Least likely to be adopted?

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi again

I have read on a few websites that black cats are the least likely to be adopted from shelters, followed by tabbies and tuxedoes. Do you all find this to be true?
(hope this was the right place to post this question!)

Thanks!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, black cats ARE unlucky--because nobody adopts them. I'd call that "unlucky", wouldn't you?

But I understand the tabby and tux problem--those are the two most common cat colors, and people will adopt distinctive cats first. I don't think it's really conscscious--it's just that peoples' attention is drawn to the cats which are different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's kind of what I thought, too - they are the most common. It's killing me having to wait to adopt now that I have made up my mind lol. So I keep asking these questions to help me decide. Thank you!
Oh, Callista - your name reminds me of the name I have chosen for the cat "Calliope".

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmm my stepdad adopted a tux cat, my girlfriend a mean black kitty we call Jazzy the meanie. and heck those are the only adopted kitties I know of..I would say untrue. but heck im always wrong

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The shelter that I volunteered at told me the same thing, but did say that the people that adopted black cats more so than others were teen aged girls. We don't know why.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we adopt a new cat, color won't matter. It all depends on how they interact with us, and other cats. I think its sad that no one wants black kitties- they are gorgeous

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

When we adopt a new cat, color won't matter. It all depends on how they interact with us, and other cats. I think its sad that no one wants black kitties- they are gorgeous
they remind me of sassy sleek mysterious furry people

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey! I have a Tuxie and a Tabby! What does that make me?!

People tend to gravitate towards blues and calicos, I've noticed. But our blacks, tuxies and tabbies still are constantly finding homes. I don't think the majority of people make a decision based on color, but like I said...blues and calicos tend to catch peoples' eyes first.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that too. Although ever since we had a black cat adopt us the Thanksgiving I was in 4th grade, my family has always had a black cat. The one color of cat I had never had until quite recently is calico.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EricaNicole

they remind me of sassy sleek mysterious furry people
Then I think in my next life, I shall come back as a black cat!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The hardest to adopt colors here are :
1) Black
2) Black/Brown Tabby(the other colors of tabby go quickly)
3) Black/White Tuxedo

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always thought it would be fun to have a black cat and a white cat and name them Ebony and Ivory.

Instead I have a DHL grey and white tuxedo female named Dusty! She is the sweetest kitty I've ever had! She adopted us.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard it is blacks followed by black and whites - some of our black and whites have taken absolutely ages to adopt, some haven't, I do think it depends. I have my favourite colours, blacks being one of them, but i just tend to adopt whatever needs a home at the time, so I have ended up with colours I wouldn't have chosen, like my black and white!! but, at the moment, I have a black and a tabby, two of my favs!!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think that here it is the opposite, as in the UK black cats are considered LUCKY! I don't know how in the US that superstition got turned around to the exact opposite.
I feel sad for all the black cats that get overlooked for this reason

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, we have more black cats, than we do any other color. Orange is coming up on a close second though.

I think people think they are plain looking.. but they should be looking for personality, not color.

it's the same with dogs though i believe. Big black dogs are the last ones to be adopted.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

I have heard it is blacks followed by black and whites - some of our black and whites have taken absolutely ages to adopt, some haven't, I do think it depends. I have my favourite colours, blacks being one of them, but i just tend to adopt whatever needs a home at the time, so I have ended up with colours I wouldn't have chosen, like my black and white!! but, at the moment, I have a black and a tabby, two of my favs!!
We just adopted out a black female cat named Shelley, that we have had for about 5 years now. She is an awesome cat, i always suggested her to anyone who i thought might like her, but everyone turned her down because of her color, or her age. (7)
She had two litters of kittens, one when she came in, and she was also pregnant at the time. All those kittens from both litters were adopted years ago.
The people who actually adopted one of her daughters took her home a few days ago..

We don't have many black and whites... and our black and white kittens are alwasy looked at and adopted usually first. Nver have seen any issues with any other color than black, really. Maybe I just don't notice it.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Orange!?!?
That is our one "most popular" color!

Admittedly, we have a hard time adopting out any cat over 4 months of age. The 1 year + is impossible to adopt out. People here only want kittens. We have almost no adoptions when kitten season is gone.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hummm here

a calico van pattern ( no choice she was the only girl in the litter)

now a red and white tabby smoke... was a white with orange patch kitty

mandm1213

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i had a black cat that i took in. the shelters didn't want her, because it was too close to halloween and they were afraid what someone might do to them. i would adopt another black cat in a second, after i get over the lose of mine. When i went to shelters to find a cat the first cat that came to my attention was a tux.. he was adorable, but the shots were not done yet and so forth. Might go back for him, if he's still there and my partner will let me. =) I don't understand what's not to love about black kitties and tux kitties.. i love them all. i do understand that people would be drawn to the other colors more though.. but my black cat became my best friend quite quickly.. and adapted very well to being brought in.