i have been given HUMAN medication for my CAT

appleseed_1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
uno currently has pink eye, there are red veins at the corners of his eye.
i have been given eye drops for him. but on the leaflet it says "safety in pregnant women'
is this normal?
should i use???
the product is called optomycin eye drops.
thankyou!!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by appleseed_1

uno currently has pink eye, there are red veins at the corners of his eye.
i have been given eye drops for him. but on the leaflet it says "safety in pregnant women'
is this normal?
should i use???
the product is called optomycin eye drops.
thankyou!!
Yes, it is perfectly normal. Especially in eye drops, antibiotic ointments etc. Even oral antibiotics used to be the human kind and sometimes still are. It can be significantly cheaper sometimes, if you can get your vet to prescribe the human grade and get it at a regular pharmacy. It has only been in fairly recent years that they have developed animal specific antibiotics such as Clavimox and Baytril (I think that's the one I'm thinking of.)

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup it's normal. Jaffa has had a few bouts of conjuncitivits and the eye drops he gets given are human eye drops.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

appleseed_1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thankyou okey then i was just worried
many thnxx

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats has been given amoxycillan three times and each time it was the thick bubblegum pink liquid that I gave to my kids when they were little and that I remember taking when I was a kid.

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give my Redford Atenolol, which is a human beta blocker for his heart condition. Love it. I just go to the CVS store to pick it up. No special trip to the vet.

Tricia

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

One of my cats has been given amoxycillan three times and each time it was the thick bubblegum pink liquid that I gave to my kids when they were little and that I remember taking when I was a kid.
Same here! Somehow cats don't appreciate the bubblegum taste like we do.
When Sho had a horrible URI as a kitten he would hide at medicine time.
Years ago I knew someone who hurt their back at work, lifting a large german shepherd (worked in a vet office), the vet gave her a couple of painkillers for dogs.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by peachytoday

I give my Redford Atenolol, which is a human beta blocker for his heart condition. Love it. I just go to the CVS store to pick it up. No special trip to the vet.

Tricia
My Boxer takes that, too
. Generic human prices have been cheaper than the vet for us so far. She also takes a pill for hypothyroidism- she and my dad take the same medicine!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I get Beandip's medicine at Walgreen's. When I walk up to the counter, they always say, "Can I help-err...Beandip, right?"
They know me by my cat's name. LOL

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Human meds are fine as long as a vet told you when and how to use them

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Yeah, I get Beandip's medicine at Walgreen's. When I walk up to the counter, they always say, "Can I help-err...Beandip, right?"
They know me by my cat's name. LOL
I get some of Cleo's renal failure stuff (Lactated Ringers bags & IV admin sets) at the same pharmacy that I get my meds at. When I go in to pick up a script, they ask if it's for me or Cleo! And the nice thing is...they always ask how Cleo is doing

Pookie & the girls

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Spot was still around, he was getting methimazole for his hyperthyroidism--another human medication that I bought from the pharmacy I used to work at. We had several other non-human species that received medication there. With the exception of dewormers, flea medications, and a couple of antibiotics, I think most kitty medications were human medications first.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our beloved Sambo was given human cough syrup, the vet even called it in to our Wal-Mart, and the precription was in Sambos name too.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my Smokey was in CRF, she took 1/4 of a human high blood pressure pill a day (Norvasc?) and when my boys had ring worm they used an antifungl I had to go to Walgreens to get (Sporanox sp?)

cubbie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't worry, every "human" medication was tested in animals before it was tested in humans.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i just picked up a "human" medication for my cat today. i picked it up at walgreens pharmacy. it was kind of weird going there to pick up a prescription for an animal. it was so cute though, the name on the prescription bottle said Kevin Cat Mylastname. it seemed like they were pretty used to filling pet prescriptions.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

i just picked up a "human" medication for my cat today. i picked it up at walgreens pharmacy. it was kind of weird going there to pick up a prescription for an animal. it was so cute though, the name on the prescription bottle said Kevin Cat Mylastname. it seemed like they were pretty used to filling pet prescriptions.
yeah we feel weird but they are used to it

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I started working at the shelter I was surprised how many of the meds we give are really people meds.

Always kinna makes me smile... dont' know why...