Hi! Maybe I lost you at the very beginning? Just in case that's what you meant, and not a question about the picture, which Heidi addressed in some more detail, here goes:
1) To have an avatar of your own cat, you must start with a picture of your cat. If you do not have a digital camera, you can get them on a cd-rom when you take your pictures to get developed.
2) To use the picture as an avatar, it should be in a .jpeg or .gif type format (the file extension on the file name of the picture).
3) The picture must be very small. You have to have a program that allows you to "See" or "open" the picture. Then you have to resize the picture to make it small. Somewhere in your picture program will be a way to resize pictures.
4) When you resize a picture for on-line use, there will be a box that shows you how many pixels wide and how many pixels "high" your picture currently is. Whichever number is larger, go to that box and change the number to 50, for 50 pixels. The other box should automatically change to keep the relative size the same.
5) When you have resized the picture to be at most 50 pixels X 50 pixels (or 50 pixels by something smaller) in size, you probably have to resave or rename the picture. Do that, but make sure you are using "SAVE AS" so you can choose the "save as" a jpeg, gif a file type that ends in .jpg, .jpeg or .gif (I named my picture Sheldon Avatar
6) If your program is like my program, if you are saving it as a .jpeg file, you will have to choose the level of quality before saving. I usually go with "medium" (or a 5), just because it makes the number of bytes in the file smaller, and I can't see a real difference in quality (or digital camera isn't so good to begin with).
Now just make sure where, in your computer, you saved that teeny picture file.
Now you are ready to go to The Cat Site to "upload" the file to use as an avatar.
When you became a member of the site, you filled out your profile and chose the options for what to display. Do you get any Private Messages ever? All this stuff is under the same general heading.
Look up at the top of the site - scroll up - right below the Royal Canin ad is a series of seven thin long "buttons" -
user cp register calendar members faq search home
You would click on the far left button "user cp"
When you do that, just underneath those same buttons it says "The CatSite.com Forums > User Control Panel for ......." (It tells you where you are). Underneath that are seven more options:
My vB Home, Edit Profile, Edit Options, Change Password, Edit Buddy List, Edit Ignore List, Private Messaging.
Mine show up as dark blue letters on grey background.
Click on Edit Options. Scroll all the way down to the bottom where it shows your avatar. Click on the brown button next to your avatar that says "Change Avatar".
A screen that says "Thank You for Updating Your Profile" comes up while your hourglass says to wait. You didn't do anything wrong - just wait!
Then the pre-existing avatars show up. Scroll down below those. At the bottom, you'll see where it says "You can upload an avatar from your computer:" all the way on the right is a brown "button" that says "browse." Click that.
A "dialogue box" should pop up. You have to be able to tell that dialogue box where to look for your picture - if you need help with that, let us know!
If your computer is like my computer, at the very bottom of your dialogue box, the last row of "things" says - "Files of Type". In the white part next to that, my computer automatically has in there "HTML files." You won't see your picture unless you change this!
Click on the little down arrow next to that, and scroll down the list and choose "All Files (*.*) Once you click that, you should be able to see your small picture file if you have the computer looking in the right place! Highlight the picture you are going to use for your avatar.
If you did not make your picture small enough, I don't know what happens. I'm giving it a try right now, and my hourglass has been pouring sand back and forth for a LONG time.
If you did make your picture small enough, after a minute or two it should take you back to the very beginning page you were on once you had hit the "user cp" button.
Now - you can either go click "Edit Options" and scroll down to see if it worked and what it looks like, Or you can go to the upper left corner and click on TheCatSite.com Forums - and go look at a thread you participated in and check out your avatar!
I just changed the Shelly avatar to Donut Shelly!
Does this help?