venting

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
this is more of me venting than anything, but it makes me angry and I need to talk to someone about it. My friend has a lot of cats, which would not be a problem if she could care for them properly. Before she had an indoor/outdoor cat that was used to hunt mice, this cat was killed by a coyote and they wanted to get another cat to replace him, but she said she would not get attached because this one would probably die too. that made me mad, but luckily they did not get another. Anyway they had 3 intact cats, 1 male and two female. One of them got pregnant (a mixed breed) and delivered one kitten which was killed soon after by one of their dogs (I don't know why he was allowed in with the kitten). Soon after they let her breed again (i said let but since they don't ever separate them I guess it would just be they did not stop them from breeding) and she had I think like four kittens, they kept one and gave the others away. then she had another litter (I met these kittens and the cat from the previous litter was large but I believe was not much more than a year old) with six kittens I think. I don't remember if they kept one or gave them all away. the room they were kept in was far from clean. They then got her fixed I believe, well at least i know she has had no more babies. they then purchased a Bengal kitten male from a breeder (good or bad i don't know). they planned to breed him to their other intact Bengal female. He is under a year. just a few weeks ago the female gave birth, but my friend did not know if they were the Bengals or the other mixed males kittens since she got pregnant before they got the other boy fixed. Anyway the only baby was a still birth. Well what bugged me even more was that last week she told me she thinks the cat is pregnant again! it has been no more than three weeks since she had the still birth and she is already pregnant! I said "already" and she kinda giggled and said yeah I know but we want kitties so bad
. i can tell you that these cats that are pregnant never once go to the vets while they are pregnant or after they give birth and the kittens never see the vets before they go to new homes. I'm very tempted to suggest that she terminate the pregnancy but I know she'll think I'm crazy since like she said she really wants kitties. She said well at least we know who the father is now.i did not tell her that a male can still get the female pregnant up to a month after being fixed. I really wish i could just get all of the cats out of the situation. She also had a dog but they treat her better, their other dog died because the hip dysplasia was crippling him (he was very obese too) but they want to get a Australian Shepherd now too. I wish I could say something to stop her from breeding but I know nothing I say will matter since she thinks she knows so much more than me about cats, and another thing that bugs me is that all our friends think she is a cat expert because she has more cats than me! Well i've told some of my friends that i don't like how she cares for her cats but I can't tell most of them because they will tell her what i said and she'll be a jerk to me. *sigh* at least my best friend agrees that she is evil for breeding her cats like that. What would you do? (end rant/vent)

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know people like that also. But theres not much you can do about it. Sucks.. As long as they are not physically abusing their animals you can't turn them in or anything.
Is there a limit on having a certain ammount of animals/cats? Its three here, without permits, and other situations.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keisha

I know people like that also. But theres not much you can do about it. Sucks.. As long as they are not physically abusing their animals you can't turn them in or anything.
Is there a limit on having a certain ammount of animals/cats? Its three here, without permits, and other situations.
Three cats only? Is that at a rental house or something or do you mean your whole city? That sucks, how the heck would they go about inforcing that?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Maxy24

this is more of me venting than anything, but it makes me angry and I need to talk to someone about it. My friend has a lot of cats, which would not be a problem if she could care for them properly. Before she had an indoor/outdoor cat that was used to hunt mice, this cat was killed by a coyote and they wanted to get another cat to replace him, but she said she would not get attached because this one would probably die too. that made me mad, but luckily they did not get another. Anyway they had 3 intact cats, 1 male and two female. One of them got pregnant (a mixed breed) and delivered one kitten which was killed soon after by one of their dogs (I don't know why he was allowed in with the kitten). Soon after they let her breed again (i said let but since they don't ever separate them I guess it would just be they did not stop them from breeding) and she had I think like four kittens, they kept one and gave the others away. then she had another litter (I met these kittens and the cat from the previous litter was large but I believe was not much more than a year old) with six kittens I think. I don't remember if they kept one or gave them all away. the room they were kept in was far from clean. They then got her fixed I believe, well at least i know she has had no more babies. they then purchased a Bengal kitten male from a breeder (good or bad i don't know). they planned to breed him to their other intact Bengal female. He is under a year. just a few weeks ago the female gave birth, but my friend did not know if they were the Bengals or the other mixed males kittens since she got pregnant before they got the other boy fixed. Anyway the only baby was a still birth. Well what bugged me even more was that last week she told me she thinks the cat is pregnant again! it has been no more than three weeks since she had the still birth and she is already pregnant! I said "already" and she kinda giggled and said yeah I know but we want kitties so bad
. i can tell you that these cats that are pregnant never once go to the vets while they are pregnant or after they give birth and the kittens never see the vets before they go to new homes. I'm very tempted to suggest that she terminate the pregnancy but I know she'll think I'm crazy since like she said she really wants kitties. She said well at least we know who the father is now.i did not tell her that a male can still get the female pregnant up to a month after being fixed. I really wish i could just get all of the cats out of the situation. She also had a dog but they treat her better, their other dog died because the hip dysplasia was crippling him (he was very obese too) but they want to get a Australian Shepherd now too. I wish I could say something to stop her from breeding but I know nothing I say will matter since she thinks she knows so much more than me about cats, and another thing that bugs me is that all our friends think she is a cat expert because she has more cats than me! Well i've told some of my friends that i don't like how she cares for her cats but I can't tell most of them because they will tell her what i said and she'll be a jerk to me. *sigh* at least my best friend agrees that she is evil for breeding her cats like that. What would you do? (end rant/vent)
How about printing out some facts about what she is allowing to happen in her house? Tell her about all the people you "know" on TCS who work so hard rescuing and rehoming unwanted cats and kittens who don't have homes. Tell her that many shelters and pounds will euthanize pregnant females and see if she could foster one. I doubt they would let her if they do home checks, but that might make her realize something if a shelter turns her away for wanting to foster...

Also, do you know if she purchased the Bengal cat as a breeder? Do you happen to know the cattery she bought him from? I am doubting it is a reputable one, but if so, then maybe you can contact the breeder and tell them what they are doing with the kitten they bought...

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ooo I have an idea!! Tell her about this cool forum and try to get her to join if she has any questions or wants to show of pictures. Then when multiple different people tell her to rethink what she is doing, maybe she will.

if she does, you might want to delete or edit this thread though in case she stumbles across it

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We know a couple right now that is a similar situation. They see how healthy your cats/dogs are and we've told them time and again on the benefits of neutering/spaying - but it just goes in one ear and out the other. They too, have not very good living conditions.

They had 4 cats - 2 M, 2 F - none of them spayed/neutered. For some reason the female never got pregnant (miricle) but they just recently lost the oldest male to probably cystitus or UTI or something - I'm sure since it was a male, he was blocked and he died at the vet's office. Since they don't even clean the litter pan, food all over the place, the cats are part time outside, they would not have known the poor boy was suffering cause he couldn't go.

Nothing we do or say matters. We know they will pick up another "replacement" cat really soon.

I also had a co-worker long time ago have lots of cats - he never neutered/spayed but was very cruel in keeping all the males on one side of the door; females on the other. Thought nothing of doing this. The males and females were fighting all the time trying to get to the "other" side. I don't know what ever happened to the cats or the guy cause I changed jobs. But again, another person that you could not get thru to!

malakaiii

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Also, do you know if she purchased the Bengal cat as a breeder? Do you happen to know the cattery she bought him from? I am doubting it is a reputable one, but if so, then maybe you can contact the breeder and tell them what they are doing with the kitten they bought...
On that note, I thought that most reputable breeders will not sell intact cats unless they know very well where the cat is going to? But I may be wrong... I agree that it is a good idea to contact the cattery (if they are a good one), and let them know what's up.

Is she selling these kittens? It is so wrong to be breeding her female to whoever and being so irresponsible with kitten and cat care...

I agree you should suggest she fosters some kittens instead of making more. Get some info on how many little ones die in shelters each year, or how many strays are in your city. Show her that the world doesn't need more kittens brought into it in such an irresponsible manner...

So sorry for you to be stuck witnessing this awful scene! Hopefully we can help you find a solution.

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Malakaiii

On that note, I thought that most reputable breeders will not sell intact cats unless they know very well where the cat is going to? But I may be wrong... I agree that it is a good idea to contact the cattery (if they are a good one), and let them know what's up.
Unfortunately even if the breeders want to speuter the kittens before going to their new homes, not all vets speuter before six months old I know I had to look for months before I found one. Reputable breeders who don't speuter kittens before they get sent to their new home will make the buyer sign a contract and may withhold the papers until the speuter has been done. To a BYB the papers mean nothing and they let their pets mate indiscriminately.
They will only sell kittens for breeding to experienced breeders or to novices they are willing to mentor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
her breeder actually gave them breeding tips! She told them to put them in a small cage so they can't run from each other! Maybe I'll ask her to join, though like I said she thinks she knows everything. And I'll need to get rid of this thread.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Three cats only? Is that at a rental house or something or do you mean your whole city? That sucks, how the heck would they go about inforcing that?
Its 2 per household here. One cat, one dog, or two cats, or two dogs. But no more than that.

I'm way over the limit, so, shhhh.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i dont even know if we have a limit? shh i just wont say nothing , just incase lol.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is here also. Unless we witness physical abuse nothing gets done. We are alloweed If I am correct 4 cats per household here.