Best Cat food? (Non-prescrip.)

cla517

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I need recommendations for a really good non prescription cat food. I have 2 cats, 6 and 7 years old. They are both a little heavy and one has a very sensitive stomach. What can I feed them that isn't just "junk food" from the grocery store? I've been feeding prescription food, but it's very expensive, so I'm looking for other recommendations. Thanks!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think there is much in grocery stores that is decent. Since you're feeding a prescription diet just about anything will be cheaper. Petsmart and petco have a lot of good foods. There's a lot of suggestions already in this section and someone else will be along shortly with some good recommendations

Are you feeding prescription just because of the one cat's sensitive stomach? What kind is it exactly? What ingredients seem to be the cause of your cat's upset stomach? If you can include that info in a post it should help with some food suggestions.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take a look at the Royal Cain line - they do have one for "sensitive stomach" - RC is found in Petsmart or Petco - its a bit on the high side, but much better then your cheaper foods at the grocery store or WalMart!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cla517

I need recommendations for a really good non prescription cat food. I have 2 cats, 6 and 7 years old. They are both a little heavy and one has a very sensitive stomach. What can I feed them that isn't just "junk food" from the grocery store? I've been feeding prescription food, but it's very expensive, so I'm looking for other recommendations. Thanks!
Did the vet put them on a RX diet ??? And did the vet telll you it was okay to go to a NON RX diet???

If yes to question two here are a few foods avail at big box
Nutro natural choice
Sensible choice
Solid gold( this is one I know works but it doesnt read like most "sensitive " tummy foods)
Natural balence venison and pea
Royal canin

tummy cats are often sensitive to corn wheat and fish

Do you feed canned or just dry ???

mia mouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
adding a bitI don't know if this will help...

My sisters cat started spitting up frequently and her vet said she had developed an allergy to certain proteins. That this is an issue for a lot of cats. People don't realize what triggers it because we all tend to think...hair balls.

Is your cat more sensitive to high protein foods? If my sister gives her cat any meat scraps from dinner she will toss up all her food during the night. The vet put her on a prescription diet that is expensive. Once the tummy was settled down she tried some other foods.

She has found that Nutro Natural Choice works for her cat, the green bag.

I use Royal Canin and from what my sister told me the prescription diet costs almost the same as the RC.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boy... a better cat food and cheaper? My votes are for Nutro and Evo (Evo not in grocery stores). They aren't necessarily cheaper but definitely superior. Jake hasn't puked since I started him on canned Evo. He used to puke all the time. I'd come home and there would be spots all over the carpet.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

Boy... a better cat food and cheaper? My votes are for Nutro and Evo (Evo not in grocery stores). They aren't necessarily cheaper but definitely superior. Jake hasn't puked since I started him on canned Evo. He used to puke all the time. I'd come home and there would be spots all over the carpet.
Evo is another doesnt read quite like a senitive tummy but it worked for my dog and the canned cat/dog is a good choice
... I find Evo at my vet but www.naturapet.com will hopefully show where you can get it ... another one made by natura is califonia natural ....

california natural and natural choice would be my top dry picks