Color enhancing shampoos. (For people)

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried the color enhancing shampoos? I was going to buy a big bottle of the brunette formula but I couldn't justify paying 5 bucks for a bottle of shampoo when I didn't know if it works or not. But I did find a sample for 1 dollar. I'm about to take a shower and see how it works.. Has anyone tried it? Does it work?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been using John Frieda's since I read a suggestion on it on here. My hair is a medium brown, but basically a mixture of all shades of brown. If I part my hair to the side instead of the middle people think I've dyed my hair. Anyway I say all that to say that I've been using the one for lighter brunette's because it seems to bring out the lighter highlights in my hair. So far I love it and I'm on my second bottle. I also noticed that my hair stays cleaner longer with it than what I was using. Not sure if that's from switching shampoos or using a bit higher quality shampoo.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, I use it and I buy the Pantene Blonde Expressions, I am blonde now, and I really like it. I also use the Blonde expressions conditioner too.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried the color enhancing shampoos, but as far as brands go, you get what you pay for IMO.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought the Tresseme color shampoo for red hair and it doesn't really seem to make a difference. But it is for colored hair though. I don't know. I guess it really doesn't matter either way. Tresseme shampoos are harsh on my hair so I think that the color shampoo is a little less harsh at least. I am still looking for a good color enhancer because I need my hair to hold the color longer then 4 weeks. ( darn the gray!)

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At my salon they can make you conditioner with your hair color in it, so that it doesn't wash out. It's not that expensive and it's well worth it. I'd check it out if I were you.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried any of the more inexpensive brands color enhance shampoos. The salon quality ones, though, work pretty well. Again, I haven't tried all of them, but I did use one or two different ones and they were really good. My color (red) didn't fade nearly as quick. On a side note, the only inexpensive shampoo/conditioner that I will use is ColorVive .. it's either L'oreal or Clairol that makes it, and it's really very good. Or, well, it's been about three years since I used it, but at least it used to be.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

At my salon they can make you conditioner with your hair color in it, so that it doesn't wash out. It's not that expensive and it's well worth it. I'd check it out if I were you.
I color my own hair with the box stuff, but that sounds heavenly, I should start going to a salon and having them do that. Problem is, I'm poor and can only afford the box stuff.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check for cosmetology schools in the area. Students have to go through a certain amount of time to get their "hours" and part of that time is "hands-on" in a clinic. Usually... the school will only charge for product, or a very low charge. They're usually a lot cheaper than a salon, and for something like color, there's usually a teacher watching over and color isn't too difficult if you're doing a one step process. It's much easier than doing it yourself, and it's not as costly as a salon, usually. That being said, the Paul Mitchell school here charges as much as a regular salon. But often, you can get it done for about $20 including a tip for the student.

But anyway, back to the original topic.. I also wanted to mention a place that's fairly new on the east coast/USA, and not sure how far they've spread out.. but it's called ColorWorks and they do a whole color makeover.. the point being, that they may create color shampoos and conditioners at their salon. They're supposed to be pretty good, but I haven't tried one yet.

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm blond with fine hair and I used a color enhancing shampoo and conditioner. After about 2 weeks of using it my hair started to fall out in bulk after each shampoo. I switched to Purescription by Aveda and love it. It doesn't claim to highlight your colors, but I do notice that my hair looks lighter.

I have a brunette friend who uses a color enhancing shampoo and conditioner, and her hair looks wonderful. So I don't recommend it if you have fine hair.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might have just been allergic to something in it
. I have fine hair, and I use the Pantene Pro V for lighter brunettes (I think it says toffee and almond? Yes, it does, I just checked
) and I really like it, though it does tend to build up on my fine hair, so I use the Suave version of the for brunettes shampoo and conditioner- I think it's called Brilliant Brunettes? when it starts being limp, plus a washing in Neutogeana. I also use the Suave brunette's shampoo, to off set the cost a bit. There was a coupon for the Pantene in the paper a couple of weeks or so ago for a $1 off, so I bought 2 bottles with my coupons (my mom gives me hers
).

It says it doesn't have any coloring in it, so all I can figure is maybe it has toner in it? It does make my color last A LOT longer- I recolored it yesterday (I do the box too- and cut my own hair
), and I think I may have colored it in early Dec.? I do recolor it to close to the original color, and just have a handful of grey, but the ends always used to bleach out to blonde really quickly between colorings... but this time, they didn't

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to mention that my hair is not artificially colored anymore. This is suppose to bring out the natural highlights I have.. My hair is not completely dry yet but I do see a difference. I suppose I should have taken pics huh.