TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Fang getting his teeth cleaned on Friday.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fang getting his teeth cleaned on Friday.

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
WE met the new vet, I really like her, I think she will be good. She said blood work was not neccessary, but the rabies shot was, so we got that. She also said he can have water after 11pm eventhough the instructions says none after 11. Maybe I misunderstood. Is it really no water? He will be going under anesthesia, goes in in the morning, and I pick him up later in the day. She said his teeth are pretty bad for a three year old cat, but he had a very rough first year of life, living on the streets in the bitter cold.
post #2 of 21
I was told no water for two hours prior ... you may want to get that clarified
post #3 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
I was told no water for two hours prior ... you may want to get that clarified
Yeah, 2 hours seems good. We've always been told water was OK, just no food.
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailuvscats View Post
WE met the new vet, I really like her, I think she will be good. She said blood work was not neccessary, but the rabies shot was, so we got that. She also said he can have water after 11pm eventhough the instructions says none after 11. Maybe I misunderstood. Is it really no water? He will be going under anesthesia, goes in in the morning, and I pick him up later in the day. She said his teeth are pretty bad for a three year old cat, but he had a very rough first year of life, living on the streets in the bitter cold.
I am just curious if you do not mind. How much does a teeth cleaning cost? I think my Alley (who is also from the streets) could use a cleaning. I guess every vet is different but when I had Persi nuetered they told me no food or water the night before but I took him in at 7 am so he was without for 8 hours.
post #5 of 21
Last time Zoey was at the vet, she manually scraped the bit of plaque off her teeth. She has some pearly whites and they are in great condition for a 5 year old. Saki on the other hand, looks to me like his teeth are not in the GREATEST condition. I may need to have his cleaned soon, and he's only 4.

Good luck at the vets.
post #6 of 21
Thread Starter 
The cost for the basic cleaning is 90 bucks, the appointment with the rabies shot was 68. geezy peezy,thats a lot of money.
post #7 of 21
Thread Starter 
I dropped off Fangy just now for his teeth cleaning. I am so worried something will go wrong. I must keep positive thoughts, He cried the whole way over, poor baby. I will pick him up around 4. He was so hungry. He ate at 5:30, but not a lot. He generally eats later, so he wasn't real hungry at 5. Please send him good kitty teeth cleaning vibes. thanks
post #8 of 21
Lots of positive vibes for sweet Fang. I'm sure he will do just fine and soon will be home and back in your arms.

post #9 of 21
Lots of ]]]vibes [[[for Fang. He will be home soon
post #10 of 21
Sending teeth cleaning vibes your way!!

Stumpy had 1/2 of his teeth pulled on Monday. We pulled food and water the night before and while I normally pull water a few hours before, I knew he was going to be deeply under for the surgery so did it earlier.

If it's any consolation, Stumpy got home after his extraction and proceeded to chow down on canned food. Yup, he was hungry and the extractions didn't stop him from eating. If the surgery didn't bother him, the cleaning should be easy for Fang.
post #11 of 21
My local vet wanted $300 for a teeth cleaning, I had to object, that's way to much. I clean Toms teeth now myself.http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...lies/smile.gif
post #12 of 21
Thread Starter 
Poor Fangy. He had to have two teeth extracted that were cracked. He was happy to be home, would roll over and rub his chin on the floor whenever I checked on him. I was worried because his eyes were still dilated, but he is ok this morning, pooped, peed, had some food. He will be getting antibiotics for a week. Poor baby, walking around with those bad teeth, for maybe a year. They didn't interfere with his eating though, I'm afraid now he will eat more! He already weighs 15+ pounds.
post #13 of 21
Those cracked teeth must have been hurting him.
It great that they are gone.
Fang will feel a lot better without them.

I am glad that he is home and recovering well.

Don't eat to much Fang.
post #14 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xocats View Post
Those cracked teeth must have been hurting him.
It great that they are gone.
Fang will feel a lot better without them.

I am glad that he is home and recovering well.

Don't eat to much Fang.
Fang thanks you! Me too.
post #15 of 21
Poor baby! How is Fang feeling today? Which teeth did they need to pull?
post #16 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmany View Post
Poor baby! How is Fang feeling today? Which teeth did they need to pull?
I think it was two molars in the back, one on top and one on the bottom. The paper says extraction Incisor 1st-3rd 10-15. They charge $10 an extraction. I didn't get much info at discharge because #1 it was crowded for 4 pm pick up, AND they couldn't find his carrier, I didn't leave till 4:40. I was really worried when they weren't bringing him out, thinking he took a turn for the worse, then when they came out and told me they couldn't find the carrier, what does it look like? I was pissed. Of course it might have helped had I had my name on it .
so I didn't ask many questions except about feeding. As it turns out, he didn't want much last night anyway.
post #17 of 21
Watch him closely for signs of pain. You didn't mention pain meds - they gave us a 5 day supply for Stumpy and usually give meds for extractions. If it looks like he is in discomfort, call your vet today and ask for some.

Fang has stunny eyes btw........
post #18 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
If it looks like he is in discomfort, call your vet today and ask for some.

Fang has stunny eyes btw........
He doesn't seem to be in pain, I am sure he must have some.Not even a mention of pain, of course, as I said, I didn't ask many questions. What are Stunny eyes? Is that your cats name?
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailuvscats View Post
What are Stunny eyes?
Oops - that's called a fat fingered blunder. I meant to say "stunning"!
post #20 of 21
I'm glad to hear the cleaning went well, and that he seems fine. Too bad about the extractions, though.
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailuvscats View Post
The cost for the basic cleaning is 90 bucks, the appointment with the rabies shot was 68. geezy peezy,thats a lot of money.
$90 is a deal! A lot of places charge $200-300!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Fang getting his teeth cleaned on Friday.