Wind

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is supposed to get VERY windy and cold here today. We have a wind warning that was set only 25 minutes ago. It says it will be worst near London, which is only 20 minutes away.
I can already hear that its pretty windy outside.

This is what the warning says.

A POWERFUL COLD FRONT HAS SWEPT ACROSS MUCH OF SOUTHERN ONTARIO THIS MORNING AND WILL CONTINUE TO BLAST SOUTHWARD TO LIE SOUTH OF THE LOWER LAKES BY NOON TODAY. A BLAST OF VERY COLD ARCTIC AIR ACCOMPANIED BY VERY STRONG NORTHWESTERLY WINDS WILL FOLLOW THE FRONT. WIND SPEEDS OF 60 TO 70 KM/H WITH GUSTS NEAR 90 KM/H ARE EXPECTED IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE FRONTAL PASSAGE AND ARE LIKELY TO LAST NEAR 3 HOURS THEN DIMINISH TO 40 KM/H WITH GUSTS TO 60 KM/H. LOCAL NEAR ZERO VISIBILITIES IN BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW ARE LIKELY TODAY ESPECIALLY THIS MORNING WITH THE HIGH WINDS. SNOW SQUALLS HAVE ALSO DEVELOPED TO THE LEE OF THE GREAT LAKES AND ARE EXPECTED TO PERSIST TODAY AND INTO THIS EVENING WITH LOCAL WHITEOUT CONDITIONS POSSIBLE IN SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW. THE MOST INTENSE SNOW SQUALLS ARE EXPECTED TO AFFECT AREAS NEAR LONDON..THE GREY - BRUCE REGIONS AND TO A LESSER EXTENT INTO THE BARRIE TO INNISFIL AREA. LOCAL SNOW AMOUNTS IN THE 10 TO 15 CENTIMETRES RANGE ARE POSSIBLE BY THIS EVENING. EXTREME CAUTION IS ADVISED ESPECIALLY NEAR LAKE HURON AND GEORGIAN BAY WHERE STRONG WINDS COMBINED WITH LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL CAUSE NEAR ZERO VISIBILITIES IN BLOWING SNOW. VERY COLD AIR AND STRONG WINDS WILL PERSIST TONIGHT AND TUESDAY MORNING PRODUCING WIND CHILLS REACHING MINUS 35.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have the same front coming in through here...and it is nasty! We live on top of a mountain and I swear a few times during the night I thought the house was going to go! Wind chill is only in the single digits here, so we're not getting it as bad as you. Be careful, especially driving!

BTW, I was in London a few years ago...beautiful city. An old "internet" boyfriend lived there. It was 40+ degrees here when I left, and the entire time I was there it was below zero. Of course, the day after I left temps went up into the 50's! You can't blame me for this one though!

Sending be safe vibes your way!

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Guess I am not going to go to the accountant today to submit my taxes. And I really do not think that we will be going for many smokes tonight at work either. I guess march came in like a lion this year.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds brutal! You'll be O.K., though. Keep a flashlight and some candles handy in case the power goes out.

We had storm after storm this winter here at Juan de Fuca Strait, two with winds up to 160 km! (99 mph!) It hurt your face to be outside, because the rain would hit so hard. We need a new roof, but no trees came down.

Have you been out in it? Good luck!

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's very windy out.

Ripped some siding off the house already.
I went to go to the rescue a bit ago, someone was bringing a cat in, and on my walk there, I got blown over. I'm a very small person and that didn't help much.
Almost felt like it would pick me up and blow me to the moon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Sounds brutal! You'll be O.K., though. Keep a flashlight and some candles handy in case the power goes out.

We had storm after storm this winter here at Juan de Fuca Strait, two with winds up to 160 km! (99 mph!) It hurt your face to be outside, because the rain would hit so hard. We need a new roof, but no trees came down.

Have you been out in it? Good luck!
I always have candles and flashlights around because of that. Our power goes out too easily. I am actually really surprised the power, satellite and internet have all been working today.

I went out to get the mail earlier, just down to the end of the driveway and stuff was getting blown into my eyes and I almost got blown over. I am just hoping that the house is ok. Our roof isn't very good (but they want $27,000 to fix it...yes you read that right). It's soooo cold inside here today because the ceiling is still not fixed from when it caved in because of the roof.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's windy but not that windy here. Now that the sun is going down you can feel the drafts. Burrrrrr..