Do Your Cats "Meercat?"

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, Penelope hasn't done it in ages, but this morning, my little darling is meercatting yet again!
She'll stand on her hind legs, looking around, listening. Just like the meercats. She did this constantly as a kitten, but I haven't seen her do it in months. Maverick has never done it.

Any idea why cats sometimes stand in this sentry position? Are they just trying to listen better at the surroundings?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine did it all the time growing up, but now that he's two, he hardly ever seems to do it.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nellers

So, Penelope hasn't done it in ages, but this morning, my little darling is meercatting yet again!
She'll stand on her hind legs, looking around, listening. Just like the meercats. She did this constantly as a kitten, but I haven't seen her do it in months. Maverick has never done it.

Any idea why cats sometimes stand in this sentry position? Are they just trying to listen better at the surroundings?
Here is the modified meerkat position that Persi adapted for his own needs.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two, but especially Chay will do something like it, especially when he wants to jump up somewhere! I've never known cats who check things out before they jump, but my two do!

Chay also has something I call his "squirrel" pose where he sort of stands with his two back feet all the way down instead of on his toes to check something out. Too cute!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We call it prairie dogging, but yeah, they do that, and vulturing too.
Vulturing is when they sit someplace higher than whatever they are focused on and then hang their heads low and stare.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I call it gophering
and Antigone does it on occasion, mostly to check out what Calypso (my rat) is doing

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
mine do it in the kitchen when i'm preparing their wet food...it's hilarious...3 cats on their hind legs... Isis doesn't do that.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She does it occasionally...and it usually lasts for quite a while!

btw - Meerkats is her favorite show right now! She's transfixed when it's on.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent demonstration Portia
My cats normally do it at the windows too.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Little Ben does this a lot. I even tried to take pictures today. Unfortunately he couldn't hold the pose.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My girls don't do it that often, unless something exciting (or scary!) is happening just out of their view, they'll sit up to try to see better. Only Willow does it, though.

Willow only did it in this pic (the only shot I have of it, lol) to be able to sniff the bush better.

4badcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh those pics are gorgeous - doesn't Portia look beautiful sitting up like that?!?!

Ben does this when I am preparing their food - but not for very long as his belly drags him down!!!!