Cats and Pork

wickedkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hiya,

I happen to be having an argument with someone over whether or not cats can actually digest pork. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that they can't, but if anyone could actually throw some light on the situation that would be really helpful.

Also is it true that they actually digest fat at all and basically get the fatty acids that they need directly from the meat?

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard something similar but tbh I'm not sure of the facts. Pork isn't used very often in cat food but I do buy one brand that has a pork flavour (hi life) and my cats enjoy that. One of the Hills prescription diets has also recently changed their formula from beef based to pork based (over here at least). I sometimes give my cats raw meat but I never give them raw pork.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar occasionally has the pork based hi-life pouch, it's probably his least favourite out of all of them - actually it's the only one he's turned his nose up at and he isn't a fussy eater. I don't know about pork being undigestible, but raw pork is definitely a no-no.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
PORK FAT is not digestable to cats or dogs .... Oh and it is HIGHLY allergic in animals exposed to it

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

One of the Hills prescription diets has also recently changed their formula from beef based to pork based (over here at least).
I find that interesting
considering my vet told me NEVER to feed pork to a feline.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sadie's Mom

I find that interesting
considering my vet told me NEVER to feed pork to a feline.
Hmmm that is interesting. Pork fat is the 4th ingredient of Hills C/D dry.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I must admit, though, that I did not push the vet for an explanation for her view about pork. So, I can't tell you why she said this.