Am I Alergic?

emo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok.. so I've had my Cat since last June.. I've never had any allergies from cats or anything... But lately my eyes have been VERY itchy and I tend to sneeze for no apparent reason.. it's not related to touching my cat or being around it at all.. I just can't figure out if it's from my cat or something else.

I also have a big fish tank in my room since last March but I've been fine from it (or I think)

So how can I test if it's from my cat or not?

Thanks

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure they actually have tests they can do at the Doctors, I remember having one when I was much younger. Sometimes you can develop allergies after as well. It could be dust/mold..anything in the house.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's not related to being near the cat, it is more likely not your cat. Although, having a cat allergy and numerous other allergies as well, they can easily be a total-environment thing that doesn't involve physical contact with it. Like, I'm allergic to cologne and perfume, and being in the room with someone wearing too much is enough, I don't have to touch them.

Does it seem connected to anything else? Weather? Food? Season? Detergent? Really pretty much anything can make you allergic.

One piece of advice: If you go to a doctor/allergist, and they find out you have a cat, that is suddenly the ONLY answer you will ever get. It's often right, but I feel lots of cats have been needlessly rehomed or worse because of this. You can get an allergy test and see what you are allergic to pretty easily.

If it is cats, we have lots of members who live quite happily with cats and allergies.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Emo

Ok.. so I've had my Cat since last June.. I've never had any allergies from cats or anything... But lately my eyes have been VERY itchy and I tend to sneeze for no apparent reason.. it's not related to touching my cat or being around it at all.. I just can't figure out if it's from my cat or something else.

I also have a big fish tank in my room since last March but I've been fine from it (or I think)

So how can I test if it's from my cat or not?

Thanks
Do you live in a house or in an apartment? Actually, it does not matter, if the filter is not being changed in your central heating system, lots of people start noticing their allergies that otherwise went unnoticed. It certainly would not hurt to check to see if your filter is being changed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi

Do you live in a house or in an apartment? Actually, it does not matter, if the filter is not being changed in your central heating system, lots of people start noticing their allergies that otherwise went unnoticed. It certainly would not hurt to check to see if your filter is being changed.
I live in a house and my dad changes it regularly once a month... but yeah, I'll have to check to see what is making me have these annoying symptoms..

My cat's fur is pretty long but who knows, it might not even be him... my sister was extremely allergic to cats and she outgrew it...

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

One piece of advice: If you go to a doctor/allergist, and they find out you have a cat, that is suddenly the ONLY answer you will ever get. It's often right, but I feel lots of cats have been needlessly rehomed or worse because of this. You can get an allergy test and see what you are allergic to pretty easily.

If it is cats, we have lots of members who live quite happily with cats and allergies.
Agreeing with Zissou's Mom here most definitely! DO NOT let them know you have a cat at all...because they will without a doubt want to blame it on your sweet kitty...they always do!

Hope you do find out what it is though...and that ya feel better sooner than later!

Hilda >^..^<

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hilda>^..^<

Agreeing with Zissou's Mom here most definitely! DO NOT let them know you have a cat at all...because they will without a doubt want to blame it on your sweet kitty...they always do!

Hope you do find out what it is though...and that ya feel better sooner than later!

Hilda >^..^<
Here is something very strange for you: When I had short haired cats I had allergies. Now that I have a longhaired cat, I do not! But here is what I attribute this to: my short haired cats shed and my long haired does not shed at all which I in turn attribute to the combing I give him every day. But what exactly does not make sense is that as I am combing him, I do not start sneezing. But on the other hand, if there are cat hairs everywhere I would probably have my old allergies again. Or is it possible my allergies just "went away" because I love to stuff my face into Persi's long hair and rub my face in it. I guess he thinks this is just another way of brushing him!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people's allergies get worse with exposure, other people's get better. It is possible that you are simply less allergic to your long-hair, as it's not the hair we're allergic to anyway it's the dried spit. (And in my case, plain old spit...if Zissou grooms me I get hives right where her tongue was). IMO, short-haired cats seem to bathe themselves more. Don't know if its because of the owners grooming them, or what. I'm not allergic to Zissou anymore, but I'm still allergic to cats in general.

I hope you can find out what you're allergic too. From your symptoms it sounds airborne... mold, cat dander, pollen, anything that floats in the air.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be just about anything. If it becomes a real problem, then you need to consider having allergy tests done. They will test you for a variety of substances and that could give you an idea of what it could be. I have a lot of allergies, and have two cats. The doctor knows that giving up the cats is not an option and doesn't even go there. Allergy shots can sometimes help desensitize you as well, if you have severe allergies. Plus there are a lot of medications out there that can help. I would start by making sure that there is no dust around, furnace filter is clean, etc. and try to narrow it down before exploring testing.