We are so stupid.......

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

And now Addie has to miss her spay surgery.

I got up this morning, all ready to take Addie in to the vet for her spay surgery when my eye happened to come across something terrible. A food dish!!!!!! We picked them up last night, but we must have missed Lola's. I know there wasn't more than a tablespoon of food left in there, but I don't know if Addie ate it.

I called the vet and they said I could still bring her in and the vet might make her vomit or at least would evaluate her and decide if they can still do the surgery, but I can't do that. First off, I don't want her to have to throw up. Second, I can't afford anything extra, it took forever to save for this surgery alone. If they do anything extra and charge me, or if they have her in for a while but then decide they have to reschedule anyway, it'd really mess up our finances. Lastly, we both have to work today, so if I had dropped her off and she had to be picked up, it would be hard to organize.

ARRRRG, it's just so frustrating! We were really looking forward to everyone being past their surgeries! And of course, it looks like Addie just went into her first heat a day or so ago (she's been very loud and trilling, though she is always extremely vocal). I'm so mad! We did our best to get everyone the shots and surgery they needed and we just couldn't get it together in time to catch her before her first heat!

Just needed to vent a bit. She's been rescheduled for a week from tuesday, so hopefully we won't screw that up!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Its ok sweetie. So they didnt wanna do the spay because she might of eaten a drop of food?
Thats kinda crazy,IMO.
It's because if they have food in their stomachs there is a chance they will vomit under anaesthetic and choke on it. Not a chance you want to take!

What a nightmare, I hope it all goes ok next time

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These things happen - and at least you realized that there might be a possibility that Addie could have eaten the food - that is very responsible of you to worry about possible side effects!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

It's because if they have food in their stomachs there is a chance they will vomit under anaesthetic and choke on it. Not a chance you want to take!

What a nightmare, I hope it all goes ok next time
Ahh,ok. Sorry I always wondered why they dont want food in their tummys. *blushes* I really didnt know that..............

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear this..but it is best to be safe about it..BTW, I have done the exact same thing before with the water bowl, and yes it is frustrating, but it happens..

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe it was a good thing, though. I know how hard it is to save up for these surgeries (Ophelia's spay was over $300!), but if Addie just went into her first heat then that would have definitely been an added expense. Ophelia was just going into heat when she was spayed (we didn't know as she wasn't showing any signs) and it was an extra $40.

I'm sure Addie's next spay appt. will go off without a hitch, but just think of it that it is probably better for her not to have gone in today.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What Epona said is true. They could vomit when "under" if there is anything in their stomachs and wouldn't be able to stop themselves from aspirating the vomit (breathing it into the lungs) and could suffocate on it. I definitely wouldn't want to take that chance.

Originally Posted by valanhb

Maybe it was a good thing, though. I know how hard it is to save up for these surgeries (Ophelia's spay was over $300!), but if Addie just went into her first heat then that would have definitely been an added expense. Ophelia was just going into heat when she was spayed (we didn't know as she wasn't showing any signs) and it was an extra $40.

I'm sure Addie's next spay appt. will go off without a hitch, but just think of it that it is probably better for her not to have gone in today.
Really? We called the other day to see if it would interfere with the surgery if she is in fact in heat, and they said not at all. They didn't mention any additional charges. I guess you're right, it might be best to wait anyway. I'll be sure to ask about the extra charge though. Addie's surgery will be about $300 and that doesn't count the $60 for preanasthetic bloodwork. Our vet is expensive, but they are very good. I've considered switching to save money, but I just haven't found another vet around here that I am comfortable with.

I'm not really sure she's in heat. I've never had a cat in heat because they've all been spayed before that. Well, my first cat did have kittens, so there must have been a heat, but I was like 5 so I only remember naming her babies (I believe they were Tiger, who I desperately wanted to keep, Patches, Spot and Fraggle Rock.....They were all renamed when they found homes. Cody, the former Spot, is still alive and well at my cousin's house) and having to give them away.

How do I know for sure that she's in heat? And how long does a typical heat last?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Is she rolling around on the floor, and sticking her butt up in the air at you? I'm not sure how long it lasts, but I believe 5 or 6 days. A breeder could tell you that.
It might really be for the best that the OP had to be postponed. As I understand it, the uterus is engorged with blood during heat, so the OP is riskier at that time. That's why a lot of vets charge more.
for Tuesday.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully things will work out and she can get spayed soon.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw - poore Addie! Thank heavens she has a responsible meowmy that noticed the food dish! I hope all goes well!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there any low cost spay and neuter clinics nearby? They are much cheaper, and all they do is spay and neuters, so in my opinion are better than the regular vet.

I know and trust the local low cost spay and neuter clinic and would always take a kitty there rather than a vets.

They certainly don't NEED the bloodwork unless there's something wrong with them already.

Vets charge a fortune because they don't want to be doing spay and neuters all day - they want to see sick kitties. It's their way of keeping down the number of "routine" spay and neuters.