Water Usage

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So this afternoon I woke up to find a notice at our door. Apparently a few apartment buildings, including mine, are over using the water. They asked us to report any leaks asap. If they don't hear from us the water department will visit each room. I never heard of such a thing! I am nervous b/c we never told them about Benson(we have to pay $100 per cat) & we have taken that pressure valve off the shower.

Which uses less water: Shower or Bath?

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to put the pressure valve back on before they inspect. I don't think you are allowed to alter plumbing in an apartment without notifying the landlord (at least my rental agreement says that)

Normally showering takes less water, but if you take a 20-30 min shower it might use equal to a bath.

Is there anywhere you can take the cat while they inspect? a freinds just so you don't have to shell out the hundred bucks

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a really easy way to find out: Close the drain plug, and then take your normal shower letting the water fill the tub.

Almost everybody uses more water in the shower.

Surprisingly, doing the dishes by hand uses more water than most dishwashers.

The water department doesn't care if you have cats. They really don't care about anything but water. However, sometimes the landlords come around with them, so I'd put them somewhere else too. We used to have inspectors out the wazoo, and none of them could have cared less what we were doing in our apt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

There is a really easy way to find out: Close the drain plug, and then take your normal shower letting the water fill the tub.

Almost everybody uses more water in the shower.

Surprisingly, doing the dishes by hand uses more water than most dishwashers.

The water department doesn't care if you have cats. They really don't care about anything but water. However, sometimes the landlords come around with them, so I'd put them somewhere else too. We used to have inspectors out the wazoo, and none of them could have cared less what we were doing in our apt.
Just as I was finishing my shower I thought about the drain plug. LoL
Oh well. I worried b/c I have been taking baths more than showers lately. I am one of those people who receives a generic message and swear they are at fault. I have to watch my dish washing. I tend to run the water during the activity. Now I am afraid to do laundry. LoL

I also was thinking in the shower about putting Benson in the bedroom. They is no reason why the WD would need to go in there. I will just blame it on the cold weather. It's usually 20 degrees cooler in there. I will put the heater on for Benson though.

Thanks for the ideas....

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure its not you. There is probably either a leak in a wall or underground somewhere, or someone doing something ridiculous like running a kiddie pool in their kitchen. Normal usage wouldn't cause any sort of spike that would be noticeable.

Do your laundry! You don't have to have stinky clothes just because your landlord is mad about water (I'm assuming it is included in rent?)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I'm sure its not you. There is probably either a leak in a wall or underground somewhere, or someone doing something ridiculous like running a kiddie pool in their kitchen. Normal usage wouldn't cause any sort of spike that would be noticeable.

Do your laundry! You don't have to have stinky clothes just because your landlord is mad about water (I'm assuming it is included in rent?)
Nope it isn't
I am so waiting for the rent to go up. I guess they don't have individual meters cause then they would know what room it was.

It's just odd. They mentioned that it wasn't the first notice but I never saw anything like this in the 2 years I have been here. Maybe this is the first for my building. I did notice someone keeps lowering the temp on the water heater. I wonder.....