Is this a good deal?

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awhile back I posted about maybe(someday) getting a sun conure......well I found one on petfinder and I have been corresponding with the girl that has him, for a few weeks. Anyways-shes aksing $300.00 for him, his cage and accesories. I checked with the pet store and they usually sell those birds for around $250.00 and thats just the bird!!

So what do you all think?? Should I, or shouldnt I??

~PS~
Heres a link to the beautiful creature.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...&ct=image&cd=3

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
That bird is gorgeous!
I don't know if it is or not, but if you are concerned about losing your house and not being able to make the payments, I'm not sure if paying $250 for the bird is a good idea right now. You could always buy one when you are more financially stable, just my opinion.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Suns are LOUD!
Most second hand birds have baggage, I'd ask MANY questions and if possible, visit the bird first.
I'd also ask for vet records.

Having done parrot rescue, I can tell you that most of the baggage that second hand birds come with is not at all pleasant to deal with, and it takes a very long time to overcome, if they overcome it at all.

As for price, yes, that's a good deal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

That bird is gorgeous!
I don't know if it is or not, but if you are concerned about losing your house and not being able to make the payments, I'm not sure if paying $250 for the bird is a good idea right now. You could always buy one when you are more financially stable, just my opinion.
Yeah I know. I really dont have that kind of $$$. I would love to have him though!! I just wondered if it was a good deal??

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Arlyn on all points. I've known a few sun conures in my time, and they all seem to have attitude/biting issues, not to mention the need for earplugs, LOL.

If the bird is a total sweetie, then yes, $300 is a great deal, but if the bird has issues, then I think it's less of a deal. And I agree too, that since you are facing so many financial issues that you should consider what you NEED vs what you want. Right now may not be the time to take on a new animal with unknown issues.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's possible to say without knowing what his level of tameness is or whether he was hand-reared and how much he has been handled since. I am not sure about the going rate in the US, but I would imagine that to be a fair price if he is very tame. If he isn't though, that is way way too much, prices for an aviary/breeder bird I would expect to be no more than a third of the price of a good pet bird. Among those I would count many that had developed behavioural problems due to inappropriate (or no ongoing) behaviour modification training.

For example - Jasper my Senegal was £300 (nearly $600) and is super-tame and had been hand reared and handled well to retain tameness. An untame Senegal goes for around £80 to £90.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are comfortable right now. But I always ask myself if I NEED something or I just WANT it
Most times I really don't need the object - just wishful thinking.

Remember - food, clothing, shelter comes first

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

That bird is gorgeous!
I agree, why would you ever bring a new pet into a situation like that? What if you do end up loosing your house? The bird may or may not be able to come with you. So then the poor thing would have to go through the stress of yet another new home. Plus what if he ended up having health problems? You probably wouldn't be able to afford that either. There will be more good deals. Right now probably just isn't the best time.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say that's a good deal, but I would ask the lady (and yourself) a few questions.

Why is she rehoming him?

How tame is he? Will he go to strangers, or at least tolerate them? Can he perch on your finger? What kind of attention is he used to getting?

What was he fed (this will give you a good idea about how much she tried to care for him to begin with)?

Have you owned a parrot before? What do you plan on feeding him? Do you know how to handle a bird that may not have been treated well in the past and already has bad habits? If not, I would not suggest a Sun as a first bird. They are bossy, independent, destructive, noisy, difficult keep from being "one person" birds, tend to get aggressive if they don't get their own way, and messy. Suns are VERY loud. I have to repeat that. I have had more than one in the past. I love them, but now I have two Dusky conures instead, and they are much easier to care for and train. If you've never had a bird before, Suns will not give you a good impression. On the good side, they are clowns, can be very affectionate (with their selected person, and this person may not end up being you in the end), smart, and are absolutely beautiful.

There's just so many questions I'd have for your and the previous owner before I gave you my opinion... I hope you make the right decision!
Good luck!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah... I think you implied you weren't going to get him from one of your posts. At least now you have a chance to read up on parrot care and training.

Next time you get bird fever, try getting a cockatiel or green cheek conure first.
They are much easier to handle, especially if hand-reared and still young when you get them! An "older bird" will have issues you would have to deal with, and if you're not experienced with birds, the habits will get worse.

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've seen that picture before, I don't think that's an actual picture of *the* bird you would get but just a general picture of a sun conure. I'm not sure if you knew that or not.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

Next time you get bird fever, try getting a cockatiel or green cheek conure first.
They are much easier to handle, especially if hand-reared and still young when you get them! An "older bird" will have issues you would have to deal with, and if you're not experienced with birds, the habits will get worse.

Also not to try to tell you what you should do or anything, but if your son who has asthma is young and living with you, I would strongly consider whether getting a bird at all is a good idea - they produce huge amounts of dust from their feather sheathes breaking down, and having one around can really exacerbate respiratory problems! I thought I'd mention it because not everyone is aware of that. Definitely avoid cockatiels for that reason, they are one of the species that produce most powder.

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

they are one of the species that produce most powder.

I'll attest to that, I've got 6. My living room gets really dusty if I don't keep up with it.