Siamese Sounds

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know that Siamese are 'talkative' from everything I have been reading here and other sites, but I was wondering if anyone has recorded the different sounds their meezer makes. I would love to hear them talk.

I've been itching, no pun intended, to get back into fostering again and I want to foster Siamese cats due to my allergies to most other cats. I have been around one Siamese/Himmy mix and I was perfectly fine around him, even with him sleeping in my bed.

I've always loved the look of the Siamese and would love to share my house with them, but at the moment I have 2 cats (and 2 dogs) and I like even numbers. Now don't anyone dare say get 2 Siamese!!!
I also love Bengals but I think they may be just a little too active for my medium energy DSHs, though I'm sure Indy (Corgi/Cattle Dog mix) would love them. I visited a local breeder a few years ago for about 2 hours and had no reaction to them.

I'd also love to hear about their active antics, pictures if you have them of course
, and also tell how active they really get.

I know there are different 'types' of Siamese, so I would love to hear what the breeders have to say about them, their activity levels and talkative natures.

Thanks!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I have an ocicat (which is a combo of aby, siamese, ASH) - they are extremely active (probably from the aby and siamese sides)

I also had rexes - another active breed.

I find the most of the siamese that are NOT the traditional or applehead types are very active and very talkative. I've been showing for many years and know a lot of siamese/oriental breeders.

I love them - anything that is related to siamese ancestors - for me, the quieter cats are kinda boring....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both my DSHs do like to chat it up, especially Taz (orange/white). He will just walk thru the entire house meowing at the top of his voice. He will also do it like clockwork as soon as I turn off the lights to go to bed. He'll go on for a few minutes then settle down. I'm always wondering what he's saying.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We, on the other hand, have 2 meezers that are very, very quiet Siamese. Mika has practically no voice (birth defect) and Bijou hardly ever "talks". He does, however, purr loud enough to wake the dead.
Oftentimes we just have to look at him and talk to him for him to start purring.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an oriental shorthair kitten (same as siamese but in different non-pointed colours!) and boy is he LOUD!

I love it - I'm used to keeping birds, a loud cat is actually not as loud as a quiet bird, but I reckon a lot of people would find the volume and frequency of Sonic's vocalisations very irritating if they are only used to quiet pets!

I don't think I've got a microphone to record him atm, but if I get the chance to put up a sound file I would of course post a link on this site as I am sure you would not be the only person to be interested!

He talks so much it's incredible, and it's very expressive. I discovered that he isn't capable of playing the 'hide somewhere while mummy's doing a headcount so she panics and then walk up behind her 10 minutes later when she's on the verge of tears and ripping the flat apart' game (Radar's favourite) because he can't stay quiet for long enough. He tries, but gives away his hiding place with his talking

He makes grumbling noises when he is woken from a nap, honestly you can hear that he is kitty-swearing by the tone of his grumbly moaning voice. He calls for attention, he answers when you speak to him, and he runs around the flat making all sorts of different noises (WAOW, WOW, WAAAAAAAAAAAAH, BreeeOOOOOOOOW, MEEE-OW -which sounds like a little child saying the word miaow
)

He is hilarious and lovely

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At the moment, I have five Siamese cats (4 of my own and a "visitor" in the form of a sweet little Lilac Point girl who is here for stud service from my male) and ALL of them are extremely vocal, opinionated sorts! We are known to carry on epic conversations around here. Tonka, my male, is especially vocal, most frequently letting me know he needs or wants something by calling out to me, "Ma Ma?" in a questioning tone.

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have two Siamese and I hate when I go to someones house and talk to there cat that they don't talk back! My cat's especially Neko, love to talk they really do sound like babies some times. The other day I heard a baby on TV and thought one of the cats were stuck in something because it was more persistant than usual, Then I saw the TV, it turned on my parental instincts every time I heard it though, I thought something was wrong with the cats even though I knew it was the TV. I have no recordings but I do have pictures! I'll find the picture of when Neko was a kitten he is meowing. aww, my scanner won't work i'll try to put it up later, here they are anyways:

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Maxy24

I have two Siamese and I hate when I go to someones house and talk to there cat that they don't talk back! My cat's especially Neko, love to talk they really do sound like babies some times. The other day I heard a baby on TV and thought one of the cats were stuck in something because it was more persistant than usual, Then I saw the TV, it turned on my parental instincts every time I heard it though, I thought something was wrong with the cats even though I knew it was the TV. I have no recordings but I do have pictures! I'll find the picture of when Neko was a kitten he is meowing. aww, my scanner won't work i'll try to put it up later, here they are anyways:
Heavens I'm in love again! What beautiful kitties you have.

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Heavens I'm in love again! What beautiful kitties you have.
Thanks! I wish I could use the flash without making their eyes glow though since they are very nice clear blue. I really wish I could use m camera to get the sounds on here. Also the scanner doesn't work so I can't put on the pic of him meowing. My favorite sound is the crazy meow as I have deemed it. When they are about to climb the curtains or get zoomies or jump on somewhere they are not supposed to or try to attack a person's feet. I can't describe the noise though, it's like "bowow" in a growly voice.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Red eye" - try taping a small piece of tissue (kleenex) over the flash part of the camera - it should help eliminate the red in blue eyes

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ohhhh, your kitties are absolutely adorable!!
Please keep the pics coming! Thanks everyone for your inputs, but I want MORE!!

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Max24, your babies are beautiful.
When I take pictures, I take them on a really sunny day. It makes my cat's pupils small. Therefore you can see the blue and little or no red. My problem is although their eyes are blue in the picture, the pictures don't show their true blue color.

I have 3 Siamese and one is quiet unless she is complaining about something, while the other two are more vocal. Especially when I'm trying to open a can or pouch of wet food. I never do it fast enough for them.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't rule out an Ocicat I've only ever had Siamese until I bought Sadie. Now, I will not go back to Siamese.

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks for the camera hints! I hope the store fixes our camera soon so I can take more pics, hmmmm here's another, If Neko's eyes were open you'd be able to see their color:

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by siameseohio

Max24, your babies are beautiful.
When I take pictures, I take them on a really sunny day. It makes my cat's pupils small. Therefore you can see the blue and little or no red. My problem is although their eyes are blue in the picture, the pictures don't show their true blue color.
The pictures of Bijou and Mika in my siggie were taken outside on just such a sunny day. What you see is what the camera saw, no touchups (not that I would know how anyway) so I'd have to totally agree with you on that.

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I made a mistake. I decided to 'just look'. When will I learn.
I made the mistake to 'just look' to see if there was a local Siamese breeder. And guess what? I found one just 30 minutes away. I figured I would just take a peek. 2nd mistake.

Has anyone heard of this breeder in MA? Blue-Gem Siamese...here is their website: http://www.blue-gem.com/kittens.htm

Their cats are gorgeous and their living arrangements, well let's just say that I would LOVE to be one of their cats!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know this breeder other than what I read on her website, but her cats are gorgeous (even if a bit on the modern side, which is lively and exotic in it's own right) - she is registered with an accepted, mainstream registry association and it looks like her cats are cared for with love.

If you are interested, I would encourage you to contact her and establish a relationship. She may even allow you to visit the cattery ... and even if you don't find a kitten that steals your heart, it would still be fun to go and have a look-see!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She does have some pretty nice cats - I really like her 2 seal point queens. She doesn't have extreme cats, but they are nice. Some of the other adults I'd rather have a little more width in the ear set.

I know, I'm being picky

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know anything about the breeder, but her cats are beautiful. She has Traditional Siamese as well. Her site has a birth announcement for a litter of appleheads. I like her Moderns too. They don't seem as extreme as I'm used to seeing with moderns.

The little that I can tell from her site, her cats living arrangements do look very nice.

You're stronger then me. I'm surprised you didn't walk out of there with a kitten or without placing a deposit on one.

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by siameseohio

I don't know anything about the breeder, but her cats are beautiful. She has Traditional Siamese as well. Her site has a birth announcement for a litter of appleheads. I like her Moderns too. They don't seem as extreme as I'm used to seeing with moderns.

The little that I can tell from her site, her cats living arrangements do look very nice.

You're stronger then me. I'm surprised you didn't walk out of there with a kitten or without placing a deposit on one.
I'm only strong because I haven't actually been there!
I was 'only looking' from the safety of the internet. I have found 3 other MA breeders but one of them is raising a red flag to me. Here is the list of 4 I found for MA:

http://www.breedlist.com/breeders/si...#Massachusetts

This is the one I'm not sure of:
http://www.ShangShirl.TraditionalCats.com/

If you read the main page, you will see what I mean. A few excerpts that caught my attention:

"...but we no long want to be involved with the modern type or the association." (meaning the CFA)

"But something drew us to the TRUTH! The Traditional Siamese and the Classic Siamese are the ORIGINAL Siamese. Because of our integrity, we can no longer breed modern wedge Siamese. We honestly and in good conscience, canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t breed the modern wedge Siamese any longer. We believe it is dangerous to the Siamese breed!"

What is meant by dangerous to the breed? I know nothing about genetics, so maybe there is truth in this? Opinions?