TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › Devon Rex--Anyone own one? How are they like?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Devon Rex--Anyone own one? How are they like?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Just saw some pix of Devon Rex on Flickr and they look very interesting and cute. I am wondering if anyone owns one. How are they like? Quiet, calm? or Hyper like my Bengal, Rupert? Do they get along with other cats? Any inputs will be helpful. Thanks all!

Devon Rex,



and here is my Rupert,

post #2 of 17
What a gorgeous Devon. I love the Rexes. I have two of the Cornishes Rexes which are different in terms of the coat I know. My Cornies have short soft coats, feels like velvet. The Devons, I think are a little more wiry. Someone who knows better is sure to come along. I don't know about temperment. I know the Cornish Rexes are very high energy, inquisitive, nosy, bossy, want to cuddle, demanding, loving, etc. But I could be biased.

Tricia
post #3 of 17
you might want to PM Goldenkitty, I *believe* she used to breed either them or the cornish rexes, either way, she knows alot about rexes
post #4 of 17
A friend has 2 Cornish Rexes and they are GORGEOUS! Beautiful coats, and wonderful personalities. I don't know much about Devon Rexes, but they are gorgeous creatures, and I'm sure any kitty with a personality will get along with your handsome boys
post #5 of 17
I had their cousins - cornish rexes. Personally I like the cornies better because they hold their curly coat a lot better. Devons have too much "baldness" for my taste. Their personalities are the same tho.

Very active, can be talkative (especially those with some pointed backgrounds), like to get into things, on top of things, have "monkey" fingers - they can open doors easily. They LOVE to cuddle with you or under the blankets. They don't shed like normal cats, so less hair.

You cannot free feed rexes - they are 24/7 chow hounds and will get fat very quickly. Full grown rexes weigh about 5-7 lbs so they are on the smaller side. They like other cats, but tend to hang out with their own kind or similar build (siamese/oriental) rather then larger cats.

Nial had a person interested in one of his kittens but they have a rex. I cautioned them on the size difference. I would say a female Bengal would be better as they are smaller. I think the males would overpower the rex and possibly hurt them in wrestling.
post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
I had their cousins - cornish rexes. Personally I like the cornies better because they hold their curly coat a lot better. Devons have too much "baldness" for my taste. Their personalities are the same tho.

Very active, can be talkative (especially those with some pointed backgrounds), like to get into things, on top of things, have "monkey" fingers - they can open doors easily. They LOVE to cuddle with you or under the blankets. They don't shed like normal cats, so less hair.

You cannot free feed rexes - they are 24/7 chow hounds and will get fat very quickly. Full grown rexes weigh about 5-7 lbs so they are on the smaller side. They like other cats, but tend to hang out with their own kind or similar build (siamese/oriental) rather then larger cats.

Nial had a person interested in one of his kittens but they have a rex. I cautioned them on the size difference. I would say a female Bengal would be better as they are smaller. I think the males would overpower the rex and possibly hurt them in wrestling.
Thank you all for the info.
I did not know that it only weighs 5-7 lbs. That is pretty small. Rupert and Stewie (tabby, as seen in siggy) weighs 14lbs/piece. Rex is half the size. Yea, they might hurt the Rex....Thank you for all the info and I will reconsider. Thanks again.
post #7 of 17
GK, how come the pic on the top looks more like a Cornish to me than a Devon? The Devon pics on the CFA site looke like they have more fur than the Cornishes.

Just curious, I think the pics of the Devons on the CFA's site are cute, but I'm not as fond of the one above. They look very different to me though. Are the Devons on the CFA site not typical?
post #8 of 17
Actually cornish have MORE coat then devons. Devons have patchy coats. I've really only seen a few full coated devons like they are supposed to be. It depends on the lines - some lines in both rexes have more coat problems.

And I have no idea why you think it looks cornish - its very different in head type and body type - no cornie would have paws like that Cornish have a much more refined slendar look all over

The CFA devon is fully coated. That picture is more typical of what devon coats are most of the time. That's why I like the cornies a lot better
post #9 of 17
I am owned by three Devon Rex's. They are generally very affectionate ... lap cats. Females are 5 - 7 lbs; males, however are a bit larger. My boy is a healthy 8.9 lbs.

One of the posts noted that their fur can be patchy. All my three Devons (from different lines) have a solid cover of fur and lots of it. The fur is very short, rippley and silky. Only their necks and the top of their heads are a bit sparse. Bare patches are not encouraged and are considered a fault when showing Devon Rex's. What might confuse people is that kittens will go through one or more bald stages when they molt all their fur and look like naked cats. It will take some Devon's up to 2 years to get their final full coat of wavey, silky fur.
post #10 of 17
I have 4 Devon Rexes and they're lovely. They're very active, playful, talkative and social. They wanna be wherever you are!

When it comes to "patchy fur"... well, what it comes down to are blood lines. In Sweden we generally have very, very nice coats. Very few patchy Devon Rexes are seen here.

All my females are fully coated and the kittens I've raised have all developed full coats.

Here's my oldest Devon Rex, Geisha (definatelly no naked patches on her):



Here's the younger one, Pijor (still a lot of fur, however not very wavy):



Here's the youngest girl (the first female born in my cattery), Zombie:



The youngest one in my cattery is a stud I bought a year ago, he doesn't have as much fur as the girls I have, but still fully coated. Meet Dobby:



As long as you choose a kitten from well coated blood lines chances are very good you'll get a fully coated Devon Rex. I've seen many American Devon Rexes with wonderful fur so it's not only here in Sweden we have nice coats on Devons.
post #11 of 17
Oh, I almost forgot. I have to show my previous stud. He's got by far the best Devon Rex coat I've ever seen!

post #12 of 17
Thank you for the pictures! Beautiful Devons!

Tricia
post #13 of 17
Here are two of my three Devon's:

Chaney, our cameo and white female and Jonesie, our pointed male from Big Blue in Sweden.

post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesie View Post
Here are two of my three Devon's:

Chaney, our cameo and white female and Jonesie, our pointed male from Big Blue
Oh, maybe a relative to my previous stud and my youngest female then. There are som Big Blue cats behind them.
post #15 of 17
Wow Sol - I've never seen a Devon with that coat (your blue). His marcel looks like a Cornish !
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
Wow Sol - I've never seen a Devon with that coat (your blue). His marcel looks like a Cornish !
He indeed has a great coat. A bit to soft for my taste (I like a somewhat rough feeling on the back) but it's as close to perfect you can come.
post #17 of 17
Sol - Dobbie sure is cute. I love lilac and blue devons.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Showing and Ethical Breeding
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › Devon Rex--Anyone own one? How are they like?