Samantha may need to go...

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am in tears over this, but there is no other option. Im not sure if some of you may remember me asking if cat poo smelled like vomit? (lol) I suspected Samantha was pooing outside the box, but wasnt sure. Well the day after I found her little surprise and cleaned it up, I started to smell the same rancid smell, and couldnt figure out what it was because I just cleaned her 'throw up' Well she pooed on my butterfly rug, and this time it was definately poo.

I cleaned it up as best I could (throwing up halfway done with my task) and doused the floor with vinegar and water, then with bleach, and then with scented floor cleaner. Well a few days later she pooed again in the kitchen, and just yesterday she pooed on my mouse pad (it was on the floor) which was about 3 feet from her box!

I cant deal with this, I honestly cant. Ive tried everything, ive read so much on litter box avoidance that my eyes hurt, but she isnt getting better. My husband is not an animal lover (he tolerates Ceci because shes so welled behaved) if he finds out shes pooing in the house hes going to throw her out!

I dont even know how to contact her foster mother, but im going to have to do it. I know Ana (foster mom) is going to kick herself for not evaluating this kitty better but I cant do anything. Im physically and emotionally drained, I just cant deal with this. I know I have failed TCS, but I need to have as little stress as possible, and I at least know she will never end up on the streets or in a shelter :-/

**I wrote this last week, I didnt even know if I should post it, but last night everything just got to be much. I come home, tired as a dog and a few hours later im getting ready to get DS into bed. Well I go into his room to fix the covers, and Samantha had pooed all over hi bed!! This was the last straw for me, I mean I could handle cleaning up her poo on the floor (a bit of bleach and vinegar) but this is unacceptable. My God, I feel so horrible, but I cannot handle a cat pooping on my sons bed. What if he had jumped into bed before I checked the covers? He loves to jump into his car bed and hang out, but luckily he wasnt in a mood yesterday.

What to do, what to do?? Ana says we can take her back to the shelter, but I cant do this. She says its a possibility to get her shipped to the USA, but its pretty slim. I dont know, I couldnt live with taking her back to the shelter.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry your going through this

Have you been to a vet? They may be the best person you can go to about this - She may have an intestinal problem which is why she isn't able to make it to the litter box

I hope you are able to find a solution to this problem that doesn't involve Samantha going to the shelter

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately taking the cat back to the shelter will just end up with her being euthanized, or someone else having to deal with her problem.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please take her to a doctor, something is wrong and maybe he'll know how to fix it.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heavens yes, there's got to be a reason why this is happening, and she needs to see a vet right away! Don't even think of giving her up until you've gotten a diagnosis. It could be something very simple and easy to cure!

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another vote for a visit to the vet. When a cat behaves like this she may be trying to tell you that she is sick. Please try to find out if she has a medical problem before sending her back to the shelter. Good luck to you and Samantha.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Heavens yes, there's got to be a reason why this is happening, and she needs to see a vet right away! Don't even think of giving her up until you've gotten a diagnosis. It could be something very simple and easy to cure!
Originally Posted by Jean44

Another vote for a visit to the vet. When a cat behaves like this she may be trying to tell you that she is sick. Please try to find out if she has a medical problem before sending her back to the shelter. Good luck to you and Samantha.
I agree with both of those, and I am saying to go to the vet, there can be something wrong, so before u make any decisions I would take her to the vet, I hope everything turns out ok!! Keep us updated

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd take the cat to a vet and look at what solutions they suggest. I have nothing to suggest beyond this but the thought of a cat going to a shelter naturally upsets me

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe she is having problems with the food she is eating? What brand, etc. It could be any number of things and you should really take her to see a vet. I can't imagine just sending her to the shelter if she has something that can be cured easily.

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
but there is no other option.
Sure there is, take her to the vet. Something is obviously going on with this poor cat and the least you can is find out what it is before making the hasty decision to send her back.

~Shauna

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im not taking her to the shelter. This is what Ana said we could do, but I said no, because I know what goes on at the shelters and she will be PTS. Ive taken her to the vet, she doesnt have parasites, shes healthy.

When she pooed in my sons bed she had a bit of diareah, but she does get into everything and she ripped through the bread plastic, and ate some pieces of bread and ate half a raw hot dog, so I know when she had the accident on the bed she was feeling bad.

Ana visited us yesterday and told me to keep her in one room, with her box. We also got some pills for her, im not sure of the name but Ana said this should get her on track.

I am NOT putting her back into a shelter. If things dont work out we have the possibility that she will get sent to an adoptive program in the USA.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have tried different brands of litter? Maybe she doesn't like the type she has now?

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't tell from your posts whether this is a cat you just got, or one you've had for a long time. If you just got the cat, it may be very upset and not yet used to its new home, which would account for the behavior... my cat also went to the bathroom in various places for the first month I had him.

If you've had the cat for a long time and the bathroom behavior was normal before, then it is either a medical reason or some environment/emotional change that is making the cat act like this. If the cat is having digestive problems, that is most likely the cause... if she was in pain, she was trying to eliminate the pain by avoiding the place where she experienced it (the litterbox).

It's important to clean the places where she went to the bathroom with an enzyme cleaner, because otherwise there may be trace smells that a cat can detect and a human can't... and then a spot she used once because she was sick could become a habitual spot. I don't know whether vinegar is the right cleaner to use.

It also sounds from your posts like this might be a kitten. If so, sometimes litterbox training isn't complete yet. If she's a kitten, make sure to use a small litterbox with low sides so she can get in easily... and you might also use torn newspaper instead of litter if she is very young.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
why on earth have you not gotten this cat to the vet yet? When my Henry started pooping outside of the litter box (I never even thought of getting rid of him by the way), I took the poop immediately to the vet and he had roundworms. 5 days worth of meds and he is fine, not a drop of poop out of the box since. Your cat is obviously trying to tell you that something is wrong, and you are ignoring her. Taking her to a shelter, whether in the US or wherever you are, is only making her someone elses problem. Step up and be an adult and get your cat the care she needs.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
fosterkitty - you may have read through the posts too quickly. The cat has been to the vet and has no parasites and got a clean bill of health.

Laurie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
JulieKit - how long has this problem been going on? And I know you said you've read so much on litterbox avoidance that your eyes hurt - but apart from taking kitty to the vet, and now confining her to one room, what other steps were tried? It'd be a lot easier to help if we had some more information.

I know how frustrating this can be. Our kitty didn't have a pooping problem, she had a peeing problem. It took a lot of work, and in the end we had to use antidepressants for a couple of months. But we worked with her through her period of stress (and worked REALLY hard to not let her know we were upset or frustrated, because that just compounds the problem) - and we came out the other side.

Laurie