COMCAST - Getting rid of FOX channels

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am not sure how far Comcast Cable spreads, but IF it is your cable provider, you may want to be aware: currently, they intend to get rid of FOX, FoxSportsNet, and FoxNews whenever the current contract with Fox expires (my source says that is within 6 months).

I encourage you to email Comcast if you don't want to lose these channels. They wrote us back a nice email after we advised them we would be switching to satellite TV (we are addicted to 24 and of course NFL on Sunday in the fall) and said that they appreciated the input on what their customers would do should this not be resolved.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See I heard that if they were going to get rid of it that it was going to be the other day and they were nagotiating and if we had it the next morning then it was all well and everything
and so I stayed up and it never turned off !!! SO we figured we still had it, because of what everyone has said and it was on the one news channel well a few i think and they said it was going to be lost that night if they couldnt negotiate
but wat i dont understand is u dont have to have cable to be able to get fox
so thats just rediculous, idk y they really would want to give all that up, when they did the switch we did loose an espn which my dads not happy about at all and well my dad hates the new on demand crap and i do a little bit, but my dad will never get satelitte or dish or anything
so hopefully they dont loose it because well we will have nothing to watch ever

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, we emailed them yesterday and it is our understanding it will be happening soon, but not immediately. That's why you still have it for now. I'll let you know if I hear when it is going to happen.

I don't want a dish either but I'm a woman of principle and this is the second time COMCAST has annoyed me with their lineup choices so I must stand firm!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was on Time Warner and they couldnt" come to agreement with Fox .... I and many others now have satellite and ... let me say I love the etra channels at a lower price
.... and sweeping off a little snow is nothing to "repair " you signal

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I was on Time Warner and they couldnt" come to agreement with Fox .... I and many others now have satellite and ... let me say I love the etra channels at a lower price
.... and sweeping off a little snow is nothing to "repair " you signal
Time warner has fox in my area still. However they were moved to channel 99 instead of channel 9.

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thats crazy... why are they getting rid of it them? Fox Sports Net is the only channel that shows Sharks games here - we'd be missing like 90% of the games if we lose Fox... this really sucks :/

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard these kinds of warnings before and it always seems like they are able to come to terms before the channels are actually removed. I'd be surprised if they really pulled those channels from Comcast. (Though I'd be more than happy to see Fox News go away.)

cubbie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We lost Fox Sports in Chicago with Comcast a while ago. I find it really hard to believe they will get rid of FOX, but if they do, I'll jump on satellite so fast their heads will spin.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

Time warner has fox in my area still. However they were moved to channel 99 instead of channel 9.
Yeah it was this area do to the contract coming up see we were on Adelpha but TM bought them out and then FOX set a very high price

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This happens from time to time with Dish Network too. Most recently it was Court TV, which I didn't really care about.
But basically it is a bargaining chip. The network don't think that the provider will actually pull their channel(s), and the provider can. Once the channel(s) are actually pulled and the network loses revenue due to commercial time, they will be ready to actually negotiate. It seems that this is becoming more and more common when contracts come due.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Yeah it was this area do to the contract coming up see we were on Adelpha but TM bought them out and then FOX set a very high price
yeah we were on Adelphia too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by joanne511

I've heard these kinds of warnings before and it always seems like they are able to come to terms before the channels are actually removed. I'd be surprised if they really pulled those channels from Comcast. (Though I'd be more than happy to see Fox News go away.)
I hope you are right. The email my husband received back was positive in the sense they were acknowledging that they would risk a loss in a lot of business, both adverstising and customers, if this goes through. Silly contracts I say!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no....life without The Simpsons, 24, American Idol, American Dad, the Tyra Banks show.....SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!!!!!!