Question about possible UTI

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just made Dori a vet appointment for tomorrow. I suspect she has a UTI

I just realized that I don't know how they test them to see if they have a UTI
The vets office didn't tell me to try and collect urine (not sure how I would do that anyway). Do they just treat with antibiotics based on the symptoms I explain?

Also, and this is an important question I just thought of! It is time for her annual exam and shots so I scheduled those for the same time. Will that be too much for her to deal with at the same time if she does have a UTI??? My poor girl

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about your vet, but when Joey had crystals they squeezed his bladder and got some pee. I hope it's not to rough of an apt for Dori, is she usually calm at the vet?

Best of luck sweet Dori...Let us know!!!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At my vet, they have me drop them off...then they just wait for the kitty to produce a urine sample and call me with the results later.

If this is the first time for her, the vet may just examine her and send you with antibiotics.

Personally, I would postpone the exam and shots. A UTI can be pretty annoying (for the cat) and somewhat painful.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Molly requires an urinalysis, my vet performs a Cystocentesis (extracting urine directly from the bladder using a needle and syringe) after shaving a little patch on her tummy.

As for collecting urine otherwise, you'll either need an empty tray or unabsorbent litter ....and some patience

I would also leave her boosters for a while and let her get over the vet visit(although it might be best to discuss this with your vet at the appointment)

Many }}}VIBES{{{ heading to Dori

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

At my vet, they have me drop them off...then they just wait for the kitty to produce a urine sample and call me with the results later.

If this is the first time for her, the vet may just examine her and send you with antibiotics.

Personally, I would postpone the exam and shots. A UTI can be pretty annoying (for the cat) and somewhat painful.
I too would postpone the annual stuff .... I collected Kandies sample at home( not a fun thing but sure bets her at the vet all day ) ... I had to get one at home since she would nt pee for the vet( with IV fluids she held it for over 6 hours)

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Umm yeah I should clarify..don't postpone going to the vet, just postpone the shots....like Sharky said "the annual stuff". My brain is not engaged this morning.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

When Molly requires an urinalysis, my vet performs a Cystocentesis (extracting urine directly from the bladder using a needle and syringe) after shaving a little patch on her tummy.
This is how my vet gets urine samples from my cats, except they never shave them.
It's a whole lot faster than waiting for them to pee.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have had it done all 4 ways- dropping off and waiting, special carbon litter at home and waiting, the squeeze (but your vet has to be very good at this, or it can cause bleeding. The vet who told me this was very good at it- never made Bird bleed. Other vet in the same office did it, she peed blood- one of the reasons I left- I didn't want to have to have him see my cats again -especially if it was an emergency- very nice man, didn't like his techinques), and the new vet does the needle- but no shave either

Your vet should be able to check the urine sample right away and determine whether or not she has a UTI, and if not, she may say it is alright to get the annuals, based on the test and symptoms you describe to her

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for all the responses

I just want Dori to feel better right now! I feel awful about the thought of them having to stick a needle in to drain her bladder, but I also don't want to have to wait an extra day to collect her urine at home, and I don't want to leave her at the vets.
I guess I am hard to please, aren't I?

I am going to discuss going through with her shots and such with the vet. Suprisingly, she does fairly well at the vets office. She doesn't like the car ride, but we are literally 2 minutes from the vet now. They are located at the entrance to my neighborhood, so coming in after she is well wouldn't be a problem.

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Squirtle, the Cystocentesis is very easy and quick. They did it right in the exam room when Nya last had to have her urine tested (she HATES the squeezing, and this was the better option). She didn't fuss at all, just looked at the vet with a "what on EARTH do you think you're doing?!" face, and it was over

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vanillasugar

Squirtle, the Cystocentesis is very easy and quick.
Yep. I just took Zoey for her annual on friday, and my vet took her in the back, got a urine sample, gave her her FVRCP shot and took her temp all in a matter of literally 5 minutes. It doesnt seem to phase Zoey at all.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

I just realized that I don't know how they test them to see if they have a UTI
The vets office didn't tell me to try and collect urine (not sure how I would do that anyway). Do they just treat with antibiotics based on the symptoms I explain?
when Pixel had hers, they tried to obtain urine from her, but she didn't have any... so they treated her based on her behavioral symptoms [she peed on my pillow, narrowly missing peeing on my head
] worked, too.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Working at a vets office and seeing animals come in with UTI's all the time... I would have to say the cysto is the way to go... Not only do you get the urine quickly, but it is almost always more comfortable for the cat. Most of the time they're more upset about having to lay down on the table then actually having the needle go in. Most dont feel it at all...Not only that but it is a much cleaner sample which mean the results will be more accurate.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whew! I feel MUCH better after reading about the kitties who have received the cystocentesis. That's the route we will go if given the choice. I will update after her appointment tomorrow.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And if this isnt a crazy cat lady I dont know what is... I time Zoey's vet appt. when I KNOW she will have pee in her ....
Otherwise they always want me to leave her there and I hate doing that.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Stumper has a UTI recently I dropped her off at the vet's office. She didn't have enough urine in her bladder to get a sample so I left her there for a while hoping she would produce something. No such luck. She got liquid Clavamox based on her symptoms.

I hope your vet can get a sample from Dori and that her UTI clears up quickly. I know it is uncomfortable for them. Hugs and good vibes to you and Dori.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can ask them to give the cat some subq fluids while they're there, that will usually help things along.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We went ahead with the shots because Dori wasn't running a fever.

The bad news is that she has to go back to spend the day tomorrow. The vet wants to do a urinalysis on her. She weighs 11.5 pounds, which shocked me. The vet said she has a very small bladder for a kitty, and especially one who has a belly. Dori really doesn't look overweight, but for her small frame she really is. Anyway, she suspects she has crystals in her bladder which would only get worse without treatment.

I have to drop her off at 7:30 and if she has gone by lunchtime I can pick her up then... if not then I have to wait longer and if she doesn't go by the end of the day they will do a cystocentesis.

I hate the thought of leaving her in the morning

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it's not what they suspect

I wish I could offer more for you, but I can offer many, many
for you both

Tonnes of Healthy, Good Results and Calming }}}VIBES{{{ to Dori and many
and calming }}}VIBES{{{ to you

ETA: Did the vet mention if Dori is holding Urine? Was there any symptoms of inflamation of the bladder?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm sorry your visit didn't go a bit better. I hope you are able to bring her home at lunchtime

Did the vet have any suggestions on how to help Dori lose weight?