Few more questions about Caboose

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Everyone has been so helpful....I think Caboose is taking this better than I am.

I watched him again today, finding his way to the kitchen...his food and water...and litter box....and then back to the living room. I did move a few obstacles from the coffee table since he uses it to get back on the couch next to me.

However....what do you all think about the other cats. I noticed this morning that when Caboose slowly creeps into the living room b/c he can't see, that two of my cats thought he was stalking...and bounced on him...just for fun...but Caboose didn't think it was fun. Do you think the other cats will catch on?

But...most important question...Caboose loved to sleep with me in the bed...my bed is a little high....I know he can get down from it if he wants to...and find his way around....but what if he wants to get back on?

Do you think it is too soon to try this...or should I do it right away before he forgets the bed and the bedroom.

I miss cuddling with him.

Thanks again for all the help.

Toomany and Caboose

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,
It might help if you post in your original thread so we know exactly what is going on.
I'm not sure of the story of Caboose. Is he blind or something?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen some of those little stair steps that you can use for pets to get on the bed, etc. Look in Foster/Smith catalog and see if they have them.

Its like 3-4 little steps. You might get one of them and teach Caboose how to go up and down by letting him feel his way (with your help). Once he has the hang of the steps he should be ok - just do NOT move them from where you teach him where they are.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or you could even use an article of furniture (we used a hope chest) that is an intermediate size. When Smudge first went blind I lifted him on and off the bed, but after just a couple of days (and he was REALLY sick) he figured out how to do it himself. My hubby said, "hey, did you take Smudge off the bed? He's downstairs in the kitchen!" And he did it all by himself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Kluchetta....sorry...I still don't know quite how to use this site....

Can you tell me more about Smudge? Please? Did you have him for years before he went blind?

Thanks.

Toomany and Cabooe

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by toomany

Hi Kluchetta....sorry...I still don't know quite how to use this site....

Can you tell me more about Smudge? Please? Did you have him for years before he went blind?

Thanks.

Toomany and Cabooe
Oh...Smudge was born in April 2005 at our house and died in October 2005. He was only blind for about 3 weeks. But I did a lot of research at the time, not knowing he wasn't going to make it.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that the stairs are a good idea. Caboose might quikcly figure out how to get up on the bed without them....Damita did!

As for the other cats thinking Caboose is stalking, that is something that you might have to work on individually. If you can catch the others trying to pounce on Caboose & distract them by throwing a toy, waving, clapping, etc. If you can divert their attention, it might help. That's the only thing I can think of for that.

ETA: Collars with bells will allow Caboose to hear other kitties, so he may be a little more brave going into rooms. That might also help with the other kitties pouncing on him.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I've seen some of those little stair steps that you can use for pets to get on the bed, etc. Look in Foster/Smith catalog and see if they have them.

Its like 3-4 little steps. You might get one of them and teach Caboose how to go up and down by letting him feel his way (with your help). Once he has the hang of the steps he should be ok - just do NOT move them from where you teach him where they are.
Yes, that is a great idea.

When our beloved Sambo went blind, (Sambo was a dog), I just put him a bed besides my side of our bed, and he got used to that.