Catsitting - better to keep Trout at home? Or send her to the exes?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, my ex verified that he will watch Trout while I am away later this month...

I am wondering if it would be all bad for her to go there instead of the ex coming to my place every 2 days to check up on her..

Pros and Cons:

If she stays home - She will be comfy at home, but very lonely

- Ex would have access to my "stuff" (
) I do trust him though..but still

If she goes there - He has a young cat, and not sure how that would work considering Trout is a psycho.
- Trout wouldn't be lonely, and she knows my ex, so maybe it wouldn't be awful for her to be there?

I guess, I just feel awful that she will be so lonely while I'm gone. He is only coming every 2 days..and probably won't pay attention to her at all
Poor thing. If she goes there, at least there will be a human around..but then again, she is high stress and taking her out of my place might be too much..especially with another cat there...

Any suggestions?

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always think it's less stressful for the cat if they aren't moved around. I mean the move PLUS a new cat PLUS the ex... a lot of changes for Trout.

On that note, can the ex not visit more than every few days? Is there anyone else that can help look in? I'm currently trying to figure out what to do with Baylee... I don't want to leave her alone for more than 24 hours but I don't know if there's anyone I trust/want to ask to look in on her while I'm visiting my parents.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are going to be away for more than a couple nights I would opt to have her taken to his place. I know my Abby was so lonely and starved for attention when I got back from being in the hospital for 2 weeks. She was too afraid to let my brother or his girl friend come near her so she didn't get any attention at all. I felt so bad for her

My vote is to take her to your ex's house.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

So, my ex verified that he will watch Trout while I am away later this month...

I am wondering if it would be all bad for her to go there instead of the ex coming to my place every 2 days to check up on her..

Pros and Cons:

If she stays home - She will be comfy at home, but very lonely

- Ex would have access to my "stuff" (
) I do trust him though..but still

If she goes there - He has a young cat, and not sure how that would work considering Trout is a psycho.
- Trout wouldn't be lonely, and she knows my ex, so maybe it wouldn't be awful for her to be there?

I guess, I just feel awful that she will be so lonely while I'm gone. He is only coming every 2 days..and probably won't pay attention to her at all
Poor thing. If she goes there, at least there will be a human around..but then again, she is high stress and taking her out of my place might be too much..especially with another cat there...

Any suggestions?
Sure, suggestions are cheap! I got a second cat because I travel much. But before I got the second cat, I always had somebody come in to take care of Persi. As a matter of fact I am leaving for a few days Friday and having my sister-in-law take care of the two. That would be my first choice. However, in my case, I would never let my ex anywhere near, but it sounds like you do not have this problem. When away, I would call Persi up on the speaker phone. I know he listened to me because he always runs over to the phone when it rings. Another thought: It is estimated that over 70% of ID theft is done by friends and relatives. Something to keep in mind if you have sensitive data around the house, whoever takes care of your cat in your home.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
if it were my kitty, i would opt to leave him home. he would be lonely, but at least he'd have the comfort of familiar surroundings. i think uprooting him would be more traumatic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226

I always think it's less stressful for the cat if they aren't moved around. I mean the move PLUS a new cat PLUS the ex... a lot of changes for Trout.
Hmm, good point there.
:censor::censor::censor::censor:, I just feel so bad that she will be all alone, and wondering where I am for a week

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh heck, Nat, I think she is best at her own home - and you did say that there would be another cat involved at his house - I think that would be very difficult for all concerned.
I always leave mine - our friends come round 2-3 times a day and they are very good with all my kits (and they dont have a cat - or ever had one ) so in your case you know how your ex is gonna be with Trout.
Let us know what you decide
I know how much of a worry it can be

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would definitely leave Trout at your place and have the ex come there, but is there anyway for him to come at least once a day?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I would definitely leave Trout at your place and have the ex come there, but is there anyway for him to come at least once a day?

Or do you have another friend that could come by on the odd days?

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever I go to California to visit my sister, my parents take care of the girls. However, my parents' don't know how to administer Cleo's sub-Q fluids, so I hire one of the vet techs at the clinic to come over also while I'm gone. This might be something to look into. Vet techs know that animals need attention and will spend time with your kitty, make sure she eats, gets play time, etc. On the plus side, they know what to look for as far as any illness goes. They also will pay attention to food consumption and elimination patterns. This is something to consider if you're gone and she's depressed and not eating, etc. You certainly don't want hepatic lipidiosis to set in from not eating. Something like this might not be noticed by your ex if he doesn't come every day, or isn't paying very close attention. Another thing I do is talk to my vet and let her know I'll be gone for X amount of time. I give her the number where I'll be and authorize treatment for any of the girls if need be. I also give her my credit card number for any emergency treatment, if needed. That being said, I trust my vet implicitly.

Hope you can figure out something that works for you and Trout! And I hope you have a nice trip.

Pookie & the girls

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vote for leaving her home and having the ex come over and take care of her. She may be a bit lonely, but really its proly what is best.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am suffering through the same saga Nat.... my DH wants to take me to Bermuda for my 30th b-day next year & I don't even wanna go. I will be sick with worry all week while I'm gone. But I have found out it will be best for them to be home. My DH took Louie into our basement a few weeks ago, and Louie freaked out big time, scratched the heck outta him and was puffed up like he got electrocuted!
It took an hour for his tail to calm down!
So, it will be less traumatic for Trout to be home alone. My "plan" is to have my neighbor feed them their morning wet everyday & give her $50, then to have my friend come over every evening after she gets done work, and bring in my mail and feed them dinner, maybe spend some time with them..... and of course I'll pay her as well.

When we vacation in the US, we will be taking the kitties, they seem to do OK in a different environment when DH & I are there, like when we went to Ohio....they were fine with us....

Now as far as valuables, I'll be sure to lock up all my stuff in my safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Nah, he has a hard enough time doing the favour for me by coming every other day
I don't know anyone else in London either that would mind doing it.

I know it sucks, I am worried about her. We do have the same vet and I will leave all emergency numbers..and Ken knows to make sure Trout has been eating...I am very adamant to keep an eye on her food since she got sick last year. I will make him give her some love too!!

Can someone tell me it'll be okay? I am getting more upset leaving her as I read through this thread

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Nah, he has a hard enough time doing the favour for me by coming every other day
I don't know anyone else in London either that would mind doing it.

I know it sucks, I am worried about her. We do have the same vet and I will leave all emergency numbers..and Ken knows to make sure Trout has been eating...I am very adamant to keep an eye on her food since she got sick last year. I will make him give her some love too!!

Can someone tell me it'll be okay? I am getting more upset leaving her as I read through this thread
If you can make him promise to spend a little time with her when he comes I would say leave her at home. She will be more comfortable there.

You can always tell him that if he doesn't comply with this, I will put a "gris gris" on him.
If he says he doesn't care about that, then let Neet explain to him what a "gris gris" is.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Trout would love to stay home. Just put stuff you dont want him to say locked up .

I bet Trout would rather stay home then to deal with trying to get along with another cat and ya never know they could fight. You Ex will be watching her so there is a plu.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know how scary it is being away from them! When we went back to Australia for 2 weeks I worried about them all constantly! I worry when we're away for 3 days

But we have wonderful neighbours who come every 1-2 days to check on them, and while I'm sure they wonder where we are, they're always fine. They're clingy when we get home and are major snuggle bugs, but otherwise they're perfectly fine.

If she has any favourite things, then leave them out for her. We put extra catnip around the house, and for the last trip, bought 2 foil helium balloons with mousies tied to the end of the balloons for them to play with.

You know she'll just find a sunny spot and sleep the days away

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Trout will be fine. Just make sure that you leave a light on for her, something low wattage so your power bill doesn't take a hit, if you're not on the first floor leave the blinds open at her favorite window, plenty of food since I'm assuming you free feed, and PLENTY of toys around for her to play with.

Might even want to leave a TV on on Animal Planet at a low volume if she's into that. I know I had this one show about ostriches on one night and Anya watched the whole thing from start to finish.

I'd leave a worm sweater or something of yours on the bed too for her to snuggle with when she misses you.

Trout should be fine.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also think that its always best to leave a cat at home in their own environment. Honestly I would rather my cats be a little lonely than completely stressed out in a new environment PLUS another cat? Yikes.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

i leave mine alone without even a visitor for up to 5 days. i have 4, so they don't get lonely, per se, but i know they miss me, because of the loving i get when i get home. i also always tell them when i'll be back.