Zoom Groom convert!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having two long-haired beauties, one who'll sit for combing and one who refuses to, I have gone through pretty much every single grooming comb/brush/implement there is, but until this weekend, hadn't yet tried the zoom groom.

Yesterday, I took the collars off both my furkids to groom them, after noticing that simply scritching sessions were producing handfuls of shed fur. (Yay! Spring is on the way!)

I started with Ginger, using the shedding comb that has alternative long and short teeth (that's my most favorite comb for my longhairs, as it really gets the undercoat and helps keep coats from matting.)

Then I moved on to Ferris, who, after watching Ginger get combed out, didn't protest, and for a change, I was able to give him a pretty thorough grooming, although there is no way I can brush out his belly at this point. (I see a lion cut in his future!
)

Then later in the day, seeing as Ferris had been SO well behaved when I'd combed him, I decided to try the zoom groom on him. He really, REALLY likes rough scritches, and the zoom groom was quite accepted by him - he even streched out on his belly, purring, so that I could get full back coverage!

I tried it out on Ginger, too, but it was too rough for her most delicate little self, so I will stick to using it on the tough guy. Between the combing and the zooming, though, I think I got enough fur off the two of them to create a whole new kitten!

Spring is springing!!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys love the zoom groom too and rough scratching, particularly rough shoulder scratching.
(...Tomas also likes headbutting my elbow and trying to climb on my arm while I type.
)
Maybe it's a boy kitty thing to like bit rougher grooming? If some other people can comment on that.

Don't worry so much about Ferris not liking his belly brushed, both of mine are sweet gentle lumps of fur, but hate having their bellies brushed. Maybe it's because bellies are soft and sensitive, or because when cats fight they do their best to shred their opponent's stomach.

Oh, and I didn't know your Ginger was long haired? Your siggy makes her look sort of short haired.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Maybe it's a boy kitty thing to like bit rougher grooming? If some other people can comment on that.
From what I understand, my soon-to-be third furchild, Tinta, loves rough scritches on her shoulders and just above her tail. So I think it just depends on the kitty. Like people, some are more sensitive than others.

Originally Posted by strange_wings

Oh, and I didn't know your Ginger was long haired? Your siggy makes her look sort of short haired.
She apparently has a lot of Maine Coon in her genes. The fur on her belly, britches and tail is very long, but on her head and around her shoulders is quite short.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm glad Ginger and Ferris both enjoyed it!
Abby is a fan of the ZoomGroom also

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

I'm glad Ginger and Ferris both enjoyed it!
Abby is a fan of the ZoomGroom also
Actually, Ginger hated it and ran from it, but I think that "Zooming" will become a favorite new activity for Ferris! I used it again on him last night as he lay on his side at my feet, and he visibly relaxed and purred louder, LOL!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

He's really beginning to trust, isn't he?
Oh he is, he is!!!

He is now just starting to let me kiss him on the top of his head without flinching away from me! Yesterday evening, he even let me give him several kisses in a row, and stayed on my lap the whole time!

I just knew he had a lovey-dovey lap cat hidden inside all that fear!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How wonderful!! I have a fraidy cat that LOVES to be brushed and is one of the BEST ways of bonding and developing trust I've discovered for her. My Callie is similar to your Ginger, she's got short/medium hair on her head and back, but her belly and back of her legs is longer. She's a HUGE fan of the Zoom Groom. I brush with the Zoom Groom, then follow up with a swipe or 2 of the comb that has wide teeth with a swivel feature so they don't get stuck in the fur. Callie also loves to have her tummy petted and brushed and purrs so much while brushing that she begins to drool and chirp!

Hannah, my short haired beauty also enjoys a good brushing and also likes the Zoom Groom. However, her absolute favorite thing to do with the Zoom Groom is chew on it so I have to be sure to put it away when finished!
She's another one that doesn't like having her tummy touched, unless she's very, very, very sleepy.

Stephanie

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys are started to shed too
I had just used it for the 1st time on Davidson
on Sunday, and he wasn't a fan

Harley LOVES it- I brush him daily, because he likes it that much!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's like a rubber curry brush with big nubbies instead of little ones. Uses static electricity to attract the shed fur off your cat and onto the brush (and your hand, lol.)

THey sell them online and at most pet stores.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh what would I do without my Zoom Groom !
Seriously, it is the best brush that I've come across. My cat's are both medium-long hairs and it does such a great job of grabbing the loose hair. I LOVE IT!! A bonus is that you can use the back of the brush to remove hair from furniture ( I use it on the cat tree alot
) Neither of my kitties liked to be brushed before I found the Zoom Groom but now they run TO ME when they see it

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
luxor still hates it......do you actually BRUSH or just kind of delicately pet them with it.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use too much force, but it is too rough for Ginger - I can only use a comb on her.

Ferris likes it rough, though, so he enjoys the massage that the Zoom Groom gives him.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try bribing your kitty with treat's while brushing to keep them still. That's all that it took for my guy's to realize that it wasn't like the other brushes that we'd tried
As soon as they realized that it was like petting they stopped squirming.