odd meow

mandm1213

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bryne Kelly just reminded me to post. When she meows, it's not a normal meow that is carried out the whole way, but an abrupt end. It sounds like she kind of gargles at the end. Anyone have any ideas?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mandm1213

Bryne Kelly just reminded me to post. When she meows, it's not a normal meow that is carried out the whole way, but an abrupt end. It sounds like she kind of gargles at the end. Anyone have any ideas?
Cable's meow is quite different from the others', as well - hers is kind of a squeak. if she's always meowed like this, she's just an unusual meower. if it's something new, then there might be some kind of problem.
i also have a cat that i've never heard purr... ever.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I worked at a shelter, there was a cat who seemed to be a little confused about what to do when she was happy. Instead of purring, she growled. It spooked me the first time she did it, but then I realized that she was enjoying being loved on and growling was just her way of purring...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shorty14788

When I worked at a shelter, there was a cat who seemed to be a little confused about what to do when she was happy. Instead of purring, she growled. It spooked me the first time she did it, but then I realized that she was enjoying being loved on and growling was just her way of purring...
Java does neither. she has a one-syllable 'mew' like a kitten's, & i've never heard her purr. weird.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mandm1213

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks. i don't know if she has always meowed like that.. because i just got her.. i hope that it's normal. =) thanks a ton

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard sick kitties make a meow that sounds wet/gargled at the end. If this is new check to see if the cat sounds congested when breathing. If the cat has always meowed this way, well your kitty has it's own special meow!