Late bloomer?

errrinn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my cat in December from my exboyfriend. When I got her home, she was tiny (about the size of a roll of toilet paper, from head to butt), considering he told me they'd had her for over three months. She (and two other animals) had been left alone in his apartment for two weeks with only a few pieces of raw chicken from their freezer thrown down for them, she was greasy and apparently had never cleaned herself before I took her in, and they had never even named her!

According to the vet in January, he said she was at least 7 months old. I couldn't believe it -- not only was she quite small (probably about 3 pounds), but she hadn't gone into heat yet. But the vet checked her teeth, and sure enough, they were her permanent ones.

Does anyone else have a 9 month old cat who hadn't gone into heat yet? She weighs 6-7 pounds now, all those minor problems have been solved, she eats properly, has lots of toys she likes to play with, sleeps enough. Is this very unusual? The vet didn't find anything wrong with her in January, do you guys think she's okay?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by errrinn

Does anyone else have a 9 month old cat who hadn't gone into heat yet? She weighs 6-7 pounds now, all those minor problems have been solved, she eats properly, has lots of toys she likes to play with, sleeps enough. Is this very unusual? The vet didn't find anything wrong with her in January, do you guys think she's okay?
It sounds like she's doing much better now.
If the vet pronounced her healthy, I wouldn't worry too much. I'm not sure about the 'late bloomer' issue, but 3 of my girls were spayed in January, on their 8 month birthday. Only one of them had gone into heat by then, just the week prior to the operation. FWIW, she (Pixel) was the runt of the litter and is still the smallest one, although she 'matured' before the others.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless her heart! I'm so glad she found you to rescue her!

I don't know much about kitty heat, but I know that human girls who are anorexic are often very late coming into puberty... nature doesn't want to waste a potential pregnancy on a female who isn't in good enough shape to sustain it, y'know? So I imagine your poor kitty was malnourished for so long that her body just decided to wait for better times.

Please give your tiny little girl a snuggle for me!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad you took her in, poor little thing. I may have missed this in your post, but is she spayed now?
Also would love to see some photos