Now if he'll just match 'em up and put 'em in the drawer...

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I'm not the neatest person in the world. I habitually slide out of my socks and leave them on the floor at bedtime, rather than take them to the hamper right away. This has never been a problem before... but these past few nights, Clyde has been dumping my socks in the water dish!

Sure, money is tight -- but I really don't expect my cats to start taking in laundry...

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Okay, I'm not the neatest person in the world. I habitually slide out of my socks and leave them on the floor at bedtime, rather than take them to the hamper right away. This has never been a problem before... but these past few nights, Clyde has been dumping my socks in the water dish!

Sure, money is tight -- but I really don't expect my cats to start taking in laundry...
Hello, Plano person!!

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen birds put things/food in water.

You'll just have to put in hamper straight away
put a lid on or locked in laundry. There's nothing like soggy socks, not.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apparently you're not the only one with that problem.
(see the fetch thread)
For some reason when Sho was younger he'd take dirty socks and put them in his litter box.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
bout time he started earning his keep!!
my cats just drag the socks under the bed to the exact middle where I can't reach them
I think there's about 3 halves of a pair under there

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Apparently you're not the only one with that problem.
(see the fetch thread)
Would that be me?

Sonic loves to dunk things in his waterbowl, as mentioned on that other thread I have got up in the morning to find undies in there (clean ones I hasten to add
) and on one occassion he dropped a furry toy in his water bowl then brought it over and woke me up by dropping the very soggy toy on my face

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've got a rare "laundry" cat....appreciate his help and praise him.

I've got a rare "kitchen/dishes" ocicat - he likes to steal the kitchen dishtowels for drying and the cloth for washing......now if I can teach him how to put the cups and plates away......

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I've got a rare "kitchen/dishes" ocicat - he likes to steal the kitchen dishtowels for drying and the cloth for washing......now if I can teach him how to put the cups and plates away......
Sonic dashed into the kitchen the other day and I followed him and got there just in time to find him making off with the washing up sponge clamped between his teeth
He already drops things in his dish, so now all I need to train him to do is rub it around a little and rinse

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Would that be me?

Sonic loves to dunk things in his waterbowl, as mentioned on that other thread I have got up in the morning to find undies in there (clean ones I hasten to add
) and on one occassion he dropped a furry toy in his water bowl then brought it over and woke me up by dropping the very soggy toy on my face
Yeah- you've just given me a great idea for getting my wife up on a weekend

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silentNate

Yeah- you've just given me a great idea for getting my wife up on a weekend
Just remember it's cute when the kitty does it...

adrianna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two-year-old Bengal puts everything that he likes in his water dish. I read that some cats do that because in the wild, they keep things that they like in their "nest" for safekeeping, and so domesticated cats may use the water dish as their place for safekeeping (presumably because they see the water dish is their property). I'm not sure how that applies to socks, tho!

If I'm unable to find an earring, or anything else small and shiny, it's very likely in his water dish. Curiously, he also seems to have an affinity for Kleenex tissues. He will literally pull as many as he can out of the trash (eew!) or out of the box, and then wet and shred them in/around his water dish.

He also has great affection for anything he can find in a plastic bag, and for plastic in general. Not the grocery bag variety, but the shiny kind, like Zip Lock bags are made of.

Has anyone else experienced or heard of the plastic or Kleenex tissue, uh, issue?

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Adrianna

Curiously, he also seems to have an affinity for Kleenex tissues. He will literally pull as many as he can out of the trash (eew!) or out of the box, and then wet and shred them in/around his water dish.

Has anyone else experienced or heard of the plastic or Kleenex tissue, uh, issue?
My childhood dog has a real liking for tissues. Every once in a while he'll get the idea that he HAS to have some, so he'll go through the trash and pull out all the tissues, chew them up and leave them strewn all aorund the bathroom. It's really kind of disgusting. Don't know if what's going on is his dog-mind is the same thing that's going on in a cat's mind though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha! What great stories! Thanks for sharing!

And yes, Adrianna, two of our cats are big plastic-chewers -- especially the heavy plastic packaging around cartons of water or papertowels. I read somewhere that some of these plastics are processed with some kind of fish oil (yecch!), so that may explain it...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Adrianna

He also has great affection for anything he can find in a plastic bag, and for plastic in general. Not the grocery bag variety, but the shiny kind, like Zip Lock bags are made of.

Tomas loves plastic grocery bags. If I want him to come to me quickly I can shake a plastic bag and he'll come running.
He loves to play in them as well, but luckily does not try to eat them or any other plastic.

He does on occasion put pieces of dry food in the water dish, I think he likes to watch them sink.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

...He does on occasion put pieces of dry food in the water dish, I think he likes to watch them sink.
Or maybe he's making soup!