Rare and Most Expensive Cats

swate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can anyone tell me what breed is the most expensive and what breeds are rare? I look forward to everyones input.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Sokoke is a very rare breed.

First generation bengal cats which are 50% asian leopard cats, go for about $4,500.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank your for your input. That was fast! Are threre alot of bengal breeders?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems to be now
- but you have to be careful - you don't want to be dealing with anything less then a F4 generation Bengal unless you know what you are doing.

Singapuras are kinda rare - not very common.

Why are you curious about rare, expensive, and "tea cup" cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my wife and kids want to start showing cats, and mayby breeding them? I dont want to jump into anything to quick and would like to get as much info as possible. As a family we would like to deal with a breed that isnt common, something a little exotic. We have added a room to our house (500 square feet) with air and heat etc. but like I said I would like to do alot of research before we move any further, and catch a few cat shows.

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well researching and taking things slowly is a very good approach on your behalf. I know in my case I read up all I could about my breed (Balinese), feline genetics, and general breeding books for about two years before I got my first kitten on the active list, also find out about any diseases the breed in known for that you have to test for. I also had a pet Balinese which is one of the best ways of finding out about the breed.

Also going to lots of different shows from different registries (there are quite a few main ones in the US if you are there) and getting an idea of what the standard is for the breed you like. Meeting breeders and talking to them about showing gave me some invaluable advice. Also getting a show mentor is very helpful as the shows can be confusing when you are starting out (as in my case!).

I am a novice breeder in my first year. My foundation Queen is still a kitten and I feel like I am learning everyday. You have found a wonderful resource with the Catsite, there are some great breeders here that can offer you some great advice on showing and maybe eventually breeding. Also if you decide to breed try and save up a good bit of money for any surprises (like a C-Section) as you won't be making any money at all!

This by no means a complete list just some observations made by a novice!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Figure out the breed you want first. When you do decide to show (which is recommend before you do any breeding), get a nice show alter and work with that breed and learn as you show. Also, you will make contact with other breeders so you can hook up with them for a nice show/breeder.

I also recommend you start with a breeding female - not a male. Males have special needs that most novices are not prepared to handle. You can make contacts so that when your female is old enough to breed (not too young) you will have breeders with stud cats that you can take her to.

Make a list of the type of cats you like and the grooming requirements. Many longhairs look very pretty in the show hall - but its a ton of grooming that goes into that cat well before stepping into the show ring.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Make a list of the type of cats you like and the grooming requirements.
I agree, you need to do that there's so many personalities in the different breeds. Do you want active, calm, quite, a talker etc.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know where you're located swate so, here's my list - at least for the US.

1. Burmese and European Burmese
2. Tonkinese
3. Korats (extremely rare)
4. Singapuras
5. Havana Brown
6. Chartreux

Notice that these are SH breeds....

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by swate

Thank your for your input. That was fast! Are threre alot of bengal breeders?
Yes, there are tons of bengal breeders. A few too many in my opinion.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just recently read on cat fanciers' association site that these 3 breeds are so rare they are almost extinct Korat, Turkish Angora, and LaPerm. That info was in the FancyMews issue under legislative issues. What do consider rare? I feel most cat breeds are rare. As for price it really depends on the titles that the parents carry. If you want a kitten from a National Winning cat you will pay thousands for it no matter what breed it is. I feel Somalis are rare and pet prices run from $700-$1000 but if you want kitten from a National Winning Somali you will pay alot more. I say go to cat shows and decide which breed you like best. Talk with breeders and get a kitten to show in the alter class before you decide to breed.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
T. Angoras are NOT rare - there are plenty of breeders in the US. LaPerms are not common, Korats are less common too. What I consider "rare" are the Singapuras - haven't seen them in shows for a very long time. I don't think there are that many US breeders.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

T. Angoras are NOT rare - there are plenty of breeders in the US. LaPerms are not common, Korats are less common too. What I consider "rare" are the Singapuras - haven't seen them in shows for a very long time. I don't think there are that many US breeders.
doesn't Flisssweetpea have Singapuras? Tolstoy & Lily? they are beautiful cats
LaPerms are those curly-haired kitties, a bit like the Rexes (I don't know which one is curly, sorry
) and what is a Korat or Sokoke? I have never heard of those breeds either!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Korats I think are Tailand's native cat. They are blue with silver ticking and green eyes. You also have the Russian Blues which also are blue with silver and green eyes but totally different in looks.

Korats have very short coats (like a burmese) and have a more "heart shaped" face.

LaPerms are a natural mutation of curly coat - not related to either the devons or the cornish. They come in long and short hair - kinda like a plushy teddybear type of cat - round body like a British SH. I got to pet one at a show to see the difference - they are really different

I've heard of the Sokake - but never seen one other then pics on the net.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What makes a breed considered rare? Like I said imo Somalis are rare with registration numbers 300-400 a year. Turkish Angoras numbers are less. So imo Turkish Angoras are rare.

This is from cfainc.org so CFA feels Turkish Angoras are rare.

Some rare and exotic breeds are kept alive by a devoted following of people who value them for their distinct personalities and beauty. A sampling of these, with the total numbers registered worldwide with CFA in 2005, include:

* the mysterious and ancient Korat (93);
* the Turkish Angora, saved from extinction once before by a breeding program in the Ankara Zoo (250);
* the unique curly coated La Perm (24).

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I usually see a Singapura or two at the TICA cat shows I go to. I really like them, and if I ever stop breeding bengals, I'll probably get one as a pet.
Right now, I think my bengals might be too rough on a Singapura.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

doesn't Flisssweetpea have Singapuras? Tolstoy & Lily? they are beautiful cats
LaPerms are those curly-haired kitties, a bit like the Rexes (I don't know which one is curly, sorry
) and what is a Korat or Sokoke? I have never heard of those breeds either!
Here's a link for the Sokoke http://www.fanciers.com/breed-faqs/sokoke-faq.html

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I looked them all up on the CFA site and I have to say that those LaPerms are the cutest little things!! The Korats are beautiful and the Sokokes remind me of Bengals a bit.... I think I'll still stick with an Aby or Meezer one day, maybe both!!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a breeder nor do I show, but I think the foremost important question before starting is "Are you a cat person?".

Do you have any cats now? I am sure our members who are breeders think of their cats as family, not only income, and I would hope you would think the same.

My 2 cents...