Is it just me or do you think this is rude?

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My best friend is driving down from AZ this week for spring break and is bringing her bf, mom, her sister and her two kids. Her parents have been divorced for many years now and obviously still have unresolved issues. Her old house where she grew up is here in TX two streets down from me.
So my best friend called me this past weekend to ask if her mom could stay with us. Mind you, we have no contact with her whatsoever. The father gave the old house to his son because he has to work to support this soon to be two kids and not much education...I'm digressing...(just another thing I disapprove of)
Anyway for whatever reason, which is probably more than one, they said no. They are off, have things to do and would like to go somewhere. The last time they came down, my mom let her, but ended up picking up after her and just came and went as she pleased.
My mom told my best friend that we really did not have the room(which is true) and that my dad said no. She completely understood, had no hard feelings and didn't blame us. So on monday, the son calls, knowing we work during the week, and leaves a message asking if his mom can stay and that she doesn't have to sleep on the floor, that she will bring her own stuff, and that she can sleep on the floor. I mean he had some nerve! I know my best friend had nothing to do with this and that it is the mother. I think it's tacky to get your kids stuck in the middle to begin with and she knew this was coming, so you should have planned better. The big issue here is that the mom and dad don't get along well, he does not want her staying at the old house even though he gave it to the son and he is living somewhere else now anyway.
You know you shouldn't incovenience and make other uncomfortable just because you are not comfortable resolving your own issues! My mom was soooo pissed when she heard the message and frankly so am I. What I once was looking forward to, I no longer am. I have no interest in seeing anyone in her family at this point, nor do I want to have to explain the reason why they do not want her to stay, which I won't, and the fact they can't respect my parent's wishes and basically where she is trying to invite herself when she is not invited to begin with!
I mean is it me or is that just plain rude and careless???? I am basically going to tell my best friend, look you know where I leave, your family has irritated me to the point where I do not wish to see them,( I know it's NOT her fault, she would NEVER do that), and she knows where to find me.
I have a feeling her mom might also try to show up, but I'm not letting her in. What do you guys think?? I don't know if I should tell my friend, etc. I don't want to make her feel bad, but I don't want to see the others at all, or talk to them.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it was rude. You should not have to explain yourself. The mom should just rent a hotel room nearby if the family is not willing to deal with the conflict.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is rude too, people should never ask to stay at someones house, they should be invited.

I hope all goes well for you and your family.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is deffinately rude. She needs to make other accommodations, end of story/end of conversation. I deffinatley understand why you are upset and I would be the same if not worse!

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it's definitely rude to invite yourself to someone's home, especially since they were told once before that it wasn't going to work. Talk about imposing on someone!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

The big issue here is that the mom and dad don't get along well, he does not want her staying at the old house even though he gave it to the son and he is living somewhere else now anyway.
To me there is no issue. The father gave the house to the son and it's now the son's house and he can have whomever he wants stay there.

I think it's pretty tacky of the Son to shove his mother off on someone else when he has a perfectly fine house that she could stay at.

That kid needs to stand up to his father and tell him that whatever is between him and his ex wife is between him and his ex wife and doesn't involve the kids at all... and because of that the mother will be staying with him (the son)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree and thought the same thing. But the father likes to be in control of things so it could be he is still being an
. Anyway, I don't know if I should tell my friend what has happened. I'm sure she doesn't even know about it, but it will become obvious when I want nothing to do with them. I don't want to lower myself to their level, but I also don't see why I should make myself uncomfortable by being around them the least amount as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

To me there is no issue. The father gave the house to the son and it's now the son's house and he can have whomever he wants stay there.

I think it's pretty tacky of the Son to shove his mother off on someone else when he has a perfectly fine house that she could stay at.

That kid needs to stand up to his father and tell him that whatever is between him and his ex wife is between him and his ex wife and doesn't involve the kids at all... and because of that the mother will be staying with him (the son)
It is an issue, because THEY (mom and dad) are making it one. And yes, I think it is very tacky to put the children in the middle. But it makes me wonder what part of "NO" does she not understand? I also don't appreciate the fact that she is trying to put us in the middle of a situation that has nothing to do with us and turning us off even more in the process.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she's being rude. If you told her once that there wasn't room, then she should have taken the hint and found somewhere else. You don't invite yourself over to someone elses house like that.