Depression?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ever since we lost Davidson
on Monday... Harley has been okay, he's been a little more cuddly and needy towards me, but today its gotten really bad. He cried most of the night, and when I got back home this morning I could hear him in the hallway when I walked in

I got in the apartment and he won't leave my side. While I'm sitting here typing this, he's got his little paw on my arm and won't leave my side, at all.
I keep cuddling him and telling him its okay, but I just want him to be okay.

He's been eating okay, 1 pouch a day of his wet meal and he's eating his dry too. And he's drinking and has normal litterbox behaviour as well.

Is there anything I can do to ensure that he doesn't get too down/sad? Is there such a thing as kitty depression?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Ever since we lost Davidson
on Monday... Harley has been okay, he's been a little more cuddly and needy towards me, but today its gotten really bad. He cried most of the night, and when I got back home this morning I could hear him in the hallway when I walked in

I got in the apartment and he won't leave my side. While I'm sitting here typing this, he's got his little paw on my arm and won't leave my side, at all.
I keep cuddling him and telling him its okay, but I just want him to be okay.

He's been eating okay, 1 pouch a day of his wet meal and he's eating his dry too. And he's drinking and has normal litterbox behaviour as well.

Is there anything I can do to ensure that he doesn't get too down/sad? Is there such a thing as kitty depression?
Yes, I believe that there is honey. The best thing would be to give some extra attention to him by playing and petting.

I've never seen this suggested, but perhaps some Feliway may help. It is supposed to be calming.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be that he is really worried about YOU, too. Keeping his little paw on your arm - that is SO sweet. He knows you've been trying to comfort him, and he wants to make sure you receive some comfort, too!

mandm1213

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i'm so sorry that Harley isn't doing too well right now. it's probably just fully sunken in... i don't have any suggestions... other than to just keep loving him with all that extra attention

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it hasn't been long and no one can replace Davidson but have you considered getting another cat? I haven't experienced this behavior. Mom had 5 cats and when Buddy died, no one seemed to care. I don't if it was b/c Buddy was a loner or b/c their are other cats in the house. Spunky did miss Lucky/Molly when they moved with me but he recovered quickly and found a new friend in Cello.

I guess it was more for us but when one of our cats died we always got another kitty shortly after.

4badcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kenz - we went through the same thing last month with Max, when we lost Paddy. It broke my heart - he was running into corners mewing, looking for him, scratching at every closed door and crying.

To be honest, I just gave him all the love he was looking for - extra playing, lots of cuddles and fuss. Gradually he has come back to normal - I am sure he still knows smething is missing, but I think he has, if not exactly forgotten, at least stopped hurting. He is still extra loving and affectionate, but the pain seems to have gone.

I guess cats don't grieve quite as long as humans?

I am sure Harley will be fine - it is such early days yet - just give him all the love he is asking for - it will help you as well

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crazyforinfo

I know it hasn't been long and no one can replace Davidson but have you considered getting another cat?
I was going to suggest this as well.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sophia went through this too Kenz, all she knew for her 8 years of life was her big sis, so it's only natural Harley is feeling the loss too, they were very close...don't forget also he knows you and John are sad too. Talk to him to ease his mind, he's confused..I'm sure you probably have already, but keep reassuring him.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Sophia went through this too Kenz, all she knew for her 8 years of life was her big sis, so it's only natural Harley is feeling the loss too, they were very close...don't forget also he knows you and John are sad too. Talk to him to ease his mind, he's confused..I'm sure you probably have already, but keep reassuring him.
I agree completely. We (humans) have to go through a rather drawn out grieving process, and I believe that our fur babies have a grieving process of their very own. It will probably just take time for his heart to heal, as it will yours and Johns. Keep playing with him and cuddling him and giving him special treats. Eventually, time will heal all of your hearts.
I'm still praying for you and John and Harley.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give him so much love and attention, it just breaks my heart and I want to be sure that I do everythign I can for him

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I give him so much love and attention, it just breaks my heart and I want to be sure that I do everythign I can for him
I really think that you are! You are a wonderful kitty mom and you are doing all of the right things. He just needs time and unfortunately we can't provide that. Keep doing what you are doing girl, its the right thing.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is going to heal the same way you will Kenz. He's lonely without his little brother, as I am sure you are, too. Just give him time...when you're both ready, a friend is a good idea.

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww bless his heart.
I agree, wait until it feels right for both you and Harley to get him a new pal. I think he's greiving right with you. Just keep comforting him, and with that, you'll be comforting yourself. Nothing is more comforting than a cat sitting next to you purring and enjoying some loving.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do think there is such thing. I am still praying for you, John, and sweet Harley.
I am sure he'll be okay, though. You are a wonderfully sweet and caring kitty mom, Mackenzie and I mean that!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hissy would tell you to sit with him and talk to him. Tell him what happened. It sounds a little silly, but it worked more than once with Fred. He lost several companions over his life, and since he raised every one that ever came to our home, grieved each time. He was fine after a little while, but there always came another kitty in need, and we had a place for them.

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats get depressed. They also pick up on your feelings. Of course Harley is going to be sad for awhile, he loved Davidson just like you did. As long as he is eating and using his litterbox he'll be ok. It's going to take some time. Take care.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jaffa grieved terribly when his brother Magpie died. He seemed to suffer from some sort of separation anxiety and cried whenever he was separated from me. He followed me everywhere and it was about 2 months before he was happy to sleep on the bed in an evening (his favourite place) while I was in the living room next door. To be honest I think what pulled him out of that was taking him to my mum's at xmas (not intentional - I'd just left it too late to get him in a cattery over xmas and had planned on taking both of them but Magpie died at the end of October). The change of scene seemed to help him as when he got back home he was much better. Cats do grieve and I think I read they can be affected for up to several months by the loss of a housemate. I think another cat might be a good idea too, but I wouldn't rush into it. Harley needs some time to grieve just like you do before he's ready for a new friend. Just give him lots of attention and cuddles in the meantime.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ckatz

Cats get depressed. They also pick up on your feelings. Of course Harley is going to be sad for awhile, he loved Davidson just like you did. As long as he is eating and using his litterbox he'll be ok. It's going to take some time. Take care.
But, in the meantime, give him tons and tons of hugs, cuddle and love.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sadie's Mom

But, in the meantime, give him tons and tons of hugs, cuddle and love.
He's definately getting A LOT of cuddles and love from me & John

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Cats grieve as strong as humans do and each works through it in their own way and their own time. The best thing you can do for the both of you is to continue doing exactly what you are doing. What helps me most when I lose one of mine is to focus my attention on the surviving cats that are grieving. Give comfort to each other.

And the time may come that you want another companion for the both of you. Do that when you are ready.