Ming Loy

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Because of Tuxie's autoimmune problem, Ming Loy had to spend her first few months in the hospital.
She was thrown away, and we rescued her (and her sister) from euthanization just hours before the pound was going to put them down. They were named "Neuro" and "Logic" by the vet staff because they were both born with a neurological disorder. Their mom must have been ill while pregnant, because both of their brains were scarred. The result is a condition where their back legs don't work so well, they walk with their front legs rather stiff, and they shake when they get excited. Her older sister (Logic) doesn't have the conditions as bad as Ming Loy (formerly Neuro). But the result is so cute and comical - and it doesn't bother her in the least (although I'm sure she would prefer it if she could jump). We describe her as looking like a drunk with parkinson's disease - and that really fits the bill.

Baby Ming Loy:

(Her head was so big, no wonder she fell over all the time!
)

Such a sweetie - because of her handicap, she flops over and spends a lot of time on her back. So naturally she liked to sleep on her back:

But it was so darn hard to get pics when she wasn't moving!

Grabbing the strap of the camera!

And typical Ming Loy - all grown up. She can now stretch while standing and not fall over every time - but she usually stretches lying down:

She's daddy's baby girl!

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She just has the greatest personality! She "marches" around (with her stiff front legs), constantly wanting to play. The other kitties got used to her very quickly - she often needs to lean on something to stay standing up, and often they're it.
Spooky took the longest to adjust (she always does), but the boys were SUCH great big brothers to her immediately! She and Flowerbelle chase around here like maniacs. I wouldn't say Flowerbelle loves her - but she definitely enjoys playing chase with her - especially because she can always escape up a cat tree and poor Ming Loy can't follow all the way up.

She couldn't control her muscles well when we first brought her home. She could kind of "leap" around really, really fast - but not control where she was going. So we covered the ENTIRE house with bubble wrap (God forbid she went straight into the corner of a cabinet or something!), and we surrounded the cat trees with pillows - because she learned to climb pretty quickly. And we put loads of foam rubber at the bottom of the stairs, because within a week she was climbing over the baby gate.

Now she won't climb higher than she can get down by herself - but she used to climb all the way up to the top, and we were terrified she'd try to get down before we found her. If that ever happened - the pillows worked.

Laurie

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your cats are all so amazing and here is another - Ming Loy!!
Wow what a cutie pie and she looks so healthy and happy and full of energy. She certainly seems content with her little meow world And I like the name Ming Loy better than Neuro

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Animals are just amazing... they lack self-pity completely! I love Ming Loy's story
She's such a love. And I think you are amazing people for taking these special kitties in and making sure they get all the care and love they need

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BabyWukong

Animals are just amazing... they lack self-pity completely! I love Ming Loy's story
She's such a love. And I think you are amazing people for taking these special kitties in and making sure they get all the care and love they need
What a great observation! They don't have self-pity do they! They are such amazing creatures.

Laurie