Strange habits

white ravyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a one year old Linx point siamese mix. From day one, this cat has proved he has a few screws loose. these are merely observations, I'm not really looking for advise, but if someone does have advise, it could be helpful...

When i first got Sano, he used to walk right by my ankles. he had this thing with separation. I couldn't even go to the bathroom without him being with me. Forget showers, I had a little peeping tom! (then after the showers, he would drink the bath water. Mommy soup? eww...) He constantly needed to be held. He was spoiled within a week.

Ok, because he was always a few steps near me constantly, I was always accidentally stepping on his tail. Strangely enough, he didn't seem to mind it. I step on his foot, he yowls. I step on his tail, he looks up at me confused wondering why he can't move. Hubby is convinced he can't feel his tail. it also swishes in ways that a cat's tail should move. it twitches, an not like normal twitches. and when it's not twitching, he's wagging his tail like a dog. hubby is convinced this cat thinks he's a dog. He can fetch too. Again, hubby thinks this fits his arguement.

This cat will chase his own shadow. And then run into walls. haven't figured this one out yet...

Sano like to watch the toilet swirl. then he looks underneath the toilet to try to figure out where the water is going. Strange. One minute, he is showing higher throught processes like this, then he's off chasing his own shadow and running into walls.... my poor kitty is so confused.

He sleeps in the sink....

Forget the $50 kitty condo we bought for him, he would rather play in the box. And toys? just give him the plastic it came in.

You cannot be within ten feet of this cat and have candy. if you do, he will demand that you ball up the wrapper and throw it so he can play with it. Again, why waste money on toys?

Sano is afraid of feathers.

Sano has gotten his head stuck in freezer pizza boxes (he'll fish the empty boxes out of the trash can and try to get in them)

his toes are ticklish.

this is something funny: if he gets scared, his tail will puff up like any cat's tail will, but it is dark with white stripes so when it fluffs up, it looks like he has a racoon tail. AND it takes a half hour to un-puff it (again, we don't think he can feel his tail, so maybe once excited he can't get his tail to calm down).

he has the tale-tell Siamese eyes, the beautiful blue that looks cross-eyed. It's just adds to the level of his appearance of unintelligence.

If it's on the floor, Sano will eat it.

never walk past him with socks or houseshoes on. Shoes or bare feet are fine, but he has this vendetta with socks and houseshoes. and he loves to attack you from under the bed where you can't see him coming.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awww I don't have any good advice to give you... he just sounds like any "normal" (read: insane) cat to me. I think they all have their funny little quirks.

I love your story about Sano's tail staying puffy for so long. I LOVE when they get the puffy tail, I just think it's adorable. My kitten Nigel has the opposite problem though, I swear he can't make his puff. I've seen him do it all of once, and then it was all pathetic-looking and only a little puffy.
He's such a silly kitten.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like he's still a kitten really, with many normal cat and kitten (mis)behaviors.
The need to be with you, must snuggle, doesn't learn (or doesn't want to learn).
The afraid of feathers bit is odd.

My Tomas is around 6 months now and has many of the same behaviors. He's very attached to me and will have a fit if I lock him out of a room I'm in, such as the bathroom. He still hasn't figured out that he cannot catch the bedroom ceiling fan, no matter how much he talks to it.

Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel

My kitten Nigel has the opposite problem though, I swear he can't make his puff. I've seen him do it all of once, and then it was all pathetic-looking and only a little puffy.
He's such a silly kitten.
Tomas's tail is skinny, when he fluffs it up there isn't much there.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't stop laughing!!!! He's a riot and you should be nuts about him! Siamese are weird, and do think they're dogs - it's normal for them. The tail thing could well be because he had some trauma at the base (like your tailbone) and acquired a little nerve damage some time, but seems not to mind, so just be careful of it for him. The rest is so funny, wish I had one like that!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white ravyn

I have a one year old Linx point siamese mix. From day one, this cat has proved he has a few screws loose. these are merely observations, I'm not really looking for advise, but if someone does have advise, it could be helpful...

When i first got Sano, he used to walk right by my ankles. he had this thing with separation. I couldn't even go to the bathroom without him being with me. Forget showers, I had a little peeping tom! (then after the showers, he would drink the bath water. Mommy soup? eww...) He constantly needed to be held. He was spoiled within a week.

Ok, because he was always a few steps near me constantly, I was always accidentally stepping on his tail. Strangely enough, he didn't seem to mind it. I step on his foot, he yowls. I step on his tail, he looks up at me confused wondering why he can't move. Hubby is convinced he can't feel his tail. it also swishes in ways that a cat's tail should move. it twitches, an not like normal twitches. and when it's not twitching, he's wagging his tail like a dog. hubby is convinced this cat thinks he's a dog. He can fetch too. Again, hubby thinks this fits his arguement.

This cat will chase his own shadow. And then run into walls. haven't figured this one out yet...

Sano like to watch the toilet swirl. then he looks underneath the toilet to try to figure out where the water is going. Strange. One minute, he is showing higher throught processes like this, then he's off chasing his own shadow and running into walls.... my poor kitty is so confused.

He sleeps in the sink....

Forget the $50 kitty condo we bought for him, he would rather play in the box. And toys? just give him the plastic it came in.

You cannot be within ten feet of this cat and have candy. if you do, he will demand that you ball up the wrapper and throw it so he can play with it. Again, why waste money on toys?

Sano is afraid of feathers.

Sano has gotten his head stuck in freezer pizza boxes (he'll fish the empty boxes out of the trash can and try to get in them)

his toes are ticklish.

this is something funny: if he gets scared, his tail will puff up like any cat's tail will, but it is dark with white stripes so when it fluffs up, it looks like he has a racoon tail. AND it takes a half hour to un-puff it (again, we don't think he can feel his tail, so maybe once excited he can't get his tail to calm down).

he has the tale-tell Siamese eyes, the beautiful blue that looks cross-eyed. It's just adds to the level of his appearance of unintelligence.

If it's on the floor, Sano will eat it.

never walk past him with socks or houseshoes on. Shoes or bare feet are fine, but he has this vendetta with socks and houseshoes. and he loves to attack you from under the bed where you can't see him coming.
You and your husband have to be having a blast with this cat, he sounds like such a joy to be around, it sounds like their is never a dull moment in your house.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

I can't stop laughing!!!! He's a riot and you should be nuts about him! Siamese are weird, and do think they're dogs - it's normal for them. The tail thing could well be because he had some trauma at the base (like your tailbone) and acquired a little nerve damage some time, but seems not to mind, so just be careful of it for him. The rest is so funny, wish I had one like that!
Same here LMAO! The stories just really had me smiling and laughing

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EricaNicole

what an awesome cat! your cat sounds like a normal fun loveable goofball!
Embrace his odd behavior, because I bet he embraces yours!
I agree, and tho some of this is very familiar...Midnight chases his shadows all the time, tessa likes her tail and well when Blues or Bellas tails fluff up from being frightened it usually takes a while to unfluff, man do i think its just soo cute, but is ur kitties tail long my tessa is a siamese and well she just loves to play with her tail
so honestly most of these traits i have witnessed in one of my 6 cats so this is all normal to me
and i think u should just love it and of course its good for laughs too Tessa likes to play with those plush pillow things, and well when my brother makes ceral he messes and drops half on the floor and well blue finds that and dog food play toys
and well oddly with toys Stormie only plays with those little mice but they gotta be the hard ones not the stuffed one and the gotta be small, bellas to lazy, blue finds ceral or dog food to play with, midnight plays with anyrhing, willie attacks the steps, and tessa just give her the plush pilow... and trust me i have so many toys that they dont play with
and I always buy them something new but they just like their things, although blue eats any tous hanging from anywhere ! So like i have said ur kittie just seems so normal to me
and I would love it, just like my siamese there is never a dull moment in this house she is just too funny, and we also do believe tho that she was abused and we do know she was used for byb (we got her from a private rescuer who got called because tessa was in a trailer park)

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He sounds absolutely wonderful! I love active goofy cats, I have 2 of my own just like that!

Radar is my really nutty boy, he's a cornish rex/siamese/dsh cross, now 10 months old. He races around madly leaping onto shelves and into cardboard boxes (he likes to hide in them and then leap out vertically at 50mph as you are walking past) and he crashes into things when he finds he can't put the brakes on quickly enough! He likes to lounge on top of the sitting room door. This morning he has given me the usual good morning cuddles, but now he is trying to climb up the insides of my trouser legs, and the rest of the morning we have been engaged in a running battle over which one of us is going to have the computer chair

Sonic is the little guy, a 4 month old oriental shorthair. He plays fetch and his favourite place to sleep is curled up on my head. I really hope he grows out of that before he hits 5lbs

Please post plenty of stories about your cat's antics, he sounds great

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white ravyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love my Sano dearly. While some of his 'quirks' are annoying (especially at 4 AM) we still can't help but laugh at him. If you want to see something funny, then check back here soon and I should have some pictures of him. he's such a cutie! But goofy too!