Thoughts on the book Life of Pi...?

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to start up a thread for people who have read this book, because I just got done reading it and still don't know what I think about it.

Anyone out there wanna join in?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226

I'm trying to start up a thread for people who have read this book, because I just got done reading it and still don't know what I think about it.

Anyone out there wanna join in?
For Christmas; DW, Persi and I drove to Mexico and bought some books on disc to listen to on the way down and back. One of them was Life of Pi. Unabridged, it gave us 11 1/2 hours of enjoyment. I am looking at the discs right now; one of the statements is: "It is a triumph of storytelling and a tale that will, as one character puts it, make you believe in God." Here is a quick synopsis that may jog some of your memories because I do not always remember the name of every book I have read:

After the tragic sinking of a cargo ship in the Pacific, one solitary lifeboat remains, carrying a hyena, a zebra, a female orangutan, a Bengal tiger, and a 16-year-old Indian boy named Pi.

Of the books we took to listen to (4), this was by far our favorite. Definately a book for animal lovers of all ages.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you read the back of the book, it's misleading as to what really happens (just slightly though).

I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around the ending, about the idea of the two stories... part of me thinks that the second story might be true but I got so used to the first story while I was reading it that I can't stop thinking about it!

Oh and the part on the island disturbed me... it was not a good idea to read that before bed!

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The people I have talked to about this really think the animals represented people. Sort of makes sense cause I just couldn't imagine how he could be separated safely from the tiger that whole time. My neighbor couldn't get the book out of her mind either. With me it was so long ago, its hard to remember very much except for that ending. I think the book was overrated.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know people who love that book. I've tried and failed to read it twice now.
It's on my list of books I must read one day though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snuzy

The people I have talked to about this really think the animals represented people. Sort of makes sense cause I just couldn't imagine how he could be separated safely from the tiger that whole time.
Well, and it would make sense... that he had to make up a story to help him keep on living through the horror of what he witnessed/did.

chromodactyl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i read it 2yrs ago and thought it was lovely and sad-wellu know why-ju incase somone here is in middle of it.I agree that its hard to tell if its rel or not-well i mean i know the answer but you know what i mean