PLease oh Please I need your help!!!!!

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay.. I've gotten myself in a place.. i don't know how to get out of...

I adopted a yorkie from a rescue foundation. We spoke and I told her how we had 3 cats,, and she said that she wasn't sure how he was with cats... So we figured we would just see how it went.. Well I was so super excited and didn't read the long drawn out contract they gave me,, and on it is says, that they don't refund the $428 bucks if it doesn't work out..

Well we brought him home and he hates the cats.. I mean hates them,, he chased down 2 of them, and hurt one of them already... I've called trainers and all kinds of things. I don't know what to do... I've only had him for 4 days now.. and he's already hurt the one cat, and I have to have him on a lead all the time,, he can't run because of the cats... I tried to talk to the lady who did the adopting to see if we could find him a home without cats, but then I lose all my money....

I know this sounds like I'm cold hearted, and I'm not,, I don't know what to do... That's alot of money, and I've put alot of research and time into finding the right dog.. They wouldn't let me spend time with him and see how he reacted.. So now I'm stuck.. I love the little guy I really do.. But It's been a really hard few days..

Please someone help me... I need opinions, and don't be mad,, I'm not trying to be cold,, I've rescued several animals and never ever had this problem before.. My husband is telling me if we can't take back the dog, then I have to get rid of the cats... I'm a mess.. I love my cats... Please help me.. Please,, tell me what I should do.

Heather

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this sounds bad, but if it isn't going to work out, you will have to return him. You can't risk your cats health or your nerves and it won't be any good for the dog either.

I just can't believe they don't return your money. When we had cats returned they got back about 75% of the fee they paid.

I'm so sorry =( but it might be a good idea

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Heather,

did the contract provide for any type of "out" for you if he did not adapt well into your home?? From a legal standpoint, I'd recommend having someone who knows contract law read over it to see if you have an out. If you were in my state, I think there are some ways to get out of that contract but I know the laws vary from state to state. And, I'm not sure what you signed.

Good luck! Obviously you don't want to lose your kitties or make their home miserable. I'm sure there is a perfect home for this little guy.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a suggestion, but can you block the new dog into say the kitchen by using baby gates?? This is what I have always done with any new dogs added, and just like introducing new cats, they all get to see each other, smell each other, and eventually my cats would jump over the gate to investigate, but could jump back out in times of trouble..just a thought..Good luck to you and your babies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish.. No he can clear the baby gate,, adn really good at that..

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you will have to return him and lose the money.I know that sucks, but its the only way...you don't want to get rid of the cats!!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly, you'll have to return him.
sorry it isn't working out! has he been tested with cats at all or do you know??

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's only been a couple of days. I think you should try to seperate him from the cats and give him time to slowly adjust. If your not good with obediance training, I would suggest enlisting a dog trainers help, so you can teach him how to behave properly around cats. With some time and patient training you should be able to get them to coexist peacefully.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he trying to play or is he just mean?? I mean my dogs like to chase my cats, but the like to play~there is a difference!! What did he do to hurt your cat?? I think maybe you could give it a few days and still if it dont work, you may just have to lose out on the $$. BTW-you paid $428 to adopt a dog!!?

I hope it all works out for the best hun.

But ya know, your cats were there first!!

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
all I can say is I'm sorry its not working out at the time. I would try to give it a bit more time...no different than if you were introducing a new cat to the house...territory and all that. If not can't you maybe try to find someone who would "adopt" him from you? You may not be able to recoop all your money but maybe some??? just a suggestion.
Denise

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ClaireBear

It's only been a couple of days. I think you should try to seperate him from the cats and give him time to slowly adjust. If your not good with obediance training, I would suggest enlisting a dog trainers help, so you can teach him how to behave properly around cats. With some time and patient training you should be able to get them to coexist peacefully.
Ditto. You need to manage the situation. The dog needs to be in a crate or tethered to you at all times while you work on it.

When he LOOKS at the cats, you need to distract him: Call his name and walk the other direction happily and give him a treat. EVERYTIME. Eventually he will start looking at your for treats when he sees the cat.

When he starts doing that consistently, add a cue like "Leave the kitty!" and reward him. Then you're ready to move on to the next step.

Let him off leash BUT leave the leash dragging behind him. Be up and moving and have the cats on the other side of a baby gate (I know he can clear it, but that's why you must be there with him) and when he starts to go for the cats give your cue "Leave the kitty!" and reward him. If doesn't obey the cue, then you must redirect him with the leash.

You should be able to progress quickly like that. DO NOT LEAVE HIM UNATTENDED WITH THE CATS. Period. EVER. Crate him or put him in another room.

I think this is somethign you can work on, if you're willing. Contact a trainer or a behaviorist too.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about stacking multiple baby gates instead of just one if he can clear it? I think you need to give it more then 4 days. That is a bit harsh for your husband to say its one or the other after only 4 days. These things take time.

And I agree, you paid $428 for an adopted dog!!??!!?? If they are charging that ridiculous fee, not allowing a refund if it doesn't work out, AND not allowing you to meet the dog or have a trial run first, that is a HUGE red flag to avoid them! That doesn't exactly sound like they have the pet's best interest in mind.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's only been 4 days and cats and dogs shouldn't be introduced face to face for AT LEAST a week after moving together, and then only when they're supervised. They should never be left together unrestrained/unspuervised until you are without a doubt, 100% sure, that they can handle it without killing on another. Yorkie should also know a really solid sit-stay and 'drop' or 'off' AND he should be good on a leash before the intro will be successful.

My advice would be to go back to square one with the intro process. Yorkie needs to be confined and so do kitties. Here's a link on cat/dog intros: http://www.thecatsite.com/Behavior/5...s-to-Dogs.html

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest consulting with a lawyer about this. Most lawyers allow a free 15 minute consultation. There isn't a contract out there that is so iron clad that it can't be broken in some fashion.

The fact that she refused to let you spend time with the dog was a bad sign.

Also, it doesn't sound like the dog was socialized very well, if at all. Was this a reputable breeder or a puppy farm?

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ClaireBear

I think that ClaireBear is right, you need to give it more time. It has only been 4 days, a dog being introduced into a new family is not a whole lot different than introducing a new cat. And by that I just mean both are new.

Yorkies are normally very sweet, and they are small too. I have seen lots of cats that are bigger than Yorkies.

I would just keep trying different things while I was there. And I would keep the Yorkie crated or something when I was not at home.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things are going.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

BTW-you paid $428 to adopt a dog!!?
What kind of a rescue charges this amount to adopt a dog, anyway? That's steep!!! I'm getting my puppy in June from a BREEDER, and am paying $450 for it!!! I think it's absurd of a rescue to charge this amount, and then NOT give you some type of an out.

I would, however, separate the dog from the cats for the time being, and try some extensive obedience training, or hire some outside help for this...at that price, you may as well give the situation a fair shot. This little yorkie can probably learn manners around your kitties, but he needs some serious intervention to help make it work.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dog rescues around here charge $450 for an adoption fee, no wonder they can't find homes for them.

Though I understand why they can't refund the money. We cant refund money either.. becuase once hte money is in, it's out. We owe over 4 grand to the vets.. We make sure people know that. We can't refund money, but they can bring the cat back and choose another cat wihtout having to pay again. But we don't have th funds to refund them.

Hopefully you guys can figure something out. Good luck.

freebird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had this happen before with adopted pets. believe it or not-find the yorkie's favorite treat. give him his own toy box and toys. he also needs a wire cage his size-hence-doggy jail. every time he chases kitty he goes to jail. even cover the cage if necessary so he knows it is punishment. when released give him a treat and call him a good boy. no chase kitty. it does work-just takes time but it will be worth all the love they give you and hoepfully each other.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Using a crate for punishment isn't really a good thing.

If ever one ever needed to transport the dog in a crate, the poor thing would be wondering why it's being punished.

Now, I'm not saying it shouldn't be crate trained. Every dog should be traiend that his crate is a wonderful place to go. My dogs love their crates, sleep in them all the time on their own will. The door is NEVER shut on either of them.
it's their own excape, where they can go to get away from us whenever they want. their room.

When my dog started chasing the cats, I was recommended to put him on a leash at all times. And either keep the dog with you, or just near you, so when the dog would go after the cat, you could grab the leash and reprimand him. A firm NO should do it.
Treats around the cats when he'e behaving will teach him that he'll get yummies when he doesn't chase them.

I would never recommend anyone to ever use a crate as a punishment.