Their favourite toys are the cheapest!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our girls have the most fun out of the cheap kitty toys. The expensive stuff we've bought they've played with for a little bit, then got bored with. The cheap stuff they play with for ages.

They LOVE helium balloons. We got 2 foil ones last time, and one wasn't tied off properly, but the other one was and has lasted 3 weeks now and still provides plenty of entertainment. They're a couple of dollars each.

I bought a pack of little colourful springs like these ones which got delivered today:

I got them 2 loose ones from a pet store recently for 50c each, and they had so much fun, but lost them under the stove, so I bought a pack. Smudge is currently chasing after one around my feet, and Stumpy has been carrying one around in her mouth, knocking it down the stairs, carrying it back upstairs, then knocking it down again

Their other favourite toy is the little furry toy mice. They think they're the best toys. Basically they love anything small they can bat around and preferably carry in their mouths as well.

They have sooooo much fun playing

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cappy LOVES those springs! We have them in all sizes though.. I think I paid like 2-3 bucks for a pack of 10 or so around christmas time.

I also love them becuase they don't break if I step on them.

But Cappy's all time favorite toy is a necklace from last years festival. They handed them out if you played the one game.. I broke mine though, so it was like a long string with beads on it. He drags it all over the house.

Cost me a total of $1 to play the game, lol.

The rest of the cats are happy with a piece of scrap paper crumpled into a ball.
Not picky at all.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
best toys are a plan old bag or box

but those look cool i think i will get some next time i swing into the pet store.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leto86

The rest of the cats are happy with a piece of scrap paper crumpled into a ball.
Not picky at all.
Yup, it's taken me a while to learn that - now I know what they like, buying toys is so much more fun!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG! I literally have hundreds of those springs! I spent $30 buying them in the pet store once.
Everyone here goes nuts over them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

OMG! I literally have hundreds of those springs! I spent $30 buying them in the pet store once.
Everyone here goes nuts over them!
You know I saw them, and thought "why would a cat want to play with a plastic spring???", but bought a couple anyway.

I think they roll around easily which is why they love them....

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Cheap toys can sometimes be better than the more expensive ones. If they get lost or ripped to shreds you can just buy more and you always get plenty in a packet anyway. My favourite is a bag with a little catnip pillow, mouse, bouncy ball and one of those plastic cages with a bell in it for $1.55us

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cheap toys are best! Mia loves a crumpled up piece of paper the best! You just can't tear a piece of paper around this place...the noise brings her running no matter where she is!

I've never seen those springs before...they look like loads of fun!

Hilda>^..^<

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those springy things look great!

Favourite toy with my 2 at the moment is a cardboard strip from a box of nutro pouches. It's a big, scary snake you know! We've had hours of fun with it.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of our cats would happily play in boxes all day- Sonic particularly likes old till reciepts whilst Radar just likes hoarding anything that fits in his mouth under the settee

Whilst they both love furry toy mice the problem isn't that they are expensive but that they are very hard to find

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scully's favourite is dirty socks! He walks around carrying a sock from the laundry bin and meows when its in his mouth and bunny kicks it and snuggles with it... now I keep some old socks for him but I have to wear them for a while before he will even pay attention to it.

Then there is the usual tinfoil balls, milk jug rings
(almost) free but here anyway so they may as well have them and hair elastics!

As for toys, I make them little catnip sacks that cost me my scraps of fabric and a thingie of catnip. they also like those fluffy balls (especially the Whiskers City ones that come with 'nip in the bag) and those sponge balls that look like little golf balls

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine like anything that they can make move. Right now their favorite thing is to take a piece of dry food from the dog's bowl when they are fed, and push it around like mad...I have all wood floors so it slides easily....

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aristotle's fav new toy is a piece of plastic strapping that was used on the Sunday paper! Our paper was evidently an end one of the bundle and the carrier stuck a piece of the strapping with the paper in our box. It's springy and he has carried it all over the house.

I've also been rolling sheets of paper into skinny tubes. He likes to play with those as well.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never seen the springs~but I know mine are just as happy with a box,plastic bag, or my daughters necklace's..............anything they can find to bat around. Lucky is notrious for rolling a crayon across the floor

Such cheap entertainment,hehehe.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Aristotle's fav new toy is a piece of plastic strapping that was used on the Sunday paper! Our paper was evidently an end one of the bundle and the carrier stuck a piece of the strapping with the paper in our box. It's springy and he has carried it all over the house.

I've also been rolling sheets of paper into skinny tubes. He likes to play with those as well.
I used to work in a warehouse and would bring strapping home all the time. My cats would go crazy! If you get the long pieces and tie a few knots in them, they are almost like a living thing...kitty pounces on one end, the other end stands straight up. It was so funny to watch!

I don't get actual cat toys anymore because the dogs always steal them and chew them to pieces
. But, they seem perfectly happy with foil balls and whatever is laying on the counter. Their favorite toy, at the moment, is my husband's drill bits that are spread out on the counter. He got mad yesterday because some of them were missing, and I said "What do you expect? We have cats!" It's his fault for leaving them in cat territory.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mine like the cheap toys too. their favorite cat forts i got for free, and their cube and tent were a mere $2-$3 each. raven likes yarn puff balls, stimpy likes sparkle puffballs, and nabu likes the rings from the distilled water we use at work.

meanwhile, we have a $20 peek-a-prize box that is ignored in the living room.
the description said this
"The Peek-and- Play Toy Box is designed to build on your cat's instinct by partially hiding some of your cat's favorite toys, and your cat will go crazy fishing them out!"
well, i guess my cats didn't read that.

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes the things you find around the house are better toys then the ones you buy at the store. My brother's cat LOVES the ring that comes off the top of the milk. She will not play with anything else. My cat's favorite toy is a little soft ball. It's about 2 inches big. He goes bonkers over it! It is rare that he plays with anything else. I love watching him hide and stare at it wide-eyed and hunts it for a while. Then he puts his rear in the air and his back legs start to move very fast and POUNCE!!!
I have a catnip mouse that I thought he would love but he will look at it as if saying "And you think I will actually play with that? Puulleesee!"

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MIne love those "Sprongs" (what I call them) they like tossing them all around the apartment I get a long stick andfish them out from under the fridge at least once a week. $2.50 for 30 can't beat it

4badcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Those springs are fab- sall have to get hold of some!! Max is happiest with a plastic sandwich bag tied in a knot and faned out to look like a butterfly - he plays with them until they are al battered, and then stands beneath the drawer where the roll of bags is kept and stands up, batting the drawer with his paw till I get another one out!!!

Melchett has the odd litten moment with plastic bags as well - Ben prefers live stuff from the garden to play with - we particuarly like garden worms when it has been raining............................go figure that one then!!!!!!!