Renters! GRRRR!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forgive me but I'm ranting a little. Our third renter is 4 days late in paying his rent.
Why can't we find anyone who's worth a poop to rent our house?
Comeon, we live RIGHT next door, so he knows when we are home and when we aren't so paying shouldn't be a problem right? He also knows our cell and home numbers so calling us shouldn't be a problem either. But he's done niehter but leave us with a note stating that he's going to his parents and will be back the next day ( DH saw him the 1st) so when asked if he has the rent he proceeded to tell DH that his brother went to jail and he had to give him his rent money to bail him out???? What's that about? SO he said he'd have the money by 3 oclock Sat. So we were both off at 3 and went over there numerous times through out the night (his cell is conviently not taking calls) and he hasn't been there yet. Now it's 9:30 Sunday night and I want my money. I am very angry and want to know why we can't find anyone to rent our house that will pay the rent when it's due? We fronted this guy the security deposit AND two months rent to fix up the place but he's not even finished the place like we agreed.
I really want to change the locks but he's DH's friend and so DH is being a jerk and letting this guy walk all over him (just like the last two did, they were his friends too, seeing a pattern yet??) and won't let me do that, so here I sit, stewing and being mad at him because he's being a jerk and being mad at the renter for taking me for $700 in rent and $300 in lights. pretty crappy IMO. Sorry I just needed to rant.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
hummm when the lease up ??? maybe you need to not rent to DH friends...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

hummm when the lease up ??? maybe you need to not rent to DH friends...
He signed an opened lease, we can boot him to the streets if he doesn't pay his rent this month. Problem here, the lights were never changed to his name so we are stuck with his $300+ in bills. I am really starting to hate DH's friends. I try to tell dh this, but he thinks that that is a smart thing. I've proved him wrong three times now. Think the third times the charm???

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what the laws are like there, but the tenant has until the 15th of the month legally to pay rent before any action can be taken against them legally here.

I agree though, that your situation is not the best and I would NEVER rent to a friend...just like I would not lend a large amount of money to a friend...good way to end a friendship if yah ask me.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would politely tell him that you really need the money on time, because you count on it to pay the bills. If he can't pay he's going to have to leave. Tell him it's not that you don't understand that he may be going through a rough time, it's just that you can't afford to have late payments.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese

I don't know what the laws are like there, but the tenant has until the 15th of the month legally to pay rent before any action can be taken against them legally here.

I agree though, that your situation is not the best and I would NEVER rent to a friend...just like I would not lend a large amount of money to a friend...good way to end a friendship if yah ask me.
I think he has until the end of the month if I remember correctly then we can change the locks. Yeah I should've just said no when DH brought it up to me, what a dope I am.

Originally Posted by ClaireBear

I would politely tell him that you really need the money on time, because you count on it to pay the bills. If he can't pay he's going to have to leave. Tell him it's not that you don't understand that he may be going through a rough time, it's just that you can't afford to have late payments.
If I could find him I would. He's ducking me because he knows I am upset. I can't find him at the places he SAID he worked, and I don't have his parents phone number where I am sure he is. I just want him gone. I am so sick of this stuff. I told Brad I am burning the rental down and making a garage out of the property. (yeah right, like I'd put my house in danger like that but it's nice to dream).

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the future, I would rent to people either of you don't know and I would get references that way you know they are responsible. Friends are not always good to lease to because they think they can walk all over you.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

In the future, I would rent to people either of you don't know and I would get references that way you know they are responsible. Friends are not always good to lease to because they think they can walk all over you.
Oh no, they walk all over Brad, not me. If it was me sitting here with the renter the other day, I'd have the rent in my hand or he'd be moving out now. But Brad is nice and puts it all on me and lets him go with a "my brother gets paid tomorrow and I'll give you the money by 3 Sat". Can you all see his sucker sign glowing from IA???

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You wouldn't want to rent to me then. Because I normally wait 5 days after to pay because I normally have to wait for Friday to get the check to him. It's either an issue of just getting up there or getting our checks in the bank first. But our landlord is understanding and it's no biggie. I do get charged an extra $5 if I go past 5 days but that doesn't normally happen.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had and have rental properties. Unfortunately your DH is not acting too wise in this instance. This is your money, I think it is very nice he can afford to support his friends. I only had to get burned once, I do credit checks, get the security and give until the 5th for rent to be in. Fortunately, my tenant upstairs is good about the rent on time. Before her I had a guy who gave me half a month and said he would pay the rest later in the month, and then I stumbled across the electric co. turning off his electric. To my surprise he moved out, well for the most part, there were some boxes and furniture. Tchnically I was supposed to wait, and give notice, etc. but I figured the hell with it, got rid of the stuff the next day, had the place repainted and good to go the next month. When the last tenants brother came around for the couch and the speakers, OH well. I can't afford to take care of others.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

You wouldn't want to rent to me then. Because I normally wait 5 days after to pay because I normally have to wait for Friday to get the check to him. It's either an issue of just getting up there or getting our checks in the bank first. But our landlord is understanding and it's no biggie. I do get charged an extra $5 if I go past 5 days but that doesn't normally happen.
If he'd just talk to me and tell me what's going on and why I didn't get my money on the 3rd like he said I would I'd be ok, but I can't find him to find this out.

Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I've had and have rental properties. Unfortunately your DH is not acting too wise in this instance. This is your money, I think it is very nice he can afford to support his friends. I only had to get burned once, I do credit checks, get the security and give until the 5th for rent to be in. Fortunately, my tenant upstairs is good about the rent on time. Before her I had a guy who gave me half a month and said he would pay the rest later in the month, and then I stumbled across the electric co. turning off his electric. To my surprise he moved out, well for the most part, there were some boxes and furniture. Tchnically I was supposed to wait, and give notice, etc. but I figured the hell with it, got rid of the stuff the next day, had the place repainted and good to go the next month. When the last tenants brother came around for the couch and the speakers, OH well. I can't afford to take care of others.
Well, I'm going to print up a failure to pay rent notice and put it on his door tomorrow. I guess we'll see what happens. it's the only thing I can do now.
Dh isn't talking to me so I have to wait to get my printer working, or send it to my MIL to print up.
I can't afford to take care of others either, that's why I'm so angry. I feel if you can't be honest with me, I don't need to be renting to you.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you and your husband need to have a very serious talk about this - His friends are taking you for a ride and it seems he doesn't care.

This isn't a great relationship you've got going there if he can't see how frustrating this must be for you.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jane_vernon

I think you and your husband need to have a very serious talk about this - His friends are taking you for a ride and it seems he doesn't care.

This isn't a great relationship you've got going there if he can't see how frustrating this must be for you.
He knows. That's what we are fighting about. He knows I am right and he's not happy about it. I knew this was a bad idea in the beginning and told him this, well I'm not one to say I told you so(unless you make me mad) but today I told him "I told you so." And now he's upset and I'm upset. This is just not worth it.
I hate the rental house. I didn't ask for it. It came with the property. I want to get another house just to get rid of it. I've driven away three of his friends because they are deadbeats and I've told them so. Now they won't talk to us when and if they happen to see us and it upsets DH. But how many times do we have to go through this before his eyes are opened and he goes," oh yeah I guess they ARE walking all over us"?

Other then this stupid rental property, he's a wonderful guy. He's just to trusting(and his friends know it) and that's his downfall.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Explain to your husband that no tenant is worth hurting your relationship with him. Therefore, in future it's best to rent to strangers or aquaintances as you want to keep the landlord/tenant relationship purely professional. I assume you both own the property, so you have the right to make some rules.
Even though your tenant has late payments, has he never not paid or has a check bounced?
I would hold off till next time with the notice on his door (as this could start a feud). When you do finally get the check, go over and give him a serious talking to. Say this is a warning and that next time you will have to take harsher measures and that he can not continue to be your tenant.
I'm not sure where you live (definetly not on a cloud of catnip tonight!), but I know in Canada evicting a tenant can get difficult. Sometimes lawyers are required. Tenants have quite a few rights.
That's why I'm worried if you get him too mad (ie. the note on his door), he could complain to the city and make things difficult. Try to be firm and assertive without causing a big feud. If you do ask him to leave, try to keep it civil so it doesn't get complicated.
Also, you don't want a big fight with your DH. When talking to your DH be clear that you love him, etc. and really don't like this tenant stuff getting inbetween the two of you. Stress the love part and the potential damage to the both of you emotionally. Don't get mad at him or he will only get defensive.
One last thing, in future higher a handyman to fix the place not the tenant as a tenant has the ability to slack-off. Keep all relationships as professional as possible. It's a lot easier to fire a handyman, than it is to get rid of a tenant or force him to do repair work (even though you gave him a generous break on two months rent).
Good luck. Tenant stuff can be really stressful.

That jail excuse really takes the cake!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fred&Nermal

Explain to your husband that no tenant is worth hurting your relationship with him. Therefore, in future it's best to rent to strangers or aquaintances as you want to keep the landlord/tenant relationship purely professional. I assume you both own the property, so you have the right to make some rules.
Even though your tenant has late payments, has he never not paid or has a check bounced?
I would hold off till next time with the notice on his door (as this could start a feud). When you do finally get the check, go over and give him a serious talking to. Say this is a warning and that next time you will have to take harsher measures and that he can not continue to be your tenant.
I'm not sure where you live, but I know in Canada evicting a tenant can get difficult. Sometimes lawyers are required. Tenants have quite a few rights.
That's why I'm worried if you get him too mad (ie. the note on his door), he could complain to the city and make things difficult. Try to be firm and assertive without causing a big feud. If you do ask him to leave, try to keep it civil so it doesn't get complicated.
Also, you don't want a big fight with your DH. When talking to your DH be clear that you love him, etc. and really don't like this tenant stuff getting inbetween the two of you. Stress the love part and the potential damage to the both of you emotionally. Don't get mad at him or he will only get defensive.
One last thing, in future higher a handyman to fix the place not the tenant as a tenant has the ability to slack-off. Keep all relationships as professional as possible. It's a lot easier to fire a handyman, than it is to get rid of a tenant or force him to do repair work (even though you gave him a generous break on two months rent).
Good luck. Tenant stuff can be really stressful.
I agree. The thing is I don't think we are going to get the rent. I think he's going to leave and not tell us. Then not only are we stuck with the rent and lights, but then we have to get the locks changed again, (we gave him the 2nd key and it cannot be duplicated, written on the key itself) and then have to deal with getting our money from him. And hiring someone to finish off the rental anyway. What is going on with people, why can't my DH's friends be trusted?

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being a tenant... I can give you some advice. Never ever ever rent to someone who needs you to front them any amount of money, for any reason, or agree that they can fix it up in return for their rent money. People who are going to be able to pay rent on time are going to be able to pay the security deposit.

And as you already said, I agree, friends don't make good tenants.

But, don't take it personally. If this were all that was wrong, he kind of does have a legitimate excuse for being late on his rent this month. I know it's just the latest in a series of headaches, but bailing his brother out of jail is a good reaosn to be short on cash.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Being a tenant... I can give you some advice. Never ever ever rent to someone who needs you to front them any amount of money, for any reason, or agree that they can fix it up in return for their rent money. People who are going to be able to pay rent on time are going to be able to pay the security deposit.

And as you already said, I agree, friends don't make good tenants.

But, don't take it personally. If this were all that was wrong, he kind of does have a legitimate excuse for being late on his rent this month. I know it's just the latest in a series of headaches, but bailing his brother out of jail is a good reaosn to be short on cash.
But his brother was supposed to be paid Sat morning and that's why he was supposed to give us the rent that afternoon. Ok, no late fees and everything was going to be fine and dandy. But now he's gone, we can't call him, or find him so where do we go now? I am frustrated and angry that Dh let this happen again. He's just so darn trusting and it infuriates me to no end sometimes. I just wish the renter would leave. Shoot we'd be no worse or better then we are now. Just (hopefully) more smarter? Is that a good word?

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, if he doesn't pay then that offers the perfect excuse to be rid of him. Maybe it's just $700 (plus) that you have to swallow and will help your DH learn in future. It sucks for sure, but maybe it is worth it for less future headaches.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did the brother go to jail for something serious and violent? I hate to think that your tenant has connections with someone who went to jail if there was violence involved.

4badcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oooh, so risky renting to friends, isn't it? I really think this guy is taking you for one major ride - I think it's time to put your feet down - set a deadline and leave him a note if you can't get hold of him saying something like - "if you're unable to forward the outstanding amount to us by (date) we will have to reconsider your tenancy (does he have a proper contract?)"

If you let hime carry on line this you're letting yourself get out of pocket, not to mention the hassle this is causing you!!

Good luck