How do I choose which pair of cats to adopt?

carousel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We're going to adopt a pair of cats from the SPCA. One pair is close to 8 years old. The brother is a gray striped & weighs 18 lbs! The sister is a smaller orange tabby and she came right up to me and sat on my lap!

The other pair are orange tabbies that look like my Garfield (who died a month ago). They're brothers and are 2 1/2. They're very shy, with one a little more out-going. They were asleep in the same hut - curled around each other. I don't know how they'll adjust to our home, which is very quiet.

Either pair of cats would stay in a spare bedroom for now, and then be confined to that room at night. (my 90 year-old mother lives with us and I can't risk her falling over them at night, if she has to get up.)

hehe - I guess I want someone to tell me which pair to adopt! The older ones are more self-assured. The younger ones will take quite a bit of patience to make them trust me and to make them comfortable. The SPCA wants the younger pair adopted together, since they're inseparable. I know I want two. The older pair could be split up, as they're not that attached, just comfortable with each other. Anyone have any words of wisdom?

mandm1213

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i think that the older pair sound sweeter, since the one jumped right up on your lap.
and because of your mom staying there. she might like to have these cats with her, the younger ones might be too crazy.

BUT!

I'm also thinking that the younger ones would be cute, because you are willing to take both and someone might come along some day and try to take one of them without the other.

i think it just depends on which ones you feel that you bonded better with. maybe you should visit them again and see if you can sit with the two pairs seperately at different times to see which ones adjust to you better and which ones you feel are calling your heart the most.

I'm sure you would be able to adapt to either pair. It just depends on how you feel about it.

Also, which ones did you want first? It's usually better to go with your original gut decision. =)

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DEFinitely the brothers. The first pair are very unequal and it's much too likely (experience talking here) the male will try to dominate the female in a serious and maybe even dangerous way in future. The other guys will be able to hold their own against each other.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, take the brothers! It's so nice when siblings can be adopted together. Bless you for taking two!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The older pair will have more trouble being adopted because of their age, so I would be tempted to take them, to spare them being stuck in a cage the rest of their life. SInce they are older and likely more mellow they would probably adjust to being confined in one room at night better than the younger ones.

Either pair would be happy to go home with you though

Congrats

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Paula. I would take the older pair since it will probably be harder for them to find homes! Good luck deciding!

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone else about the older pair. They sound darling two and will have a more difficult time finding homes. Plus, with an elderly mother in the house, older cats will be less likely to cause trouble for her.

Good luck in making your choice!!

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm a firm believer that you don't choose your cats, they choose you. When I was choosing mine, Sadie came right up to me and rubbed her head on my leg. When I picked her up, she kissed my nose. I instantly knew she was my new baby. There was no second guessing in this case.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Of course I haven't seen either, and you should pick the ones you like best. But if you're undecided, I would go with the older pair, since it is much harder for old cats to be adopted... and since they've managed to stay together for eight years, it would be really sad for the brother and sister to be split up. I'm sure they are attached to each other after being together for that long, even if it's not obvious to humans.

I also think that senior cats are more likely to be good, calm pets with an elderly person in the house.

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say go for the older pair, I agree with everyone who says they will have a hard time finding a home because of thier age. My girls were almost 8 when I adopted them, they had been in foster care for months unable to find a home because they were "older". And it was the best match up ever! Keep us posted on what you decide.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carousel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE!!

My husband and I went in last night to see both pairs. We both agreed that the younger pair of brothers were for us. So I took my Mom in to meet them this afternoon. It's a go! I'll pick them up this afternoon! While Mom & I were there, someone was adopting the older pair! How cool is that?! I'm thrilled!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great! I admit, I was feeling bad for the older kitties... but it all worked out!
Congratulations!

Eagerly awaiting pictures...

carousel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well - they're here. Mr. Kitty will now be known as Tiger (I know, about as original as Mr. Kitty!) and Smokey will be called Simba. I went to check on them and only found one! Tiger had gotten behind the armoire! Maybe it's time to get rid of that piece of furniture. My favorite Vet is out of town 'til the 19th, but they seem OK - so I'll wait 'til then, unless something comes up.

carousel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Pics pics pics

If you want to get fancy, I'd call them Red Buttons and Red Skelton
HAHA - that's cute!

Tiger is gonna be Tigger - we're giving them each a Disney name. I'll get pictures as soon as they come out from under the bed. Thankfully, they put a collar on Tigger, so I can tell them apart. They do look different, but I need to get familiar enough to recognize their markings.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awww that's great! I'm so glad that both pairs have found a new home. Congrats on your new family!

Can't wait to see pictures of them!

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yay!!! TWO orange kitties? This sounds great.
I'm so excited for you (and a little jealous too)!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carousel

HAHA - that's cute!

Tiger is gonna be Tigger - we're giving them each a Disney name. I'll get pictures as soon as they come out from under the bed. Thankfully, they put a collar on Tigger, so I can tell them apart. They do look different, but I need to get familiar enough to recognize their markings.
yippee!
new
of kitties!