Does anyone have their kids micro-chipped?

zhazha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes? No?

I've been giving some thought into getting ZhaZha micro-chipped.

She wears a collar, but it's mainly so that we can find her because of the bell on it. My thought on that is how hard would it be to remove it if she was to get outside. If I have her chipped and the shelter picked her up they could still find out who her owner was if someone had removed the collar.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
All our babies (mine and tristans) are chipped as they came from shelters. If they ever get lost you can't rely on a simple bell. If someone finds them they can be scanned and returned back to you. Get it done (unless your baby is a 24 hr a day indoor animal)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The thread title made me blink, for a moment I thought kids = human children

Mine aren't chipped, being a rural area, there's no one that scans for them here. No shelter, animal control does not scan, in fact unless there's a bite report they do no pick up cats. Vets can scan but animal control wouldn't check with a vet unless there was a visible tag. Random person finding a cat likely wouldn't even know about micro chipping.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our willie is micro chipped and o my thank goodness because when he got out we hung flyers and everything even in the supermarket in our area and well he was in our area and had a collar on but no one called
but someone did take him to the shelter where they found that he was ours
and that little brat has put on most of his weight back to
(he was gone for over a month, we went driving around looking for him everywhere and no sign and he did go in with his collar but because he was microchipped they found who we were, his tags had fallen off though so thank goodness for the micro chip, I am thinking about it for Stormie and Bella because Stormie refuses to even where her collar and Bella seems to break out under her chin from it, so also at the one shelter around here it is only $26 I do believe so I dont think thats a bad price...is it? )

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

The thread title made me blink, for a moment I thought kids = human children

Mine aren't chipped, being a rural area, there's no one that scans for them here. No shelter, animal control does not scan, in fact unless there's a bite report they do no pick up cats. Vets can scan but animal control wouldn't check with a vet unless there was a visible tag. Random person finding a cat likely wouldn't even know about micro chipping.
We always scanned the cats the park rangers brought in if they were feral or other because most of them end up having a chip. I suppose different places do different things.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I figure it can't hurt. When I had my guys fixed it was treated like a given in the fixing procedure. Fred and Nerm don't go outside, but in the instance that they got out, it gives me some piece of mind. You never know.

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
all mine are and are stictly indoor cats.

2 weeks ago i came home in a hurry and went to change and i thought hubby closed the door when he let me in and he thought i did and it was open..Gabriel was sitting outside on the mat. OH i was SO scared and counted the cats 10 times. He was the only one outside and he ran inside when he heard me screaming.

One day Sephie and Gabriel were sitting by the patio with the window open and something spooked Sephie and he knocked the screen out and was outside.

Never ever think there is no way your cats can get out.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I thought you meant children too! All mine are chipped, except Biscotte, and she will be when she is spayed.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are totally indoor cats but are both chipped. Radar was done when he was neutered at 6 months old, and Sonic was done by the breeder's vet when he had his last lot of kitten shots. You can't be too careful, what if one of them got out (unlikely but you can never say never), what if they were stolen and I needed to prove their identities etc.

My vet offers it as part of a neutering package.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zhazha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to do some calling around today and see if I can find a decent priced place and get her in to get chipped. I have zero intentions of ever letting her out, but I do realize she can sneak out or get out by accident which is exactly why I have been thinking about it.

I wish our animal shelter offered it, but they don't. They scan them when they come in but they don't offer the actual service of chipping them.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, just got them done last week. It was $50 per cat and took all of 2 minutes each. They are indoor cats, but both have a great ability to slip out of collars (and my husband thinks they look dorky
). There's not much chance they'll get out now (we're on the 3rd floor, so it's 3 doors and two flights of stairs to get outside), but we'll finish our renovations and move down to the 1st floor at some point and then they'll have a lot more opportunity. The little stinkers...

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of mine are chipped. Chester was done when I adopted him from a shelter and my new vet offered it for free when Dynah was fixed last week. Back home they cost $100, but here they are $25-$50 so I recomend calling around. You'll want to make sure it's a universal chip, they should know and it shouldn't be a problem finding one.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All 6 cats, the dog and the bird have been chipped.
Small price to pay for peace of mind.

Even if you live in a rural area, even if they are strictly indoor, there is always a small chance.

In the event of theft (or custody fights) of pets, there are only two forms of Pet ID that the court systems recoginize because they are permanant.
Tattoos and microchips (or closed bands in the case of birds).

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had the parrot done. I've been under the impression that it can cause a type of tumour, because while cats and dogs are chipped under the skin, in a bird it has to be done into the breast muscle itself. Please tell me I'm wrong about that, and I'll get him done!

He's not got a ring either, I don't know about regulations elsewhere, but here it's optional for non-native captive birds that aren't covered by CITES, and some breeders don't use them because they can cause problems. If he'd had one when I got him I'd have had it removed because I once had a budgie that wouldn't leave his alone, he chewed his leg and it got infected, he could have lost his foot or even his life if we hadn't had it sawn off

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In birds it actually goes behind the muscle not in the tissue itself.
I've had all my pets chipped since they first became publicly available (including lovebirds, Meyer's and 2 Quakers), I've never had any have any problems from them.
My bird does not have his closed band anymore, he's runty for his species and it slipped off his foot years ago.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

In birds it actually goes behind the muscle not in the tissue itself.
I've had all my pets chipped since they first became publicly available (including lovebirds, Meyer's and 2 Quakers), I've never had any have any problems from them.
My bird does not have his closed band anymore, he's runty for his species and it slipped off his foot years ago.
Thanks for that! For some reason I am much more squeamish about the parrot having a great big needle stuck into him than I am about the cats

He is probably due for a vet check in the not too distant future. Maybe I'll go the whole hog and get him DNA tested as well so I know for definite whether he really is a he