Any flower lovers out there?

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know I haven't posted in awhile, life got hectic for a few weeks! Anyway I just had some time to sit down and catch up on here, and.....order my flowers for spring!

Does anyone here plant flower gardens? My dad and I do one every year. Here's what I've ordered so far (Hooray for $25 off codes!
) :

Strawberries! Granted, not a flower, but we have a raspberry bush at the edge of the flower garden so we decided to branch out and get something new to go with it

Purple Toad Lilies

Japanese Toad Lilies

Gladiolus (a mix and some additional fuscias)

Gaillardias

More in the post below...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Freesia

Dwarf cannas

Daylilies

Dahlias (Collarette and Pink Attraction)

There were a few others I wanted but I'll have to wait for my tax return for those!

I can't wait to plant!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like flowers....but not touching them! So no gardens for me. I do have some tulip bulbs, but I wont touch once they grow either. Last year I did Marigolds. Most plant things, once they get past the baby stage, I will only touch with sleeves and gloves on. Eh! The thought makes my skin crawl!!!

I have strawberries I planted at my Mother's (with gloves and sleeves on when they were baby plants). They took over as all the ground cover for 1/2 of the front of her house by the walk. They even try to spread over the cement walkway! The birds love the berries because we never get to pick them all. I figure we're doing something nice for them!

Someday I want lilac bushes planted at my house. DH will have to tend them of course, but they are my favorite flower, scent, color, etc!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are sooo pretty! I don't have a strictly pure flower garden, however, I have a pretty well developed native plant garden. I have perennials mostly, hate having to deal with annuals each year, and have huge rose bush garden up front.
You will have fun with all of those flowers!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have daffodils blooming now, and a few crocus. We'll have lots of tulips later (my favorite) and hyacinth, and we have a few gladiolus and lillies that come up every year. I have about 15 amarylis indoors that have buds coming up. Later summer, we have two types of dahlias, the yellow ones get as big as dinner plates! There are also nasturtiums. We've got lots of native flowers, too, that I don't know the names of yet. There's one little red rose bush, lots of lilac and holly bushes on the perimeter. All the flowers just grow on their own!

And, we have two beds of strawberries, one of raspberry canes, artichokes, peppermint (for tea), rhubarb, garlic, potatoes, zucchini, pumpkins, sugar peas, and we plant lots of lettuce to eat all summer. We have trees with apples, cherries, plums, pears, apricots, and figs. It's a regular fruit salad out there.

You are going to have so much fun, and so many beautiful flowers to enjoy. Mmm, the freesia smell so good!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

We have daffodils blooming now, and a few crocus. We'll have lots of tulips later (my favorite) and hyacinth, and we have a few gladiolus and lillies that come up every year. I have about 15 amarylis indoors that have buds coming up. Later summer, we have two types of dahlias, the yellow ones get as big as dinner plates! There are also nasturtiums. We've got lots of native flowers, too, that I don't know the names of yet. There's one little red rose bush, lots of lilac and holly bushes on the perimeter. All the flowers just grow on their own!

And, we have two beds of strawberries, one of raspberry canes, artichokes, peppermint (for tea), rhubarb, garlic, potatoes, zucchini, pumpkins, sugar peas, and we plant lots of lettuce to eat all summer. We have trees with apples, cherries, plums, pears, apricots, and figs. It's a regular fruit salad out there.

You are going to have so much fun, and so many beautiful flowers to enjoy. Mmm, the freesia smell so good!
Wow! Sounds like you have some great gardens! We stopped doing veggie gardens last year. Too many rabbits, groundhogs, etc eating them!

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your garden is going to be lovely! I love the toad orchids and those pink dwarf cannas...lovely ladies!

I've been gardening for many years now, my mom, 2 big sissies and my dad are all gardeners...guess it runs in our family! We moved to this house about a year ago and I'm just now in the process of building my new garden...I'll let you know how things develop!

In the meantime, here are some pics from our previous home...enjoy y'all!

This is angelwing datura...lovely to behold, but every part of this beauty is poisonous! (I shot this pic practically laying on my back!)

Here's a better shot of datura(please ignore the >^..^< in the foreground
)...

Pink farie lillies, white sweet alyssum and yellow 4-0'Clocks...

Lots of lovlies in the front yard...

Roses by the front door...

More in the next post...
Hilda >^..^<

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Next up are pics of My Peaceful Place...the hardest thing I had to part with when we moved from the old house. It was the brainchild of my son, Alex Jr, who wanted to build a place for me where I could sit and be at peace...it was wonderful!

This is looking eastward into the one year old garden...

Cleome, spider queen, in the foreground...

A curb-side pick up green wicker chair with white angelonia in the foreground and a morning glory bush at the left-hand side...bouganvillia behind the chain link fence...

Purple thunbergia vine and another curb-side rescue...the angel trio...

More to come...(I love to garden y'all!)
Hilda >^..^<

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plantlings ready to be put into the ground...

The next few shots are some of my glads...

More...

Hilda>^..^<

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These last pics (for now
) are of My Peaceful Place...in its 3rd year...which was last year before we moved...

Looking eastward again but now you can see how everything has grown and its all very lush now...

You can barely see the green wicker chair back there...

Looking westward towards our home...

Closeup of morning glory bush...

In between the stepping stones...

Cleomes everywhere!

Close up of cleome, spider queen...

Ok, seems to me that this is enough of my pics! I'm sure y'all are wondering when I'm gonna get done! However, if y'all want to see more flower/garden pics...I've got lots of 'em! Just let me know! I've got some great veggie garden pics as well...I'll just give you a 'taste'...hehehe...

This is what you have to do when your cantaloupe vines start crawling up your chain link fence...and their fruit just gets to heavy for the vines to withstand the weight!!!...(those are panty hose tied around them to support them as they grow!)...

Ok...just one more...I promise this is the last one...our mailbox!

Hilda >^..^<

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hilda, I think what you are calling a Datura in the backround is a Brugmansia(sp.)?
I have to get my garden picks on this computer. I have mostly perrenniels and natives. but in your climate you have a lot more you can grow. I would love to be able to winter over a brug and get it as big as yours. Have to bring it in every winter, cut it back and start again in the summer.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We mostly have daylilies and have grown them since the late 1950s. Mom has tried her hand at hybridizing but nothing was good enough to introduce.

Dad also fell in love with daffodils and they are coming up right now. If the weather holds we may have bloom in a couple of weeks. Hopefully in time for Easter.

My paternal grandfather loved four-o-clocks and was forever buying seed and planting them here to get any other color than the magenta color.

As for vegetable gardens - we gave up after losing to the deer, squirrels, rabbits and tomato horn worm.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got the book Hot Plants for Cool Climates and it has a good section on overwintering those tropical plants!!
Lets just say I grow just about everything that can be grown in zone 4B/5A!!
I have about 50 pkg of flower and veg seeds to start planting next week!!
And 56 plants overwintering in my basement under 6 banks of grow lights!!

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

Hilda, I think what you are calling a Datura in the backround is a Brugmansia(sp.)?
I have to get my garden picks on this computer. I have mostly perrenniels and natives. but in your climate you have a lot more you can grow. I would love to be able to winter over a brug and get it as big as yours. Have to bring it in every winter, cut it back and start again in the summer.
Its possible you're quite right! I know it isn't a true datura for sure but that's what the label stated that it was. I've seen these same ones at Wal*Mart and every time they are labelled as datura.

Years ago, I had another plant that looked very similar but it bore its blossoms upright...and afterwards it gave a very thorny/spiney looking seed...very unusal...it 'burst' open to reveal the seeds inside...always has reminded me of the alien eggs in the movie ''Alien''. I believe that one was actually a true datura!

This one grew so quickly and beautifully! We always had to cut it back for winter though...even here! I would mulch over it with bunched up newspapers and cover the whole thing with any available plastic garbage can. I know I have a photo somewhere of it just coming back in the early spring...let me go look for it...

Ahhh, here it is...its a reeeeally tiny pic but you can see my...uh...datura (I'll call it that cuz I'm just used to it!!! LOL!!!)...on the far right hand side of the pic, by the BBQ grill...on the right hand side you can see our purple chaste tree that was also coming back at the time...

Thanks for the info...let's see more flower pics y'all!!!
Hilda>^..^<

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Great pics, Hilda. You should join us over af VF....
Thanks!...and thanks for the invite! I've yet to make it over there although I certainly have been meaning to! I just might pop in over for a visit later on!

Gracias!
Hilda>^..^<