i need a new food

kit-t-kat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok i wrote last week about my mama cat having dandruff she is 1 1/2 years old. her son max who is 9 monts old is getting it too also i has to be their diet they get nutro natural it isnt really too expensive but expensive enough for me and if it is thier food what else is good nutro is about 15 to 25 dollars a bag and i have 3 cats.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have specific advice to give about the food, but I can tell you that it just depends on what your cats do well on. You can buy the "best" most expensive food and maybe find that it isn't the right one for your cat.

I'm sure some great, more specific advice will follow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kit-t-kat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i just read mineral oil in her food is good not to sure about that

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kit-t-kat

i just read mineral oil in her food is good not to sure about that
No mineral oil is not good on food... try olive or better yet fish oil... a bit of fish oil and natural choice works at my house ....

Are you on natural choice kitten?? natural choice indoor ?? or Max kitten???

The only food I know with excellent ingrediants with higher linoleic acid omega 6 is California natural ( price varies )... some of the Royal canins are higher but the ingrediants are more complex and often have corn wheat and soy in one formula

Are they on all dry??? if so I suspect a food allergy and the likely culprit is chicken

puppycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well not that I have done my fair share of research on cat food (guess i haven't need to cause my cat is doing great on her food) I feed Iams original. Its not a natural food or a gourmet sort but it works great for her and it works great for my friends cats. Anyway, just thought I would throw that out there. But one word of caution with Iams, its make them a little chunky so watch their intake so they don't get to be fatties like my kitty

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by puppycat

Thanks Sadie's Mom, I didn't know Natural Balance made a cat food. Thats what I feed my dog.
they make a great allergy cat food ... and a reg and light that are good

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is her fur dry too? Or is it just her skin? Is she scratching a lot, like she's itchy, or does she just have dandruff?

If she's scratching..it's probably an allergy. If she's not scratching, and her fur is dry too, she might just need more vitamins and minerals, or fat even, in her diet. Royal Canin makes a skincare formula.. it used to be Skin and Hair or some such, but I think it's Skincare 30 or something now. I think they're about the same price as what you're paying now. Salmon Oil contains the omega-3's and may contain omega-6 but I'm not sure. You might also try just adding a supplement to her existing diet.. I know there are some others out there, but we use WildTrax, and it can be found at www.jefferspet.com ..

If you think it might be an allergy.. it might be the grains or additives in your dry. (It may also be the chicken as someone else suggested). One way to rule that out is to look for a raw based dry, or try feeding wet that has no grains added...from what I understand it's usually the "grains" that is the culprit, and somewhat more specifically, corn.

In either case, it's probably easiest to try a supplement of some sort if it's not definitely allergies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kit-t-kat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you all for the advice i did use iams when she was a baby but then i realized it was meat-by-products i swited to nutro all 3 kinds her coat is shft and shinny it is her shin and when i brush her it looks like she got snowed on i am going to try the fish oil thank you i was stressed

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I've heard about Evo that you might want to watch is it doesn't have a lot of moisture.. but mine eat it, and drink lots of water because they have a kitty water fountain (two actually, they're spoiled) and love the water because it's fresh.