A question for the ladies...

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I've been seeing a hematologist for the last year about my platelet levels being high (they're the things that let your blood clot). We've pretty much determined that its due to low iron levels, and I'm on iron supplements now, but after months on the iron, my platelets are still high.

So one of the questions I always get to try and explain my low iron levels is if my periods are especially heavy. I've never thought that they were, but then again, I guess I've never really thought about it that much. They don't seem heavy to me in that it never interferes with my day or anything, but maybe I just don't realize that they technically are.

So ladies, my question for you is, what do you consider "heavy" periods? I grew up with a bunch of boys, so its not exactly the kind of question you can ask them!
Maybe I've been wrong all this time!

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

So ladies, my question for you is, what do you consider "heavy" periods? I grew up with a bunch of boys, so its not exactly the kind of question you can ask them!
Maybe I've been wrong all this time!
When you're wearing a pad and it looks like a vampire barfed up its meal of human blood, or there's so much blood you'd swear something was slaughtered in there.
I also have other suggestions on what is "heavy" but I'm not quite sure if some of the guys here want to read about it.

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Oh my gosh that's funny! I agree with them though but if you have a tendancy to be low iron anyways, i think even the smallest thing can make you go over the fence.

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

When you're wearing a pad and it looks like a vampire barfed up its meal of human blood, or there's so much blood you'd swear something was slaughtered in there.

oh my...
that is a way Ive never heard it described

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is definately the thread to scare the boys away!

Thanks for the input girls. I still don't think it sounds like mine should be a problem - maybe my body just hates iron!

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A pad the really thickones or a Super tampon every hour - two hours is what my doctor said is problem heavy. I am sure you have had other blood work done. Do you eat meat? Your period most likely wouldn't effect your iron levels to that degre. You would have to be bleeding really heavy for like 2 weeks straight for it to matter. I think the average amount some one looses durring a period is only a few grams of blood. You would have to be bleeding out for it to matter. Don't quote me thogh, I am in no way a doctor.

My best advice is get more blood work done. Get a full work up. If you are vegitarian, go meet with a nutritionalist, you may be lacking something.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I've had all sorts of blood work done. I've even been tested for internal bleeding. I eat plenty of meat, and as I've said, been on the iron supplements for quite a while now. We did a bone marrow biopsy to determine if the bone marrow stem cells were overproducing platelets, and that's when we discovered that my bone marrow iron stores were low. I've been getting blood work done just about every month to measure levels like red blood cell count and hematocrit -those tend to be normal though I think my levels may have dropped a bit the past two weeks - I've been so tired and coooold!

I was hoping that maybe I was wrong about the heavy periods part, but I can definately say I'm no where near that! I would actually rate mine on the light side.