How to stop a PM meowing cat!

jezah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 11 month old cat named Alexis who has a major behavior issue. She cries non-stop to be let in/out of the bedroom when we are sleeping. I cant keep the door open because her brother is ill-behaved at night and claws our mattress while we are trying to sleep. So in order to keep him out we close the door, usually with Lexi outside too. She will then yowl to be let in non-stop, once we let her in she will be content for 15 minutes....so we fall back asleep....before she starts yowling again to be let out....ect ect. I cant take this. I have only a small one bedroom apartment so its not like I can lock her in another room where I wont hear her. HELP!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like both kitties need play time, and a lot of it, before you go to sleep. If your gone all day, chances are they sleep most of that time. Then when you come home they want attention, if there not satisfied they know how to get it. Obviously each one has figured out a way , yet they are kind of team working
............If you play with both of them for 1 hour, more or less, before bed, they will most likely sleep when you do.

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we place a sock in the door so stew cant raddle it..and then we place a box fan on high to drown out the sound. after a while stewie got used to our routine and knows when I get home from work we play for a few minutes then I feed him and then its night night time!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you need to shut her out of the room, then to stop the yowling you'll need to stop letting her back in. She has learned that when she meows, you'll let her in, and when she meows again, you'll let her out. If you ignore the meowing, she will learn.
It can take some time but she will learn.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like the cat clawing the bed needs Soft Claws. Then you can leave your door open all you want and he can try to scratch the bed all he wants and it won't do any damage.

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Sounds like both kitties need play time, and a lot of it, before you go to sleep. If your gone all day, chances are they sleep most of that time. Then when you come home they want attention, if there not satisfied they know how to get it. Obviously each one has figured out a way , yet they are kind of team working
............If you play with both of them for 1 hour, more or less, before bed, they will most likely sleep when you do.
I agree. Cats know how to get your attention. They are very smart. So, the cat knows if they meow you will get up and let them in. When I first got Wesley, he would run around my bedroom all the time and knock stuff over and stuff like that. He was waking me up and wanted attention. This will sound funny but what I started doing was letting him run around all day and play with him to get him tired. Then at night when I went to bed I put him in in a cat carrier and gave him a treat. At first, he did not like this at all but I was so frustrated that I would have tried anything. I would put it in the living room so I would not hear him. Then in the morning, I would go let him out. After a while, he got used to it. Then he would be so happy and purr and rub on me when I let him out. I kept that up for almost a year. Now, he usually just sleeps on my bed at the foot of the bed. Only once in a while he gets up and wakes me up, but usually it's to eat or something.

Whatever you decide to do, patience is the key! It takes a little while to train a cat but I have found cats are trainable! Some people only think dogs are trainable and cats aren't but they are!

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jezah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your input! Yes she is spayed. The play thing is probably the solution because though I am home all day I am usually working on the computer and when my b/f gets home we go out and do errands. They have a significant lack of playtime.
But we have no time....

I will try the playing, and as for giving Jinx soft-paws that would clear up one problem....the other is when he cant scratch the bed(if we just clipped his claws)he will run around like a maniac and knock everything over. They are team working....and its annoying! LOL.