won't cover litter

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have two cats and they share one litter box, I have another with the same litter but they never use it. Anyway one of the cats will cover his waste or at least try but the other one finishes and literally runs away, he gets very excited after going like when he was a kitten and would have his crazy moments a lot. Is there anything I can do to get him to cover his waste or should I just live with it and cover it myself.

white ravyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a similar problem. the young cat will paw and paw at the litter and is never really satisfied that it is covered (and will occaisionally will start digging when hubby drops a stinky bomb. that is so funny. I told hubby he was rotten, lol). the older cat, on the other hand, will not bury anything to save her lofe. she was like that when we got her, but it's still strange to us. Then the little cat will come in behind her and try to bury her mess.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats just wont cover. I have heard its a dominance thing. Im pretty sure you are going to have to cover it yourself. Do your cats listen to you about anything else you want them to do?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Maxy24

I have two cats and they share one litter box, I have another with the same litter but they never use it. Anyway one of the cats will cover his waste or at least try but the other one finishes and literally runs away, he gets very excited after going like when he was a kitten and would have his crazy moments a lot. Is there anything I can do to get him to cover his waste or should I just live with it and cover it myself.
I have two cats that also share one litter box. Persi, from the time he was a small kitten has always covered everything. Alley never covers anything, just goes. But I imagine this has something to do with the fact that Alley came from the streets. I am still hoping that she will learn from Alley the same way that Alley learned from his mother. This however is not a big issue with me as I use a covered box so you cannot actually see inside and it does NOT stink.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do your cats listen to you about anything else you want them to do?
Nope, That's true!
Oh well, occasionally the smell will get to Willie (the one who does cover) and he'll attempt to cover it for Neko. Hopefully when I switch their food it will not smell as bad, but we'll see.

(and will occaisionally will start digging when hubby drops a stinky bomb. that is so funny. I told hubby he was rotten, lol).
That's hilarious, my cat Willie loves to cover stuff but has never tried to cover those. Actually my other cat Neko loves the smell of fresh fart and when he is on your lap and you let one loose he shoves his head in your crotch, it's rather embarassing
ok I'll stop being nasty now, thanks for the responses.

white ravyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually my other cat Neko loves the smell of fresh fart and when he is on your lap and you let one loose he shoves his head in your crotch
OMG! that is so funny! We have no lacking of fresh fart around here. I wondering what I'm feeding hubby to cause that? Neko would love it here. But Sano... goodness, if Sano smelled anything gross, he will try to bury it.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Maxy24

I agree that it's likely a form of territorial marking...however, my Leopold went through a "phase" where he would dash out of the box after pooing, and then do the 100 yard dash thru the house. I'm talking about a new behavior that wasn't normal for him. I thought it was strange, but didn't worry too much. Then he started doing some scooting on his rear, on the carpet - after the mad dash. This all turned out to be because he had worms. After deworming, he quit running like crazy out of the box. I think the worms caused him some itchiness.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of people have commented before about kittens covering their older cat's poo.

Sho didn't cover for a years, I switched from a normal covered boxes (a bit small for Sho) to large clear rubbermaid containers with the lid on top. Now he buries! I'm not sure if it's because the box is clear or because he has more room to move.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stan only covers when the mood hits him. He actually prefers to dig down to the bottom of the box for presentation, leaving a nice ring of litter around his "gift".

Bella will cover it for him. There's no evidence of infection (like he's digging to the bottom of the box because it feels better), we think it may be a dominance thing. He's almost a year old and thinks he is a big guy. Bella says otherwise and gives him the occasional forced grooming.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

Stan only covers when the mood hits him. He actually prefers to dig down to the bottom of the box for presentation, leaving a nice ring of litter around his "gift".

That's hilarious! I'm sure you loooove finding those gifts!
Cosette is definitely my non-burier. She's been that way since we adopted her as a little kitten. I think, since Eponine is the more dominant cat in almost every other sense, this is her little way of asserting just a bit of dominance (Eppie refuses to cover Cosy's messes, by the way!).

fiftyfour

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kitty is good at covering her business. Yoshi on the other hand doesn't. I don't think it's a dominance issue with him because he will try to cover it, just not successful at it. He paws at the wall of the litterbox lol... sometimes I think I have a mentally challenged cat.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ugaimes

That's hilarious! I'm sure you loooove finding those gifts!
Well, on the bright side, when it comes time to take samples, I always know which one is his
as long as it's in the box, I'm cool with it!

catgal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your not alone. We are a multi-cat household. Some take the time to cover and others don't bother. It's frustrating especially when they poo. Thankfully the litter boxes are in the basement and I clean it out many times a day. I have seen the cats who cover-up do the dirty work for the ones who are too lazy to do so.