I'm donating my hair to locks of love today.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, today's the big day, i'm going to get my hair cut and donate it. I donate to locks of love every few years
They make wigs for people with illnesses such as cancer whose treatments make their hair fall out- they help a lot of children as well. Colin measured my hair for me last night- it's 25 inches long....locks of love needs 10 inches of hair for a donation- so that's how much i'm donating. I let it grow pretty long so that my hair wouldn't be too short after i donate it (i hate short hair on me) so it'll still be at least medium length after it's cut.
Wish me luck! My appointment's at 1

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats awesome!!!
My little sister does that occasionally, I can't stand to let my hair get long enough!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck!
My hair's like 3" long right now, so I'd have a lot of growing to do!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! I'm a little nervous- i'm hoping my hair won't be toooooo short once it's done, but i know it's for a good cause.
My best friend Renae is growing out her hair too to donate it.
Mine grows soo fast that it really doesn't take too incredably long for me to grow it and donate it. I try to do it as much as i can.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so sweet. I can't handle long hair or else I would love to do that. What an awesome gift! Some one will be so happy with their new wig.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried to donate mine before, they wouldn't take it cause I had it colored....any type of bleaching (highlights/lowlights) makes the hair unacceptable for Locks of Love.... I was so mad. I don't understand why it wouldn't work..... but they wouldn't take it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

I tried to donate mine before, they wouldn't take it cause I had it colored....any type of bleaching (highlights/lowlights) makes the hair unacceptable for Locks of Love.... I was so mad. I don't understand why it wouldn't work..... but they wouldn't take it.
That's weird. I wonder why they won't take it?
I don't color mine at all so i guess that's why i can donate mine?? / Humm i better tell my friend Renae about that- she colors hers all the time. Thanks for mentioning that.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

I heard that too, they won't take it if it's been processed at all

so how do you do this? where do you go? my hair is more than long enough and its driving me nuts lately so I'm thinking of cutting it off, and since I'm getting it cut anyway....

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They can't do colored hair because as coloring fades on your natural head, it will fade and change on the wig as well. The person would then be left with an ugly wig or would have to pay to restore it. Not good either way.

Cally

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well i guess i wouldnt be able to donate either! i have white hairs already so dying is a must!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Way to go! It'll be good shorter for Spring.

They won't take permed hair, either, any hair with chemical processes in it. I would love to donate mine, I am tired of it long.

Does anybody know a great stylist in the Victoria BC area? It's very hard to find a beautiful haircut on somebody here, even the newspeople on TV have awful haircuts. Vancouver is the place to go, I think, but it's about four hours one way with car and ferry.

Anyway, post pics after you get it cut! Good luck.