TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Dems seek to force a withdraw from Iraq
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dems seek to force a withdraw from Iraq - Page 3

post #61 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
I see the economy as good.

Good grief, I can remember when home mortgage interest rates were 10%.
5% is awesome.
Do you read the Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, Economist, or the like? The exchange rate and balance of trade are horrendous, and the pundits are predicting that the real estate bubble will burst very soon. You might want to read some of those links Julie provided.
post #62 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
Do you read the Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, Economist, or the like? The exchange rate and balance of trade are horrendous, and the pundits are predicting that the real estate bubble will burst very soon. You might want to read some of those links Julie provided.
the balance of trade has always been horrendous since i was born.The US makes nothing anymore..
post #63 of 71
Nope, I do not want to read those depressing links.

I do not see the the economy as being bad. I don't think it was bad when Clinton was President either.

And no one is fortune teller. There will always be forecasts and predicitons.

Move here, the economy is booming for people who actually want to work.
post #64 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
the balance of trade has always been horrendous since i was born.The US makes nothing anymore..

That is a whole 'nother thread for sure. I have so strong opinions on the above.
post #65 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
Nope, I do not want to read those depressing links.

I do not see the the economy as being bad.
So, you don't want to know any actual facts, you just want to believe what you want to believe, whether it has any truth or substance to it (apart from directly relating to your own personal experience) or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
That is a whole 'nother thread for sure. I have so strong opinions on the above.
And are your opinions based on any facts? Or, again, just your subjective viewpoint based upon what happens to be true for you?
post #66 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
It is not impossible to work one's way through college. Whatever happened to working for a few years to save money to use for college. Or going to a less expensive college. Our Community College is not near that expensive.
Many people take on-line courses.
Or go to school part-time and work full-time, it will take longer that way but it can be done.

Where there is a will there is a way.

I see the economy as good.

Good grief, I can remember when home mortgage interest rates were 10%.
5% is awesome.
As is, I'm already going to be in school until I'm nearly thirty. Community colleges don't even have my major. Online course cost the same as regular ones. If you don't go to school full-time, your financial aid package is reduced to the point you might as well not have one. So, basically my choices are be in debt up to my eyeballs when I graduate, or not do what I want to do with my life. Students who try and work their way through school the way it used to be possible to do drop out at alarming rates, and unless you live at home you pretty much can't do it.

As for refusing to educate yourself and basing opinions solely on your own life, well...

If you know links about the economy are going to be depressing... how can you say the economy is good? Shouldn't fact-based reports and articles on our economy be all sunshine and kittens if everything is as good as you pretend it is?
post #67 of 71
I do read encouraginge things about the economy and I live in a booming town.
post #68 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva! View Post
So, you don't want to know any actual facts, you just want to believe what you want to believe, whether it has any truth or substance to it (apart from directly relating to your own personal experience) or not.


And are your opinions based on any facts? Or, again, just your subjective viewpoint based upon what happens to be true for you?

So you have links to how awful the economy is and I read the news that the jobless rate is down and wages are up. You believe what you believe and I believe what I believe.
post #69 of 71
Getting back on topic here...

Lookingglass posed the question "Is this the best option for our troops?" regarding the latest Democrat proposal for troop withdrawal.

I understand why she asked the question that way, but with all due respect, I think it's the wrong question. I believe the question should be, "Is this the best option for the US?" The troops represent the United States and are carrying out US foreign policy - they are not a separate entity - whatever helps them complete their mission successfully can be said to be "the best option".

A timetable for withdrawal is ludicrous. No war can or should be prosecuted with the enemy's full knowledge of when the last US soldier will be leaving Iraq. When in the history of warfare has such a plan ever been used with success?

The Democrats know this but are pursuing these reprehensible withdrawal schemes because they need to keep the far left faction of their party, which sadly is increasing, happy.

Quite frankly, at this point the Democrats are heavily invested in seeing our involvement in Iraq end in defeat. Those 2008 elections are looming.
post #70 of 71
The problem in Iraq as some have pointed out is that we're in the middle of a civil war. There were 77 car bombings in Iraq in February - 44 of them were Baghdad.

We have armed and trained the Shiites and Sunnis - people who hate us and each other - to a degree I never would have guessed we would do.

The country is in chaos whether we stay or go or whenever we go. Saddam Hussein wasn't a good guy - not in any book. But we're responsible for more death in that country than he ever was.

The amount of violence is escalating - this is Vietnam in 1968 (in 1968 Tet hadn't happened yet, and the war wasn't as unpopular yet as this one already is). We've been in Iraq four years. The draft for Vietnam was instituted in 1969. HR 163 to reinstitute "national service" was soundly defeated in 2004. Because the war is so unpopular, I do not believe the U.S. would ever institute a draft to bring more troops to Iraq.

It doesn't matter whether or not I think we should leave Iraq.

IMO we won't leave Iraq for two principle reasons:

1) Because we've invested so much in Iraq, we want the oil fields to keep pumping and the feeds to the Ceyhan pipeline moving, and

2) because we would be accused by the world (and correctly so) of war crimes. The Hague and Geneva conventions both include provisions that one country is responsible for the safety and well-being of the civilian population when that country invades and takes control of the other.

What is happening in Iraq is just a tragedy, and whenever we leave it will be a disaster. In fact, I think we end up leaving after some type of huge disaster - like we did in Lebanon.

Apart from the human tragedy happening, museums were raided and we basically let it happen. Mesopotamia is the seat of modern civilization. The U.S. put two guards in front of the Iraqi National Museum - which had over 2 million pieces of art, including the original code of Hammurabi. Every major museum and archeological site in the country has been looted, and we let it happen.

We had over 500 people guarding the main oil complex at Basra and squads guarding every major pipeline transfer point, and two military police guarding the Iraqi National museum.

I believe our presence simply delays the inevitable, but we have no choice but to stay.

Laurie
post #71 of 71
"After rancorous debate, the U.S. House has approved legislation challenging President George W. Bush to pull U.S. troops out of Iraq by fall 2008." The vote was 218 for - 212 against.

The Dept. of Defense's emergency supplemental $93.4 billion in 2007 to help US Forces in Iraq and Afghanistan was approved - but requires withdrawal of U.S. combat troops from Iraq by Aug. 31, 2008.

Bush says he'll veto the Bill.

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/20...007&frame=true

Laurie
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Dems seek to force a withdraw from Iraq