Interest Groups

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok guys, I figured this was the best place to ask. I have to do a small project on an interest group of my choice for school. I know I should be more involved but I'm not right now. So, tell me what you favorite cat/animal rights interest group is so I can check them out!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I support the Big Cat Rescue in Tampa, FL.
www.bigcatrescue.org
The rescue big cats (leopards, tigers, ocelots, etc.) that have been mistreated or neglected in roadside zoos, private "collections", etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As much as I'd love to bash PETA it's not that type pf project. Basically, I'm doing a site analysis of one particular group. Thanks for all the suggestions!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TabbyTail

Here is a good one:

http://petsalive.com/

What's wrong with HSUS? Is there something I should know?
They basically have the same beliefs as PETA and other AR extremists. Worse yet, they have MILLIONS of dollars that they collect from people to help animals, when in fact, they use this money to pass legislation against animal ownership and do not use any of this money to run shelters. I can go on, but when I do, many people think that I am telling lies. If you would like more info, you can contact me privately and I will be happy to educate you on the real truth about HSUS. Please, do not confuse HSUS with your LOCAL humane society or shelter. They are not one in the same.

tabbytail

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info, I had no idea. I was a paid member for years because I admired their devotion to domestic pets in particular and I used to recommend them to people as an alternative to PETA. I still don't think they are as bad as PETA (if you read those links) but I do understand where you're coming from about putting their money in the wrong places.IMO there should be no greater issue and priority than NO KILL and rescuing. This is why I can't fully support ASPCA either, because their shelters have way too high kill rates for me.

Perhaps the worst thing about PETA is how they misled, even LIED to people to get them to hand over animals they fully intended to kill. They used their rep as animal fanatics to gain the trust of rescuers, shelters and individuals unfairly. That is unforgiveable and inexcusable.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like

Animal Rescue New Orleans... http://www.animalrescueneworleans.org/

they are an AMAZING group started after hurricane Katrina and still doing about 2500 food/water station for the cats and dogs STILL on the streets. There are large areas of Nola that are still pretty much as they were right after Katrina.

I am not sure what your project is exactly, but their website is pretty extensive. They also have a yahoo group as they rely on volunteers from all over the world.

I am with Amber the Bobcat on HSUS. I used to donate too them as well but now I wouldn't give them a penny ever again. They are Washington lobbyists.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I used to send in money to HSUS, because I thought they were not like PETA and did a lot of good. That was until I learned the truth. To give you an example how they are similar to PETA. In my state, there is a bill pending, that would ban my right to own the cats that I have now: My bobcats and cougar. If you read the bill, you will find that if a person who currently owns such animals can not meet the new requirements of the law, the animals will be seized and destroyed. HSUS supports this bill. So, HSUS supports the killing of these animals. I called HSUS headquarters in Washington DC and asked them why they supported this bill. I told them, by doing so, they are supporting the killing of animals. They claimed they had no idea, but that is a lie. If they are going to support a law, you would think they would fully understand the law before supporting it. They took my name and phone number and said they would have someone call me back....they never did. They, HSUS, still supports this bill and just made a statement calling for my state to pass this legislation. Sorry, but HSUS is terrible. It's sad really. Because with all their MILLIONS, they could do a lot of good by educating people on responsible pet ownership and help fund low cost spay neutering. But they don't