My poor couch

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 4 cats. All of them except for one uses the many scratching post and/or sissal covered cat trees I have placed strategically around the house. But one of my cats refuses to stop using my couch as a scratching post!!!!

I love my cat, but I really like my couch too. And she is detroying it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I feel strongly about not declawing so that isn't an option for me. Thanks.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by siameseohio

I have 4 cats. All of them except for one uses the many scratching post and/or sissal covered cat trees I have placed strategically around the house. But one of my cats refuses to stop using my couch as a scratching post!!!!

I love my cat, but I really like my couch too. And she is detroying it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I feel strongly about not declawing so that isn't an option for me. Thanks.
When we got our new leather couch, we took out an optional insurance that promises to fix any tears or scratches within three years. Behind the couch are Venetian blinds with cords hanging down so the cats get up onto the back of the couch to attack the cords and their rear claws have completely scratched the top of the couch up. At some point I will be checking to see just how good this insurance policy works out! There is not an exclusion in the fine print anywhere about having cats so we shall see.

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can apply strips of double sided masking tape to the areas that are appealing for your cat. Cat's HATE getting sticky stuff on their paws and will soon learn to avoid the area. Also, make sure you have both horizontal and vertical scratching devices around your house. Between my 3 cats, I need both kinds as they do have a preference.

Good luck.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used Sticky Paws to get Ginger to stop using my couch side as a scratching post. It is strips of clear, double sided tape. You might try that and see if it works.

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I simply put catnip on all of the cat furniture periodically. The human furniture remains unscathed, but your mileage may vary as the cats never really bothered the furniture to begin with, and the cat tree and condo preceded our kittens.

gracy50

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did the double-sided tape trick too and it worked. If it clear then it isn't as noticeable either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I'll try the double sticky tape and see what happens.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about using a enzyme cleaner then sticky tape/paws? Some cats will repeatedly return to an area because scratching is also a form of scent marking.

white ravyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm having a bit of trouble with my siamese. he is obsessed with the couch, not that I'm all that obsessed with the couch. It's a real piece of junk and I would rather the cat scratch the sofa as opposed to the carpet which will make me lose the security deposit in the apartment, but every time I discourage him from scratching on the sofa, he starts scratching the carpet! He completely ignors the scratching posts on the kitty condo we bought him! Both our cats love to play on the kitty condo, but have no interest in scratching it. our calico loves catnip, but the siamese could care less, so putting catnip on the condo only words for the calico. she's older and was declawed we we got her, so we don't mind her pawing at the furniture. we find it funny "Tabby, stop tearing up the furniture!" lol, then she'll look at us like we're stupid. I think she understands too much english... Anyway, I got to thinking, maybe if I could convince her to use the condo, maybe the siamese will follow her example. anyone with further advise, please help.

And by the way, the siamese loves tape and I eve tried putting plastic rug mats on the sofa with the bristled side out to discourage scratching. Well, the siamese just found other places to scratch the sofa, played with the tape, and chewed on the plastic.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white ravyn

I got to thinking, maybe if I could convince her to use the condo, maybe the siamese will follow her example.
With my cats I just have to convince Mister, then the others follow. He is the leader in what's cool or not

You will need to pick up the siamese every time she scratched to couch and put her on the condo. It will take time but that method has worked for me.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As the owner of a pathetic shambles that was once a couch, I have no wisdom whatsoever to offer... I just want to say BLESS YOU for not declawing!

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried showing your persistant puss what he has to do with the scratching post. With my kitten I took her paws & scratched them over the sissal. She knew what to do straight away. Or put puss in a room with only scratching post so he has nothing else to scratch. As for the double sided sticky tape. I've used it to stop my puss from getting onto certain objects. Worked for 1st time now she just walkes around it.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thought, have you tried using some sort of offensive smelling spray to cats. Like bitter apple.
First you would have to make sure it wouldn't damage the couch.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have destroyed countless pieces of furniture.

I just cover it up with sheets now.

I try and clip their claws about once a week or so, and that helps. I should try the double sided tape.. hmm.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

As the owner of a pathetic shambles that was once a couch, I have no wisdom whatsoever to offer... I just want to say BLESS YOU for not declawing!
Thank you.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kalikat

Have you tried showing your persistant puss what he has to do with the scratching post. With my kitten I took her paws & scratched them over the sissal. She knew what to do straight away. Or put puss in a room with only scratching post so he has nothing else to scratch. As for the double sided sticky tape. I've used it to stop my puss from getting onto certain objects. Worked for 1st time now she just walkes around it.
I pick her up after I catch her scratching my couch and take her straight to the sissal on the cat tree. I've scratched it to show her what it is for. And I've taken her paws and shown her. She could care less. She prefers my couch.

I'm going to walmart and petsmart this evening to check out double sticky tape, the apple stuff, and whatever other product might work.

It is a relatively nice couch, or else I wouldn't care. They have total freedom to roam the entire house. This is the only room that I have stuff that I care that much about. The couch in particular.

She is a spoiled little thing and I'd have a hard time limiting her to a certain area. I did it by accident before, and she talked her head off complaining until I opened the door. I may of created a monster.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you only have Sissal available for her? I have only 1 cat that like sissal, the others like wood, cardboard and carpet.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I only have sissal and wood. I was told not to use carpet because it trains them to scratch your carpet. Although I don't have carpet I have wood floors. But I imagine I'll be moving in several years and may have carpet then.

One of the cat trees was made for me and it has sissal and natural looking wood. The other cats love the wood as well as the sissal. Maybe I need to get some cardboard.

I went to petsmart yesterday but I had to run in and run out quickly because my 5 year old was sleep in the van, so my husband stayed behind with him. I'd rather take my time when I'm looking to buy a new product that I never bought before. So I just got their food and came right out. I'm going to go alone today.

I'll report what I find and how it works. Thanks everyone.

magicalanimal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In my old apartment my kitty used to scratch the wood in the doorways. When I moved, we got a beautiful wood bed and worried he would scratch it so we bought "Soft Paws" from the local Petco and our worries ended. These are little rubber caps that you glue on over their claws so they can't really scratch. They are considered a humaine alternative to declawing and are designed by vets. They come in really cool colors and they are the best cat invention I've ever come across. For like $20 you get everything you need for at least a few months. I recommend looking into these. Blackjack loves them.. see....