'Cheap' Food is expensive in the long run

chinakit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am currently not in the best of health and am unable to work, so a few weeks ago I decided to buy cheaper food for my cats. Imagine my distress though, as my cats have all lost weight and one of them, my beloved Lemur, developed cystitis, resulting in a trip to the vet and considerable discomfort to her!

Now I am back on the 'expensive' food - James Wellbeloved, which is wonderful. My cats are looking better already, Lemur had recovered very quickly and I am happy again, if a tad ashamed of myself for considering doing this to my loved ones. I will go without myself in future, rather than cut down on the quality my cats are used to.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
all cats are different, but yes many don't do well on the cheap stuff. i hope your kitty is feeling better, and best wishes for your own speedy recovery!!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Chinakit

I am currently not in the best of health and am unable to work, so a few weeks ago I decided to buy cheaper food for my cats. Imagine my distress though, as my cats have all lost weight and one of them, my beloved Lemur, developed cystitis, resulting in a trip to the vet and considerable discomfort to her!

Now I am back on the 'expensive' food - James Wellbeloved, which is wonderful. My cats are looking better already, Lemur had recovered very quickly and I am happy again, if a tad ashamed of myself for considering doing this to my loved ones. I will go without myself in future, rather than cut down on the quality my cats are used to.
You are so kind to put your cats ahead of yourself. But we want you to get well and get well soon so you can enjoy and love your wonderful cats.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, I hope your health improves soon. It's good to hear that your kitties are doing better. I hope Lemur has no more problems with cystitis. Hugs and good health vibes to all.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you're feeling better soon
and you're right, cheap food often is a false economy. JWB has always been my dry food of choice - they've always done well on it.

Originally Posted by sharky

I dont beleive the Uk has Natura as prevelent as in the US ... the EU doesnt allow many of what we call better brands... a quick search doesnt yeild UK as a place it is sold....
We can get very few of the brands that are frequently menioned on here which is a shame. You can get decent food over here but there aren't many premium brands available, especially for wet food.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi
nice to see another Britt. I feed mine JWB too, they sometimes do three kilo bags for the price of two kilo and Pets at Home sometimes does buy two get one free, I try to stock up when they are on offer

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Chinakit

I learned this the hard way as well. I think it is particularly hard on cats who have been eating higher quality food and then we attempt to put them on cheaper food, versus the cat that has always been on a cheaper food.