Nigel is going to the vet tomorrow...

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
... for his hernia operation. I took his food away as he's not allowed to eat after 8:00, and now he keeps staring at the spot on the floor where his bowls used to be, then looking up at me and giving me a scornful look.

And I KNOW he's not hungry, because I gave him a nice wet dinner before I had to take everything away. Hey little buddy, you're not going to starve going through one night without food. Although I might not survive with the looks he's throwing at me! If looks could kill...

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww....poor baby!
Hope the surgery goes well and a speedy recovery! I know about those looks....they can be so pathetic...But Mom....why did you take my bowl away?

sweetiecat3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, good luck to Nigel.... and to you, too - don't give in!

Please update us on how he is doing and when he's back home.
He'll feel so much better once it's healed, though!

Hugs to the both of you, he's gotta be brave and you gotta be strong (yah especially with the food thing right now!! lol)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

Awwww....poor baby!
Hope the surgery goes well and a speedy recovery! I know about those looks....they can be so pathetic...But Mom....why did you take my bowl away?
I'd say the look is more like "if you don't return my food this instant, I will chew on your fingers to get the nutrition I desire". Nigel is a sweetheart, but you don't mess with his food.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

LOL...just spoil him afterwards...I think he'll forgive you.
thats what I did

Its so sad when u have to take away their ffood because those looks I do know what u mean, and well my lil stormie likes to MEOW up a storm when she has no food and she is quit a piggy
But then when we found bella who was abandoned and with out food for over a week and then feed her as much food as she wants for 2 weeks and then it disappears...o man i felt so bad and then I got told she was over weight
2 weeks after her spay appointment even tho she was already spayed
well she was starving skin and bones and well i had to give her some food u know but now I am watching her weight because she is my lil fat girl and u dont wanna take away her food!!!

for both of yinz
and good vibes for tomamrow coming ur way

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending many good vibes for Nigel's surgery {{{{}}}} and many scritches for him
He is going to be one angry kitty when its all over

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw poor little thing.

I am sending hugs and prayers for Nigel's surgery, Please let us know how he is doing.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with the surgery!

Radar had corrective surgery on his umbilical hernia at the same time as his neuter, and 24 hours after he came out of the anaesthetic you wouldn't have known he'd had surgery, he was bouncing around as usual. He licked and pulled at the stitches a little the first day, but he healed up fine despite leaping all over the place as normal.

Just one thing - I was quite surprised at the size of the incision, I thought it would be tiny but he had 5 external stitches (and 2 layers of dissolving stitches in the muscle layers underneath) and his whole belly was shaved. It is a minor procedure really, and how big the incision is probably depends upon the size of the hernia, but I just wanted to warn you in case you were shocked when you first saw his stitched up tummy afterwards. All his fur will grow back in no time though

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your kind words. Nigel really appreciates it, and so do I.

I dropped him off first thing this morning and worried all day at work, of course. When I went to pick him up they told me that the hernia had fixed itself as he grew, which was good news, but unfortunately they had to open him up anyway just to make sure everything was fine in there. Two different vets looked and both agreed that the hernia was no longer there, so they put him all back together for me. Apparently he was under the anaesthetic for quite some time as they spent awhile searching for his hernia... which doesn't make me happy but I guess it can't be helped. I feel really badly for making him go through what amounted to unnecessary surgery, but at least we know there's no hernia lurking in there somewhere.

Driving home with him he was shaking inside his carrier, so I was quite worried about what sort of condition he'd be in tonight. Luckily he's been quite happy and content, maybe just a bit sleepier than normal. Pekoe greeted him right away and didn't seem concerned about the vet smell on him. They played a bit together (pretty gently or else I'd have broken that up fast!) and he's been purring on my lap on and off all night. I think all is forgiven.

Except that he's not allowed to have food until tomorrow morning... we may be in for a long night