When should I worry about how little she is eating??

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Fiona would eat 2 canned meals a day and free feed dry. Now she will have a tablespoon 2x a day of wet and maybe a 1/2 cp. of dry. This has been over the last week.
Some environmental changes: We did get a new couch...and we were trying the feliway stuff and it ran out just as we were getting the new couch....btw: i moved her cat tree when we got the new couch and she didn't seem to like it.
(i moved the tree back tonite...she seemed puzzled but pleased)

So my question is When should i be concerned about her lack of eating? Is it because of all these changes?? She is playing normally.

I also came home from work today and nothing in the litter box. She usually has a few pee-pees and a poop by the time i am home and does more pee-pees after i get home...and maybe a poopy. She did a tiny pee-pee a little while ago and had a small bite of food. But she is playing.....

I just want to know when to be concerned. Any help from experianced cat people would be great! Thank you!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those Feliway Comfort Zone diffusers really do make a difference in a kitty's sense of wellbeing. Can you refill yours soon?

It's such expensive stuff -- we wouldn't be able to use it ourselves if we had to buy it at the local stores, but we recently discovered valleyvet.com, where it can be had much, much less expensively... and we got free delivery in just a couple of days!

Meanwhile, I'm sure having her scratching post back where it belongs will help... and I'll bet you're giving her lots of extra attention, right?
I bet she'll be okay soon...

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CarolPetunia is right about the feliway, if you feel like it was helping before, probably a good idea to get some more.

To answer your question, I would be a little concerned. Generally, besides their attitude, I ask myself if they are eating, drinking, peeing, and pooing normally...if any of those things are "off", I would call the vet to be safe.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

My cat Fiona would eat 2 canned meals a day and free feed dry. Now she will have a tablespoon 2x a day of wet and maybe a 1/2 cp. of dry. This has been over the last week.
Some environmental changes: We did get a new couch...and we were trying the feliway stuff and it ran out just as we were getting the new couch....btw: i moved her cat tree when we got the new couch and she didn't seem to like it.
(i moved the tree back tonite...she seemed puzzled but pleased)

So my question is When should i be concerned about her lack of eating? Is it because of all these changes?? She is playing normally.

I also came home from work today and nothing in the litter box. She usually has a few pee-pees and a poop by the time i am home and does more pee-pees after i get home...and maybe a poopy. She did a tiny pee-pee a little while ago and had a small bite of food. But she is playing.....

I just want to know when to be concerned.
Any help from experianced cat people would be great! Thank you!
The time to be concerned is when your cat loses weight I think but it is almost impossible to guess whether this is actually happening. I would suggest to all cat owners to invest in a set of baby scales to get accurate weight of their cats. I keep a log. Now that Spring is coming, you can find things like this cheap in garage sales.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys! She seems to be doing a bit better. The feliway is helping. I never thought to get a baby scale! What a good idea!

i am going to check out valleyvet because that corrosponds to a ? i posed on the rescue board, thanks!