Odd Breathing.. and snoring!

aiko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My new kitten that we got in January is about 5 months old now.. she is a spayed indoor kitty. When we had her into the vet the first time I mentioned she was dry sneezing, the vet said it could be a respiratory problem that she was born with? anyway.. she stopped the sneezing, but now she from time to time, seems liek she has a breathing problem.. if she's laying down and cleaning herself, she makes these grunting noises and sometimes just when she's laying a certain way she sounds like she's having trouble breathing, like a slight wheezing noise.. when she sleeps, she makes the same noises,which we think is snoring.. the vet mentioned she was slightly overweight too.. we have been trying to cut back her food intake but she constantly sneaks and eats out of my other cat's Adult food bowl.. if we put it away, she finds it, and if we put her food away, she'll find it and rip the bag open! i feel like i'm starving her or something. anyway have any of you experienced this?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure that I would worry too much about the grunting noise when she grooms - I've heard cats make a lot of weird grunty noises when they do that.

The wheezing could be the sign of a number of things. As your vet suggested, could be a condition she was born with, or could have had an early URI that damaged her respiratory passages. Most cats don't develop allergies that young but some cats do wheeze from allergies. Or she could just have a low grade URI or herpes. Have you tried things like vaporizers or putting her in the bathroom with you when you shower to steam her? Many people put their cats on L-Lysine to boost their immunity.

It doesn't sound like an immediate vet trip but if starts to really concern you, make the appointment and try to find out what the underlying cause is.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Wellington, who had a very bad start in life as a street cat, started wheezing at around 6 months old, and it developed into asthma, which I control with prednisone. Fortunately he does not have it too severely. But if it continues (Welington snores too and sometimes has coughing fits) then ask hte vet to do an xray on the bronchial tubes - it is the only way to tell.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Ferris is a noisy breather who snores in his sleep. He has no known allergies, nor asthma, and is not overweight. He's still a kitten, in fact, at about 10 months old, and is very healthy except for some runny stool issues which are now under control with probiotics.

Because Ferris always wanted Ginger's food, I switched her to kitten dry for a while so that the kitten was getting the nutrition he needed.

Sounds to me like you have a female much like my male - a little noisy, a little piggish, but in good health otherwise.

Stay in contact with your vet, and if you notice the kitty appearing to have difficulty breathing when making the wheezing noises, then please bring her in to be seen ASAP.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sophie makes those snorting noises when she's grooming her tummy.

She also makes snoring/wheezing noises when she's sitting up now and again, so i mentioned it to the vet who checked her over and she said the noises she was making was because she's relaxed, and when she's like that theres a soft part at the back of their mouth or nose that causes it. She was right as well because if i call her name and she looks over at me it stops!

Like Gingersmom said, keep a close eye on her and if anything changes take her straight to see the vet.

gracy50

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Meow snores too, but usually only when he's scrunched up in his basket.

The vet said he's OK, so I don't worry about it, and its actually kind of funny to hear it. I'll wake him up and he give me this look like "What did you go and to that for?"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aiko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Sophie makes those snorting noises when she's grooming her tummy.

She also makes snoring/wheezing noises when she's sitting up now and again, so i mentioned it to the vet who checked her over and she said the noises she was making was because she's relaxed, and when she's like that theres a soft part at the back of their mouth or nose that causes it. She was right as well because if i call her name and she looks over at me it stops!

Like Gingersmom said, keep a close eye on her and if anything changes take her straight to see the vet.
I would say you're exactly right!!! worked for me too! i'll nto worry about it for now.. between her & my fiancee they're in good harmony