Do you use anything to keep your cat's eyes clean?

hannahgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is the safest thing to rinse a cat's eyes out with? Water and a face cloth or is there something better? I just checked out Petco online to get an idea of what is available, there are SO many drops and wipes. Does anyone have a preference for a particular one? Of course with the eyes, I want to be so careful.

My main goal is to rinse my cats eyes out if she gets dust or something in them and they are watering.

Thanks.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, to remove eye-boogies, I use my finger. Doesn't cost me anything.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a persian/exotic shorthair or a flat faced cat that is NOT white, then Optrex is the thing to use. Just a little bit on cotton wool and wipe off.

If you have a persian/exotic shorthair or a flat faced cat that IS white, then Eye Envy.

If it's just boogers, cotton wool soaked in warm water is great!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Persian cats need their eyes cleaned daily but I never do anything more than GingersMom just mentioned, and that is to use my fingers because all of the gunk forms in the corners of his eyes and easily picked out.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

That's what I do, too!!

I have some old washcloths that I use when needed for kitty stuff. If the eye booger stuff is crusty, I wet it with warm water and wipe out the eye. Most of the time I just use whatever's handy...napkin, paper towel, tissue, toilet paper (clean of course), t-shirt. It just depends on how much of a hurry I'm in.

Stephanie

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

That is what I do too.

I also use (if its stubborn) is a damp washcloth or a cotton wool or a cotton ball/square. I would also ask your vet for any suggestions.